Page 1 of 4
I don't know if this thread will last but I thought it'd be pretty fun to see what non-metalheads say about metal (especially extreme metal).

My friend Nick, an avid techno fan says of Hate Eternal - Beyond Redemption: "This is just shit it's not even music". So I figured I should play him something a little less extreme.

I played him Dark Tranquillity - Punish My Heaven. "This is shit too, it's exactly like the last one". That was funny.

My girlfriend listens to whatever's on the radio and she said of Hate Eternal the same as Nick, she said Dark Tranquillity and In Flames: "it sounds good, until some weiner comes on and starts screaming".

Extreme metal in general: "i think screaming sounds gay but i find growling tolerable"

She said of Behemoth: "it sounds like its recorded with a phone in a garage" (early Behemoth). "i'm listening to temple of evil from the first album which is one of the last songs and it has a bit of screaming in it but its not too bad. probably cuz its more like growling!" "it reminds me of haunted house type music" "their first album is weird its alright but i dont really like their newer stuff"
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Put this in the Pit and I guarantee you a one-way ticket to an e-shitstorm.

But as far as people I know, the opinions are generally the same. But I don't shove it down their throats or expect them to like it so it doesn't really bother me.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
I think it's okay, I can't listen to whole album of it though, it starts to annoy me. Stuff like Cannibal Corpse is sh*t. I like screaming but...
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Dyer's Eve, that's why I didn't post it in the pit.

Am hoping for funny 'stories' like thinking Hate Eternal = Dark Tranquillity

lol
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

It kinda depends on the band for me. I cant stand some stuff like As I Lay Dying, but i can listen to even more extreme stiff like some Lair of the Minotaur and Pig Destroyer stuff. Clean vocals in metal are more appealing to me than just screaming or growling all the time. And I do think alot of extreme metal songs in the same genre sound too similar to be interesting to me.
I like some metal. But sometimes it's just over the top. Some metal has really muddy distortion. Now that, I hate. But in general, it's alright.
It's funny when metalheads post what their friends say about their music. Because they actually recognise how funny it is when somebody says for example that Hate Eternal sound like Dark Tranquillity.

I hate a funny one,

this girl I know listens to random assortments of metal, from very good to extremely bad. From Pantera to the Haunted. Here are some funny thoughts, in reference to an assortment of bands. Warning, one mentioned band is clearly not what we consider metal.

"Is he singing out of his nose?" (about M. Shadows, A7x)

"It sounds great, until the regular singing comes in, then they just sound whiny..." (about Metallica and Machine Head)

"...This is just really weird." (Children of Bodom)
Actually, there is the one humorous story. It's probably one of those funny if you're there things though.

Basically, Me and another mate were trying to get a band going and we had another friend who was a Metallica nut. He didn't really click with what we were playing but he still wanted to be the vocalist. Apparently he did a great James Hetfield. Right, whatever, so we politely declined.

A month or so later, he stumbles across the quality that is Carcass' Heartwork. And he asks us 'Is this what you guys are looking for? It was closer to the mark, and he said he could pull it off. We were skeptical, but we thought, "why not, whats the worst that could happen". So he goes off and says he'll be over in a bit. So we get jamming along to Heartwork and about 2-3 hours later he's back, huffing and puffing and reeking of cigarettes.

"I figured that the best way to get those growly vocals is to get my throat loaded with tar, so I smoked a pack of Marlboro while I was gone". Suffice to say, we found this fucking hilarious and also suffice to say, he sounded pretty crappy.

Yeah...
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
I usually play people some Opeth. Their faces droop when Akerfeldt starts growling.

And I feel smugly superior in my shell of Hessian superiority.

In all seriousness, I gave up trying to tell people why I like metal, as it's like explaining philosophy to a table. Most people just won't listen. Most of them say it all sounds the same, has no melody, is too sonically dense...
Quote by webbtje
I usually play people some Opeth. Their faces droop when AKerfeldt starts growling.

And I feel smugly superior in my shell of Hessian superiority.

In all seriousness, I gave up trying to tell people why I like metal, as it's like explaining philosophy to a table. Most of them say it all sounds the same, has no melody, is too sonically dense...

Too sonically dense? Oh I get that all the time. My friends never cease to talk about soundwaves. Bloody typical.

Same though, I've completely given up. In my circle of friends, only I listen to 'true' metal, as it were. It makes me die a little inside when they say things like "yea, all your emo screamo shit sounds the same to me" whilst listening to 50 Cent's latest hit. :'(
You don't need to go much into it when explaining to techno fans why you like metal. You can end it at 'they play musical instruments'.

Quote by MHDrunk
You don't need to go much into it when explaining to techno fans why you like metal. You can end it at 'they play musical instruments'.

Mind out for techno elitists. They hunt in packs.

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Too sonically dense? Oh I get that all the time. My friends never cease to talk about soundwaves. Bloody typical.

I mean in terms of production. The sonic equivalent of being hit in the face by most of Northern America is what I chase after, thus my liking Meshuggah, SYL/Devy, Gojira... most people just don't like that. They prefer repetitive beats (RnB style) or massive gaps in what you hear (a lot of lo-fi stuff, a lot of indie). Even when I didn't like metal, I preferred stuff to sound full... that's a lot of it, I think.
"All metal bands sound exactly the same"

olololol...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by webbtje
I mean in terms of production. The sonic equivalent of being hit in the face by most of Northern America is what I chase after, thus my liking Meshuggah, SYL/Devy, Gojira... most people just don't like that. They prefer repetitive beats (RnB style) or massive gaps in what you hear (a lot of lo-fi stuff, a lot of indie). Even when I didn't like metal, I preferred stuff to sound full... that's a lot of it, I think.

You're like me man.
You like the whole
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
NOW YOU HAVE NO SPLEEN
BAM!
Noise
You guys should check out Conqueror - War Cult Supremacy and some Revenge if you want to be smashed by both north and south america at the same time

Lol. Try blogsearch. They're war metal = grind/black/death and about 3x as fast as anything from the aforementioned genres (except grind)

I am JUST as ignorant as regards most other music genres as my friends are to metal, so I cant say much.. But I am bigger than them so I always win the argument in the end.

jk.

It was pretty funny in the record shop the other day, I bought a Revenge album and the owner was like 'the new HIM album came in today as well If you want to pick that up'.. I politely declined.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I got accosted by a saleswoman the other day.

"You like heavy stuff? You should SOOOO buy some Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. It's SOOOOO heavy."

I showed her the Akercocke CD I was carrying.

She left.

I felt smug.
Quote by weemansyndrome
I think it's okay, I can't listen to whole album of it though, it starts to annoy me. Stuff like Cannibal Corpse is sh*t. I like screaming but...

Same.

I like screaming, I listen to alot of bands that have 99% screaming vocals (Darkest Hour, August Burns Red, BTBAM, All Shall Perish etc.)

But I can't stand sh*t like Behemoth or Cannibal Corpse/ Any other black metal
I think they're terrible.

Just my 2cents
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Revenge - Victory.Intolerance.Mastery: http://rarme.com/?kB3Zb
the password is www.thrashmageddon.com

From MHDrunk's profile page :P

Thanks haha

Quote by Stranglehold
I am JUST as ignorant as regards most other music genres as my friends are to metal, so I cant say much.. But I am bigger than them so I always win the argument in the end.

jk.

It was pretty funny in the record shop the other day, I bought a Revenge album and the owner was like 'the new HIM album came in today as well If you want to pick that up'.. I politely declined.

You found Revenge in a record shop? Lol

Quote by webbtje
I got accosted by a saleswoman the other day.

"You like heavy stuff? You should SOOOO buy some Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. It's SOOOOO heavy."

I showed her the Akercocke CD I was carrying.

She left.

I felt smug.

I go in HMV just to go through the metal section and scoff at all the bands that aren't metal.

Smugness ftw.
Quote by Coheed777
Same.

I like screaming, I listen to alot of bands that have 99% screaming vocals (Darkest Hour, August Burns Red, BTBAM, etc.)

But I can't stand sh*t like Behemoth or Cnanibal Corpse.

Just my 2cents

Do not put the word 'shit' in the same sentence as the word 'Behemoth', unless the sentence is 'Behemoth are the shit', please.
Quote by MHDrunk
Thanks haha

You found Revenge in a record shop? Lol

Victory.Intolerance.Mastery. in the €10 bargain bin, behind a System of A Down and Disiplin album
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Lol fair effort. I remember a few years back Sanity over here (like HMV, Virgin Records, **** mainstream music) had a massive sale where they just got rid of all their cds without covers, i found some gems in that

Quote by webbtje
Do not put the word 'shit' in the same sentence as the word 'Behemoth', unless the sentence is 'Behemoth are the shit', please.

No thanks.

I can't stand them.

But whatever floats your boat.
Quote by Coheed777
I like screaming, I listen to alot of bands that have 99% screaming vocals (Darkest Hour, August Burns Red, BTBAM, All Shall Perish etc.)

That's because you don't have enough testosterone.

Metal = manly

Your music = girly

Just my 2 cents.
This thread is just attracting all the kids from the other genres... lol

Quote by UncleCthulhu
That's because you don't have enough testosterone.

Metal = manly

Your music = girly

Just my 2 cents.

Haha, ok, sure.

Just because I don't like music that centers nearly all around death and core, with incomprehensible vocals with lyrics themes of entrails, sacrificing, and all that random B.S makes me a girl.

Mhm

I <3 elitists.
Quote by Coheed777
Same.

Just my 2cents

It's funny cause if you actually listen, most of those bands (who are death metal btw), are much more talented, and in general, sound better than ****ty deathcore/metalcore. Especially the vocals, which really arent too different, except that Corpsegrinder sounds awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw

EDIT: Read. Behemoth's lyrics are more themed about random ancient cultures and crap. Whereas CC's lyrics arent supposed to be taken seriously. They fit the exceedingly aggressive music, but that doesnt mean they're serious.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Coheed777

Just because I don't like music that centers nearly all around death and core,

Lol, everything you said you listen to involves some kind of core influence and some kind of death influence. Stop talking out of your arse.

And I'm no elitist. Got nothing against deathcore, metalcore, whatever. I just dislike hearing Behemoth and CC being called 'shit'.

Back on topic, most non-metal people can understand thrash, I've found. Mostly because it's not as dense as many kinds of metal.
I find a lot of people get into metal through thrash, and old stuff like Priest and Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
I find a lot of people get into metal through thrash, and old stuff like Priest and Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden.

Yeah, most people can identify with stuff that has a strong sense of melody. Even if a lot of people I know recoil at the mention of Black Sabbath
Quote by webbtje
Yeah, most people can identify with stuff that has a strong sense of melody. Even if a lot of people I know recoil at the mention of Black Sabbath

This has always confused me.

It's like they havent heard Sabbath's random psychadelic stuff. Or, they just dont realize that: Take Led Zeppelin, multiply the heaviness by about 10, you get Sabbath. Otherwise, they're both rather similar, blues based and whatnot.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Nah, I know people who are repelled by stuff they reckon to be 'satanic'. Given the music without knowing who wrote it, the creepiness of some tracks might put them off, but they generally won't mind it. When they're told who it's by, they blanch.
Quote by MHDrunk
Nothing wrong with elitists. Go back to the hardcore forum. The Metal forum is no place for a semen swigging, condom farting monkey like you.

Haha, wow dude.
Nothing better do to than insult people on an internet forum for expressing their opinion? Nice one.

anywho.

When I said I don't like music revolving around death and "core", I don't know why I said core, I guess I just wasn't paying attention, because I'm aware my music has alot of core influence. I have nothing against Behemoth, CC, etc. or all of them either, I just flatout don't like their music.

Its a thread about non-metal opinions about music, or at least thats what the title leads to be.

I'm none a huge death/grind/black metal fan, so I just posted my opinion.

But I'm just gonna go leave the thread now so I don't turn it into a blah vs. blah type thread, and let the main topic keep its course.
But you seriously shouldn't give people **** for what they listen to.
okay, this thread is going to end in/ already is a flame fest...just throwing that out there.

on another note, thanks for the rapidshare earlier, lol.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Page 1 of 4