So I'm pretty much only using the major pentatonic when I solo, the D major if the song is in D and so forth.

But let's say I have a song with the chord progression B, A, E and for the bridges C#m, A, B, E... instead of using the E major pentatonic for my improv, which minor pentatonic or other scale can I use to spice it up?

I'm trying to learn modes and stuff, but I'm not quite there yet so I'd be glad for any kind of help.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
You could just use the E minor pentatonic, to get that bluesy sound from the b7 and the juxtaposition of the 3 and b3.
Quote by blue_strat
You could just use the E minor pentatonic, to get that bluesy sound from the b7 and the juxtaposition of the 3 and b3.
No, nothing implies an E7 chord, and the progression actually is very major in nature rather than bluesy. The Em Pentatonic will likely sound bad over that, but give it a try and see what happens.
Try E Blues for shi*s and giggles and see how it sounds.

Edit: Just listen to Sue^, I'm a dumbass
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No, nothing implies an E7 chord, and the progression actually is very major in nature rather than bluesy. The Em Pentatonic will likely sound bad over that, but give it a try and see what happens.

Am I totally off here, or is the Em pentatonic the same as the G major pentatonic?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
Am I totally off here, or is the Em pentatonic the same as the G major pentatonic?

E minor is the relative minor of G major. That means they both share the same amount of sharps/flats which in this case is just F#. Besides that they are completely different.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Demon Wolf
Easy Answer: Yes

For now, go with that.

Complex Answer: They do contain the same notes. However, a scale is not a pattern (that should go on my tombstone). It exists all over the neck. If you play your "Em Pentatonic" pattern at the 12th fret over a G chord, it is the G major pentatonic scale. It should make sense that the notes G A B D E over a G chord are the G major pentatonic.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Easy Answer: Yes

For now, go with that.

Complex Answer: They do contain the same notes. However, a scale is not a pattern (that should go on my tombstone). It exists all over the neck. If you play your "Em Pentatonic" pattern at the 12th fret over a G chord, it is the G major pentatonic scale. It should make sense that the notes G A B D E over a G chord are the G major pentatonic.

Oh I see. Thanks alot. It all makes sense now.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Much like a major key and its relative minor contain the same notes, a major pentatonic and its relative minor pentatonic contain the same notes. What makes them different is the harmonic context. As BGC said, playing Em pentatonic over G major is not Em pentatonic at all. It is the G major pentatonic.

Now as to spicing up your soloing. Since you're primarily using the major pentatonic I'm guessing you haven't really tried arpeggiation too much. I'm guessing you know the basics of what it is, but by arpeggiation I don't just mean monstrous sweeps. I mean playing chord tones. Pentatonics don't allow for you to hit all of them. In that C#m A B E progression, that A chord contains A, C#, and E. The E major pentatonic(as well as the C# minor pentatonic) does not contain an A. A great approach to this kind of thing is to solo chord by chord, rather than taking the key of the chord progression and running wild in the scale. Playing chord by chord, however, does not mean ONLY playing chord tones. While those are your "safe" notes, the trick is not to know only what notes are in the chord, but how you want to interact with it. Playing only chord tones will get bland after a while. Watch Melodic Control(BGC's sig) and Marty Friedman explains this further.
Quote by grampastumpy
Much like a major key and its relative minor contain the same notes, a major pentatonic and its relative minor pentatonic contain the same notes. What makes them different is the harmonic context. As BGC said, playing Em pentatonic over G major is not Em pentatonic at all. It is the G major pentatonic.

Now as to spicing up your soloing. Since you're primarily using the major pentatonic I'm guessing you haven't really tried arpeggiation too much. I'm guessing you know the basics of what it is, but by arpeggiation I don't just mean monstrous sweeps. I mean playing chord tones. Pentatonics don't allow for you to hit all of them. In that C#m A B E progression, that A chord contains A, C#, and E. The E major pentatonic(as well as the C# minor pentatonic) does not contain an A. A great approach to this kind of thing is to solo chord by chord, rather than taking the key of the chord progression and running wild in the scale. Playing chord by chord, however, does not mean ONLY playing chord tones. While those are your "safe" notes, the trick is not to know only what notes are in the chord, but how you want to interact with it. Playing only chord tones will get bland after a while. Watch Melodic Control(BGC's sig) and Marty Friedman explains this further.

Great post and provides alot of help. Thanks for all your time people, I'll see what I can come up with.
Quote by Ichikurosaki