so i was considering on a carvin cause its a versitile amp but then i was reading some posts and i heard about traynor. im looking for a tube amp with lots of clean head room and has a good crunch. they both seem to have clean and od but which ones is better ?
traynor ftw
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well....Here's the info we need from you:

What models are you comparing?
What's your budget?
And what kind of music do you play? Genres? Artists you would like to have a similar tone to?

Then we can help you make a decision.

Use smaller words and separate your questions with a line.
traynor ftw man. never liked carvins and never gotten a good sound out of one. traynors are one the best and most underrated amps ever.
Regardless of the virtues and vices of each respective amp company, preferences are wholly subjective. I'd be happy with either if they suited the music I was playing.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Is Fender better than Gibson? Delete this thread.

Is a tree better then a rhinoceros?

WTF are you talking about.

We are talking amps guy. Traynor is an underrated company imo. They make amazing amps that scream. My guitarist uses them and it can keep up fine with my amp (V3 half-stack). Mine gets crunchier/fizzier then his does. Its really warm, really really warm. Maybe thats just the way he has it set?

John, would you like to contribute?
Quote by dogismycopilot

I was comparing the "Traynor vs Carvin" question to the age-old and equally pointless "Fender vs Gibson" question.

I mean, really, this thread is a waste of space. He didn't even ask about various features or tonal differences, just said he wanted "clean and od". Threads like this clog GG&A, and depress me, to boot.

I aggree with what Kendal said.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I was comparing the "Traynor vs Carvin" question to the age-old and equally pointless "Fender vs Gibson" question.

I mean, really, this thread is a waste of space. He didn't even ask about various features or tonal differences, just said he wanted "clean and od". Threads like this clog GG&A, and depress me, to boot.

I aggree with what Kendal said.

Agreed.

Traynors tend to be pretty Marshally. Carvins are brighter, fizzier, and generally have more gain. They're different animals.
Traynor is way better.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by dogismycopilot

We are talking amps guy. Traynor is an underrated company imo. They make amazing amps that scream. My guitarist uses them and it can keep up fine with my amp (V3 half-stack). Mine gets crunchier/fizzier then his does. Its really warm, really really warm. Maybe thats just the way he has it set?

John, would you like to contribute?

I use KT77's in mine, so that adds a lot of bottom-mids crunch. Also, I always keep the gain/bass boost on, since I think it sounds really thin without it, so that adds to the warmth. Plus, I never have my prescence past 12 o'clock.

In any case, Traynor's a great company, one of the sleeper hits. So is Carvin - they make some great amps as well. But it all depends on which models you're looking at, and what your style of music is, before you can determine which one is right for you.
well the thing is im debating on a traynor ycv80 and a carvin bel air. i want something thats tube, price range of around $750 and versitile. heard good things about both but not to sure on which one.
I personally don't think so but there's a 50% chance that the next guy will disagree.
It's all about preference.
Quote by hendrix4934
Traynor is way better.

That response lacks even the slightest bit of human intelligence.
Quote by martian18
well the thing is im debating on a traynor ycv80 and a carvin bel air. i want something thats tube, price range of around $750 and versitile. heard good things about both but not to sure on which one.

A YCV80? Why? The YCV50, YCS50, and YCV40 have plenty of volume for gigs. Most gigs are miked, anyway.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by dogismycopilot
That response lacks even the slightest bit of human intelligence.

why because he has an OPINION!!??
Why? cause i can get a Ycv80 used for 500 bucks off my friend. i could get a new ycv40 for 700. but i might as well get something thats bigger and better for cheaper. ive just been wanting a carvin for a while now but my friend told me about his traynor.

Quote by forsaknazrael
A YCV80? Why? The YCV50, YCS50, and YCV40 have plenty of volume for gigs. Most gigs are miked, anyway.
I have a traynor YCV50 blue custom. It was extremely muddy but as the speakers are settling in it's getting kinda of brighter but you can still dial in a muddy tone if you want in less than 2 seconds.

I'm using it with a crappy guitar at the moment and it sounds fantastic, the cleans are chimey and the overdrive is very versatile. I was playing some Hendrix earlier on the gain channel cause I can't really crank it up to get tube overdrive at the moment and oh god the map sounded really good doing so. Then I was playing "What you're doing" by Rush which is a totally different type of gain, and the traynor pulled it off perfectly.

I have a mediocre clip in my profile, I was warming up along with the tubes.

And it's hard to say if traynor > Carvin or Carvin > traynor cause they have many models and some are more versatile and better sounding in certain areas and some are not.
Quote by ironman1478
why because he has an OPINION!!??

Because he backs it with no evidence.

It's not a matter of "who is better". It is a matter of what your preference is.
Quote by martian18
Why? cause i can get a Ycv80 used for 500 bucks off my friend. i could get a new ycv40 for 700. but i might as well get something thats bigger and better for cheaper. ive just been wanting a carvin for a while now but my friend told me about his traynor.

well, the YCV80 isn't necessarily better than a YCV40 just because it's bigger...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Traynors tend to be pretty Marshally. Carvins are brighter, fizzier, and generally have more gain. They're different animals.

Actually, most Carvin amps have a dark sound and less gain than something like a Traynor.

Quote by martian18

What type of music are you playing? You've yet to be specific or provide much information and are more concerned about which amp is 'better.' Clean headroom and a good crunch isn't specific at all.