Okay so here's the deal, I have a part-time job and get paid monthly, it sucks

So I got paid yesterday and im able to pay off the rest of the deposit for a new amp today, except my parents won't do the 40 minute drive it takes to get to the guitar shop

I would just except this as it is, but a month or two ago they went on like a 2 hour drive to get my younger sister a flute! Unfair?

Anyway, was just wondering if any of the Pit UGers have every felt that playing guitar and stuff was sort of overlooked in your family home? It seems that if I played a classical instrument I might have had a better case.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
i have to drive an hour to get to the guitar store i go to...Guitar Center in the states..the guitar stores in my area are quite expensive..it's hard to get to guitar center and back with rents.
My parents don't really support me. They don't discourage me, but they don't really support me. Not when it comes to either trumpet or guitar. I've been asking for a new trumpet for a few years now, and they won't do it...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
My mum probably doesn't notice I play guitar but dad is always wanting to hear me play stuff. So when I got my guitar we ran around all day trying to find it, took 4 hours I'd say. And when we got the amp we had to drive a few hours away. So basically I love my dad.
Plus if I ever need strings we're out the door in a sec.
Quote by #1 synth
Brilliant

Quote by Pl3h-B0y
nachocheeez, that was awesome.
Quote by nachocheeez
My mum probably doesn't notice I play guitar but dad is always wanting to hear me play stuff. So when I got my guitar we ran around all day trying to find it, took 4 hours I'd say. And when we got the amp we had to drive a few hours away. So basically I love my dad.
Plus if I ever need strings we're out the door in a sec.

You lucky bast' lol

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
My parents support anything I have a passion for.

Though I'd think that being a misunderstood musician would make me feel a bit cooler...even if it is inconvenient...

My sister always get stuff like that. I'm the family's black sheep
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
lol, that sucks. My dad pretends he doesn't care, and whenever he takes me to guitarcenter (well not anymore, I take myself) he says "ok let's just get in and out I don't wanna be here forever." Then we get there, he sees the drums section and plays around in there for a while. Gets him everytime lol.
my step dad is a guitarist, so theres no question there. thanks to him, i managed to get a brand new 1200 dollar acoustic for 300 out of my pocket haha. he helped out quite a bit. my real dad, who i live with half the time, isnt a musician, but by no means does he discourage me. so yeah, ive got it set good.
Quote by Mazzakazza
No. My parents pretty much encourage me, except late at night when they tell me to stfu.

Exactly the same
My parents know nothing of music. To them everyone has to get 100% in math and become a rocket scientist, and there's no need for arts in this world. But still they don't really discourage my playing. They do rant about me not getting 90%+ in my classes but yeah they did buy me an 800$ amp two weeks ago(I have to pay 2/3 of it, which is just fair)
Quote by Hannakins
My parents support anything I have a passion for.

Though I'd think that being a misunderstood musician would make me feel a bit cooler...even if it is inconvenient...

lol yea, maybe I should just play the misunderstood guitarist now...

ya' know, like 'people just don't get how emotional and deep I am'

that might work with the ladies? lol

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30

So I got paid yesterday and im able to pay off the rest of the deposit for a new amp today, except my parents won't do the 40 minute drive it takes to get to the guitar shop

I would just except this as it is, but a month or two ago they went on like a 2 hour drive to get my younger sister a flute! Unfair?

Anyway, was just wondering if any of the Pit UGers have every felt that playing guitar and stuff was sort of overlooked in your family home? It seems that if I played a classical instrument I might have had a better case.

If you can't drive for whatever reason, cycle. There's nothing I love more than setting off to town to the music shop on my bike... I'm not old enough to drive yet. If I were you I'd get a bike trailer, so you can haul your amp home. For guitars I have a gig bag suitable for a Strat, and that has backpack straps on it. So if I were to buy a new guitar, I'd put on my empty gig bag, set off to town, buy the guitar, and bring it home safely on my back. Wonderful.

Plus you get to smell bakeries.
my dad encourages me playing guitar because he's played for 40 years...it gets me access to some very nice gear
My parents don't buy me shit. . They don't drive me anywhere.
And it's a damn good thing too!!!!!! The thought of them driving scares the hell out of me.

I just looked around my home and saw 4 guitars 2 basses and 3 amps without moving. Damn kids need to start puttin' their crap away.
Damn nm most of its mine.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Last edited by Jackal58 at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by screwup30
lol yea, maybe I should just play the misunderstood guitarist now...

ya' know, like 'people just don't get how emotional and deep I am'

that might work with the ladies? lol

Maybe.

You might just end up getting laughed at, though.

Quote by EJD
If you can't drive for whatever reason, cycle. There's nothing I love more than setting off to town to the music shop on my bike... I'm not old enough to drive yet. If I were you I'd get a bike trailer, so you can haul your amp home. For guitars I have a gig bag suitable for a Strat, and that has backpack straps on it. So if I were to buy a new guitar, I'd put on my empty gig bag, set off to town, buy the guitar, and bring it home safely on my back. Wonderful.

Plus you get to smell bakeries.

Not a bad idea, but I think it's illegal here to cycle on a motorway.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
I know what you mean. I have noticed that in general guitarists have had a really bad name at times. I mean, I'm doing A-level music, and I know that when I walk into class it's like "Oh, he doesn't play piano primarily, and have a back catalogue of seven other classical instruments under his belt. Hmm." I, in actual fact, have played drums, electric bass, violin and piano for four years a piece, and electric guitar is the one I am best at. What is it that gives us this negative name? It's probably the hair or something, after all, we are all druggies, and will most CERTAINLY only bring shame to our family names with our drug fueled on-stage antics.
Quote by Hannakins
Maybe.

You might just end up getting laughed at, though.

True, but then I could just say im used to being laughed at, because im always misunderstood that'd win them over lol

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
well, you already have a guitar. your sister didn't already have a flute. plus, maybe your parents were tired/busy/had more important things to worry about?

get a bus or something. and stop whinging about how unfair it is, because it's really not.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Mazzakazza
No. My parents pretty much encourage me, except late at night when they tell me to stfu.

Same

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
My mom hates driving to the nearest guitarcenter which is about 40 minutes each way, I can only go if I'm buying something I can't get at the local music shop or trying something that's only there. My dad will take me just about anywhere to save a few bucks, haha. I was about to get my Vox 30w at GC for $250, but I saw on craigslist someone was selling one for $150 about an hour away, and my dad was like lets go! Haha. Bargained the guy down to $130 cash btw
Quote by esther_mouse
well, you already have a guitar. your sister didn't already have a flute. plus, maybe your parents were tired/busy/had more important things to worry about?

get a bus or something. and stop whinging about how unfair it is, because it's really not.

Im not 'whinging'...it is true that I already have a guitar etc...

but the point im trying to make is the difference in journey time 40 min/2 hours. Also, just in general I feel guitarists are under appreciated.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
Im not 'whinging'...it is true that I already have a guitar etc...

but the point im trying to make is the difference in journey time 40 min/2 hours. Also, just in general I feel guitarists are under appreciated.

That's because everyone and their grandmother can play a few power chords and so everyone claims they can play guitar, which makes it seem like the majority of all guitarists suck.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
No one of my relatives or anyone in my family plays. My parents doesn't seem to care... except for when I sometimes bring my acoustic outside and sunbath with a friend whilst playing, they come out and say, "Wow Erik, you've really improved, can you remember how ****ty you were when you first started?" (only my dad says that last thing though )

But yeah, they pay for my strings, both acoustic and electric so I'd say that they are pretty encouraging, they just don't know that much about guitar playing so they don't really know what to say if I start to talk about guitars and such.

EDIT: oh, and on topic; I got a biking (walking if it's sunny ) distance to the 2 closest guitar shops. 'Tis sweet.
Last edited by The Novice at Apr 26, 2008,
You guys are lucky! i wish i lived within walking/biking distance from a guitar shop, but the nearest music shop is probably 20 minute drive away, and the nearest GC is probably an hour drive away.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Jackal58
My parents don't buy me shit. . They don't drive me anywhere.
And it's a damn good thing too!!!!!! The thought of them driving scares the hell out of me.

I just looked around my home and saw 4 guitars 2 basses and 3 amps without moving. Damn kids need to start puttin' their crap away.
Damn nm most of its mine.

sup?
I had the same sort of thing, my mum and sister drove to a music shop hours away from here to get my sister a bassoon, which cost more than my mums motorbike - more than £3000.

Then when I started guitar she goes to the music shop closest which has squier starter packs, and gets me a £160 starter pack which has a **** amp and a pretty poor guitar. I'm just hoping that when my parents get me a new guitar they get me a decent one and don't try to get the cheapest available
My dad's quite supportive of me playing guitar, he used to play himself. I think, however it has distracted me from my schoolwork, I'm no longer the brightest kid in the class which is a bit annoying I guess, but I don't know where I'd be without music and guitar, it has filled the gap in my life that was always there but could never figure out how to fill.
Quote by Mazzakazza

same, they bought me my guitar
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by screwup30

just pay one of your friends like 10-15 dollars to drive you out there. That would be a good deal.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.