If you look on eBay copies from the 70's occasionally pop up. If youre looking round shops Tokai do a copy.
^Yeah, the whole idea of the SG as a bass isn't really all that great. You'd have to change a lot about the bass to make it practical. Gibson didn't, released one, and if you play one you will have proven my point yourself.
The Gibson EB0 & EB3 (SG Shape) were always very mediocre Basses just jumping on the 60s Guitar boom bandwagon, even with decent electronics they were never going to balance well so as an all round instrument; visualy great, practical-wise poor.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
yeah well he didnt ask 'should i buy an sg bass'
he asked where could he get a copy one
and i agree ebay sounds like the best chance

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
and i agree ebay sounds like the best chancexx

Regardles of that passing on experience instead of "I could have told you that" is the right thing to do
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by shinhoman
and i agree ebay sounds like the best chance

xx

well Duh! he asked where to get a good SG bass, and the regs were just pointing out that the SG bass is generally not a good design for bass. i owned an SG bass copy as a first bass, and i almost gave up the instrument all together until i found out, that All basses weren't as difficult to play mine was. to the TS, you may find an SG bass, but you won't find a good one. it's a bad design for bass.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
well Duh! he asked where to get a good SG bass, and the regs were just pointing out that the SG bass is generally not a good design for bass. i owned an SG bass copy as a first bass, and i almost gave up the instrument all together until i found out, that All basses weren't as difficult to play mine was. to the TS, you may find an SG bass, but you won't find a good one. it's a bad design for bass.

ah really? damn, i dont want playability ruined by looks....what would you guys suggest instead? not really looking for a fender style one if i can help it
ESP do the viper i think its called which if your looking for an SG bass, its the one to go for.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
SG basses look like big guitars with 2 missing strings and the other strings are just bigger
and the desing is not practical at all
the same with LP basses
i would suggest to try diferent basses in a store and then look a copy a bass you like(unless you really like SG bass)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I have to admit I would like to find SG bass copies as well, I for one do NOT want to spend $1,200 for a white SG bass.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I know the whole point of this thread is you don't want an epiphone, but try a Thunderbird, it is good, it's what I have and started with.

Althought it is top heavy which is a little annoying it's got a great shape and sound, reasonably easy to play once you get used to it (will only take a couple of hours of playing).

you can get them for about 230£.