I'm playing a battle of the bands where they are providing the amps and drums, as to ensure a little more an equal playing field for the guitars and such. Thing is, They onyl told us Marshall JCM Halfstacks. So i don't know any settings that would be good for it. I'm looking for a really strong crushing distortion, as i do a lot of rythem work for the band, and all the breakdowns start and are pushed by me, i need a strong crushing distortion. I'm running it Throguh a Les Paul with Seymour Duncan Mayhems. Any Ideas?
This won't be easy since there's a lot of difference between an 800 and a 2000. What kind of music do you play?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
If you have some sort of an OD pedal, might be a good idea to bring it just in case (use lots of level, gain at zero) it's a JCM 800 (they don't have too much preamp gain I believe).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Well considering its not a BIG battle, its a central columbus one, and tickets are 12 bucks for a 12 hour show, i doubt they will be 2000's one could dream though. Either way JCMs....more than what i run now, I jsut don't have an OD pedal, as i use a Spider II and its distortion is pretty decent.

The style i play is in teh vien of bands like,

Hopes Die Last
Alesana
A Skylit Drive
Blessthefall
Devil Wears Prada
Last edited by Phoenix-Kun at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
Well considering its not a BIG battle, its a central columbus one, and tickets are 12 bucks for a 12 hour show, i doubt they will be 2000's one could dream though. Either way JCMs....more than what i run now, I jsut don't have an OD pedal, as i use a Spider II and its distortion is pretty decent.

Umm, I believe JCM 800's and 900's are usually more highly regarded than 2000's? Of course that depends on whether you play modern high gain metal or not, but still. I'm not aware of the bands you named, but I believe 800 goes up to classic rock gain, 900 hard rock (maybe some metal), and 2000 gets a lot of gain. So you might want to take a OD pedal if you need lots of gain (and the amps happen to be 800's).
Quote by Lunchbox362
Thats me being a n00b abotu high end amps for ya. I don't really dig the classic rock gain, at least not for this style. Think hardcore, Like Bury your dead, and unearth kinda breakdowns. Thats the level gain i need. If i Need an OD pedal, what kind would be good?
Do you have any pedals? If not, do you have a budget? A cheap OD pedal would be a Digitech Bad Monkey, but I'm not sure if that can get enough distortion out of a JCM 800.
Quote by Lunchbox362
i am on an extreme budget, but i know some people i can borrow from. I was thinking of the Metal Zone
The Metal Zone is a distortion pedal, not an OD pedal (and a lot of people hate it). But it'll probably work if there's nothing better. Just use it on the clean channel.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Last edited by Fama at Apr 26, 2008,
Why do people hate it? I ran it through my 212 combo, on clean, it sounded decent. What pedal would you reccomend
The JCM800 is the amp they built metal on - the JCM2000 doesn't come close. If they're JCM 800's or 900's then you're sorted, but even the newer models will sound plenty good enough for you.

Just crank the things and you'll be good to go - don't worry about preamp gain too much, distortion is only one component of a good tone. Just plug straight in, even through a JCM2000 I guarantee you'll never have sounded as good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hahahahahaha I love your SIG!

I've not played Tube Either, so this will be interesting, i hate tha ti won't have time to play with them much before we perform. Any tips or tricks to these bad boys?
Presence-8
Treble-7
Middle-8
Bass-7
Post Gain-Whatever the appropriate volume is
Preamp Gain-9
Then use an OD pedal to boost it.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by steven seagull
The JCM800 is the amp they built metal on - the JCM2000 doesn't come close. If they're JCM 800's or 900's then you're sorted, but even the newer models will sound plenty good enough for you.

Just crank the things and you'll be good to go - don't worry about preamp gain too much, distortion is only one component of a good tone. Just plug straight in, even through a JCM2000 I guarantee you'll never have sounded as good.

Listen to steven seagull, he knows what he's talking about (more than I do).
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
hahahahahaha I love your SIG!

I've not played Tube Either, so this will be interesting, i hate tha ti won't have time to play with them much before we perform. Any tips or tricks to these bad boys?

There's a few things to keep in mind

Mids are your friend, don't be tempted to drop the mids - that's a cheat's way to fudge a "heavy" sound but it only really works at low volumes with sub-par equipment...the midrange is where most of an amp's power lies, if you throttle the mids you throttle the amp.

The amps will get distortion from both the preamp and power amp so make sure you're running them at a decent volume, don't just be whack the preamp gain up to 9 and hope for the best.

Tube amps are very responsive and dynamic, they'll have channel switching but you can vary your tone immensely simply by changing your pick attack. Even on the lead channel picking softly and lowering the guitar volume a bit will give you a surprisingly clean tone.

Feedback is your friend - tube amps feed back nicely, and there'll also be spots where the sound pressure is just enough to keep the strings vibrating but not too much to send things into full-blown feedback and that means endless sustain. If you get a chance to soundcheck ave a play with the feedback and see if you can locate those spots...you could even mark them with tape.

Whilst the Metal Zone isn't going to be any use to you an overdrive or EQ pedal might come in handy - if you're on a tight budget a Digitech Bad Monkey is about $40, Danelectro Fish and Chips $15, or even a Boss DS1. An EQ will give you more tone shaping options and a bit of a gain boost, an overdrive or DS1 would be used to colour the sound slightly and boost it a little. Remember, the amp already has a decent amount of gain and a good tone so you don't need a pedal to "create" the tone for you so you'd keep the gain down at 0 but put the level up full - that will add a bit of gain and tighten up the sound a bit if you need it, using a DS-1 in that way will make things a little dirtier than using an overdrive but it can work well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I actually have a DS1, i hate the little bugger on solid state amps, its really muddy and dosn't cut well, would it have that effect on a tube?
^ Turn up the volume on it max and turn the disto to around 2, then into the tube amp
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
I actually have a DS1, i hate the little bugger on solid state amps, its really muddy and dosn't cut well, would it have that effect on a tube?

Take it and try what Horlicks said, you might be pleasantly surprised or it might sound like turd.

Boss pedals are funny buggers, I don't mind their modulation stuff but their distortions simply don't work for me as stand-alone units, save possibly for the Blues Driver, however they can be pretty effective when used in conjunction with good amp distortion for tone tweaking. Just keep the distortion low, if not at 0, and the level up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

use your ears - do it there and then while the people are coming in or something

you can set an amp up perfectly for a venue then 200 people come in - the acoustics just change instantly.
Any JCM Marshall will be able to handle copious amounts of gain.

I would imagine the show is bein sponsored by a music store of some sort that is showin off the amps as advertisement. Unless its an MG you should be set. If it turns out to be the new JVM, you may need a bit of time with it, as it's got kinduva crazy footswitch, but otherwise Marshalls are about as user friendly as it gets.