While they might be "nice" guitars, I find it insulting how people believe that Epiphones are made better than Gibsons. Honestly, Who believes this? My Gibson, which is 15 years old, is something I would not replace with anything, ever. An Epiphone feels like a toy to me. I have owned one and replaced it with my Gibson. The difference is totally noticeable. The Epiphone feels like a child's guitar.
They actually feel different? I thought that they made them exactly the same, just Epiphones were made on machines and have ****tier pups and wiring, and the Gibsons are handmade.
im in nashville, my friend works at gibson, and he says that epiphones are gibsons that do not make it through the inspection. Basically that means that it meant to be a gibson but it was to low quality so they recycled it into a epiphone.
I have never played a Gibson or an Epiphone, but I see Epiphones as toys while Gibsons are instruments made for professionals.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by danohat
While they might be "nice" guitars, I find it insulting how people believe that Epiphones are made better than Gibsons. Honestly, Who believes this? My Gibson, which is 15 years old, is something I would not replace with anything, ever. An Epiphone feels like a toy to me. I have owned one and replaced it with my Gibson. The difference is totally noticeable. The Epiphone feels like a child's guitar.

What kind of Epi LP are you playing? I don't think they feel like toys at all.
I'm not trying to trash Epiphone. I just know that there is a huge diference between the two. Something that this site tends to deny or doubt. Try them both. The difference is out of this world.
The reason why there are so many that try to deny the difference between Gibsons and Epiphones is because there are 10 times more Epiphone owners than Gibson owners.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
The weight difference is out of this world. People say the Les Paul is too heavy but why could drug addicted rockers keep using it for show after show?
I can't stand Epiphone guitars. It's the reason why I've stayed away from Les Pauls. But when I tried a Gibson Les Paul Standard, it was one of the best guitars I've ever laid my hands on. So, I agree with TS, Epiphones feel like they have much lower quality.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I'll admit that I have an Epi LP, and I know that Gibsons are so much better, however I just didn't know that they "felt" different (keep in mind that i have never tried a gibson LP). I understand that they sound different, just didn't know that there was a noticeable difference while holding them.
There's something about playing a gibson LP that just feels "Right" can't really explain it...
I'm not trying to brag that they are better. I'm just trying to say that there is a big difference between the two. This website tries to say that Gibson is overcharging for its product and I am denying that claim. I could never afford this guitar again. But I am very happy I have it. Being that I thnk it is the best guitar ever.
I think people mean that they are better value for the money than Gibson's, you can't seriously believe that a LP Studio for like $1400 or something are a better guitar for the money than a Epi LP Standard for something like $400. I've tried four Studios I think, all has been worse than the Epi I'm playing, one had a gap between the fretboard and the rest of the neck, one had a bad finish on the neck which made it feel terrible to play, and another had bad fretwork (sharp edges that I cut myself on, a guitar made for emos), one felt ok, but still worse than my Epi.

Older Gibsons were better I believe. I will probably never buy one of the newer ones when I can get a so much better guitar for the money.

*edit: And that Epis feels like toys when you've tried much better guitar I strongly disagree with. They're not the worlds best guitars, I'm not saying that, but they're certainly not toys.

*edit 2: You can't just say that Gibson's are better, they are, but you can't compare guitars with that difference in price. It's like comparing a Fender Squier to an American Deluxe.

This whole thread is stupid. The ones that are saying that Epis are as good as Gibsons are stupid.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Apr 26, 2008,
i could take an epiphone standard, buy new pups wire it myself and for less than 1000 i can have a gibson standard les paul for way less. the amount of money the gibson costs is so out of this planet it is insane.
Quote by theacousticpunk
I can't stand Epiphone guitars. It's the reason why I've stayed away from Les Pauls. But when I tried a Gibson Les Paul Standard, it was one of the best guitars I've ever laid my hands on. So, I agree with TS, Epiphones feel like they have much lower quality.

You're aware that recently Epiphones have been made in the Samick Korea factory...?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by ironman1478
i could take an epiphone standard, buy new pups wire it myself and for less than 1000 i can have a gibson standard les paul for way less. the amount of money the gibson costs is so out of this planet it is insane.

You don't get a Gibson Les Paul Standard just because of that, the wood used on the Epis is much (or should be at least) lower quality.

But you do get a guitar that's much better for the money than a Gibson. And I agree with that the Gibson's is way overpriced for what I've heard they are today, compared to other brands.

Quote by danohat
I understand opinions; however, I wouldn't go that far.
Quote by tracerbeast
im in nashville, my friend works at gibson, and he says that epiphones are gibsons that do not make it through the inspection. Basically that means that it meant to be a gibson but it was to low quality so they recycled it into a epiphone.
Interesting! And I always thought the later Epiphones were only MIJ, MIK, and MIC. Perhaps your friend is wrong about the recycling part.
Quote by HomerSGR
I think people mean that they are better value for the money than Gibson's, you can't seriously believe that a LP Studio for like $1400 or something are a better guitar for the money than a Epi LP Standard for something like $400. I've tried four Studios I think, all has been worse than the Epi I'm playing, one had a gap between the fretboard and the rest of the neck, one had a bad finish on the neck which made it feel terrible to play, and another had bad fretwork (sharp edges that I cut myself on, a guitar made for emos), one felt ok, but still worse than my Epi.

Older Gibsons were better I believe. I will probably never buy one of the newer ones when I can get a so much better guitar for the money.

*edit: And that Epis feels like toys when you've tried much better guitar I strongly disagree with. They're not the worlds best guitars, I'm not saying that, but they're certainly not toys.
Really?
Quote by HomerSGR
You don't get a Gibson Les Paul Standard just because of that, the wood used on the Epis is much (or should be at least) lower quality.

But you do get a guitar that's much better for the money than a Gibson. And I agree with that the Gibson's is way overpriced for what I've heard they are today, compared to other brands.

both are made of mahogany last time i checked(not sure), so yeah it would be the same wood, and if put some decent pups like i said you pretty much have a gibson for way less. just a different headstock logo
Quote by ironman1478
both are made of mahogany last time i checked(not sure), so yeah it would be the same wood, and if put some decent pups like i said you pretty much have a gibson for way less. just a different headstock logo

there's different grades of wood. it may be mahogany just like the Gibson, but it will not be the same grade of mahogany. and yes, it does make a difference.

i like certain epiphone les paul's alot, and i think some of them play better than some Gibsons, but when you pick up a good gibson, you will be able to feel and hear the difference, and i've never been able to find a good epiphone that compares to a good gibson. both make lemons though.
Epi's are not failed Gibson's. They are made different. Gibson uses a better mahogany wood then Epi. They use a thicker maple top then Epi. Epi uses a maple veneer top. Epi's and Gibsons have a different neck profile. There is a big difference in paint as well. I have read Gibsons paint jobs take about 2 weeks to complete, and it improves the tone a little. There is no way Epi's are failed Gibson's. They are 2 different guitars.

Now I don't own a Gibson and never would out of spite. That does not stop me from making fair observations about them. I don't know much about older ones. A Gibson standard is a nice Les Paul, one of the nicest made. I believe at least 50% of the price is for the name though. I would take a Epi std over a Gibson studio any day. I would also take a Epi elitist over a Gibson std. I always try out Gib std's at GC just to see the feel. After I tried a Epi Elitist it blew away any Gib std I have tried.

If you want to compare a Gib std to a Epi std, then yes the Gib is a better quality. The Epi is no toy however. Unless you consider a Gib studio to be a toy as well.

I have talked to many ppl who owned both a Gib std and Epi Elitist and they all say the same thing. Gib customs are the best. Elitist are the next best then the Gib std. Ppl who are die hard Gib fans will say the Gib is better, Epi fans will say they are the same.

In your fist post you said who believes this. It would greatly depend on what models you are referring to. Gib std to Epi std, Gib wins, it is a great guitar. Not $1800-$2000 better, no way. Maybe $500 IMO. Again IMO Epi std are better then Gib studios, and Epi Elitist are better then Gib std.

***EDIT*** Try a Epi Elitist before you call all Epi's toys. You will be very surprised.
Last edited by ninja23 at Apr 26, 2008,
I have played both Gibson Les Paul Standards and Epiphone Les Paul Standards side by side when I was determining which to sick my savings into, and there is an apparent difference in quality, finish, and sound, but that in no way makes the Epiphone not a competitor.

The Gibson is, simply put, a higher quality instrument, but what else would you expect for over $2000? The Epiphone Les Paul has some quality control issues, but what line of guitars doesn't? The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is an excellent guitar for working musicians who simply cannot afford its older brother. A simple pick-up swap will get your tone almost similar to any Gibson Les Paul. Swapping the tuners and bridge will also get you closer to a regular Gibson Production model, but then buying the Epiphone starts becoming pointless as you sink more and more money into it.

Bottom line, if you can afford a Gibson Les Paul Standard, get it! If you can't, the Epiphone is a great alternative. Not the best you can get when it comes to Les Paul copies, but not the worst either.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
I have played both Gibson Les Paul Standards and Epiphone Les Paul Standards side by side when I was determining which to sick my savings into, and there is an apparent difference in quality, finish, and sound, but that in no way makes the Epiphone not a competitor.

The Gibson is, simply put, a higher quality instrument, but what else would you expect for over $2000? The Epiphone Les Paul has some quality control issues, but what line of guitars doesn't? The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is an excellent guitar for working musicians who simply cannot afford its older brother. A simple pick-up swap will get your tone almost similar to any Gibson Les Paul. Swapping the tuners and bridge will also get you closer to a regular Gibson Production model, but then buying the Epiphone starts becoming pointless as you sink more and more money into it.

Bottom line, if you can afford a Gibson Les Paul Standard, get it! If you can't, the Epiphone is a great alternative. Not the best you can get when it comes to Les Paul copies, but not the worst either.

your just a fanboy. also all those upgrades would be around 400-600 bucks and that is still less than a gibson.
Last edited by ironman1478 at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478

Just that both is mahogany means nothing. It's like saying that a Epi LP Special II is as good as a Gibby Standard. What? They're both the same thing, a guitar. And they look almost the same.

Part of the difference in the sound of the Epis vs. the Gibsons, besides the cheaper pups and parts in the Epis, is the finish. Epis I believe are done with polyeurethane, or something similar to that. It only takes 3 days to apply the finish. The material is cheaper and labor is cheaper. For the Gibsons, to do a nitro celulose finish, I believe it takes something like 21-24 days to properly do it.

The difference of material also creates a difference in sound. The finish on the Epis tend to give them a darker tone, while the Gibson's tend to be a lighter tone, and I think a tone that people tend to like more.
-George

Gear:
'52 RI Fender Tele Hot Rod (*drool*)
(93) 1994 40th Anniversary Fender Strat (American)
Michael Kelly Patriot Q in Amberburst
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Crate V8 Palomino 5W Tube Combo