When I bend strings, a lot of the time, I either release it and it buzzes open, or as I bend up, the finger hits a higher string, sounding it and sounding cr*p. How do I stop that happening? I have no idea why it happens!!
action may be to low try that
Member #2 of the dean owners club, PM g1asseye to join.

92% of teens have moved on to rap repost this if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music

Rock IN Peace Darrell Lance Abbott \m/
Yeah, you may have to adjust the action on your bridge.

Unfortunately, my guitar gets a bit of fret buzz at some locations due to a manufacturing defect. It's not too bad, but I'm gonna take it back one day and demand they equip me with a new neck, or hell will be raised.

It may also need neck adjustment.
Quote by gabcd86
When I bend strings, a lot of the time, I either release it and it buzzes open, or as I bend up, the finger hits a higher string, sounding it and sounding cr*p. How do I stop that happening? I have no idea why it happens!!

A good way for the others strings not sounding togheter the bend string is bending with the 3th finger and "mutting" the higher and lower strings with the 1st and 2nd fingers respectively.That works fine to me.
Bruno
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Use some palm muting.

That's actually what I have to resort to when I play on the thicker strings at certain parts of the neck.

I desperately need to fix this.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What's wrong with palm muting?

PLENTY!

No, actually, I'd just like to eliminate the buzz and vary my techniques a little. Kinda ruins the sweeping effect when you have to palm mute certain notes.

As soon as I get a little cash...
Quote by Archaon
PLENTY!

No, actually, I'd just like to eliminate the buzz and vary my techniques a little. Kinda ruins the sweeping effect when you have to palm mute certain notes.

As soon as I get a little cash...

You might just have to have your truss rod adjusted.
Quote by 3rd Eye
You might just have to have your truss rod adjusted.

Yes, I've tried it and it did make it better, but the problem is in the manufacturing of the neck. It IS slightly defected and I won't completely get rid of the buzz unless I get it replaced.

It's not terrible, but it's more than annoying and slightly discouraging.
Quote by Archaon
Kinda ruins the sweeping effect when you have to palm mute certain notes.
You shouldn't have to palm mute when you sweep; rolling your finger should work.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You shouldn't have to palm mute when you sweep; rolling your finger should work.

Yes, but in certain areas it's not entirely applicable.
Quote by fixationdarknes
True dat. All things aside, I think palm muting arpeggios can sound pretty badass.

Yeah, I love palm muting when I'm picking some arps, but I'd like to have my options open.
cr*p

Anyway, it's most likely your technique. Either you simply don't have quite enough precision yet, or you're doing something awkwardly and you don't even know it. How many fingers do you use? Do you have the thumb over the neck or behind it, and do you use your arm or your wrist (or maybe just fingers)? Some pictures would be pretty nice too.
Quote by which ones pink
cr*p

Anyway, it's most likely your technique. Either you simply don't have quite enough precision yet, or you're doing something awkwardly and you don't even know it. How many fingers do you use? Do you have the thumb over the neck or behind it, and do you use your arm or your wrist (or maybe just fingers)? Some pictures would be pretty nice too.

I've been told I swear too much, so I was minimising it :P
I'll try and put up some pics if possible, but thanks for the help people. I attempted to check the action on the guitar, and it looked pretty straight, but the bridge was in the way, so i couldn't really see
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Actually, I find a good combination of both to give a really clean fluid sound for me. I meant by muting the string I just picked, but I'm sure you understood that. Not actually playing each note palm muted.
+1 to muting...

But I ALWAYS mute every string I am not playing.

I mute everything higher than my note with my left hand and everything lower with the right (picking hand.) Opposite if you're a lefty, obviously.

I even mute the notes I'm playing a bit to gain some control over the darkness/brightness of the notes, their dynamics and so on. Actually I'd just assume rip the Tone knob off my guitar as I do it this way! Screw that damn knob.

You muting is probably your #1 most important technique besides keeping time.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."