im reading this guide to mixing and i've read some other ones and it tells me to adjust the frequencies and stuff for the snare and kick drum and other stuff.
to do this, do i have to record everything seperately?

should i record all the drums seperately and do what i need to do and then save it as one big file and put it in my sequencer with everything else?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Use a Firewire interface (DON'T use a mixer, unless it's the M Audio NRV10 which is essentially an interface/mixer combo). Each input can be routed to a separate track. Then you adjust volume levels and use EQ plugins to separate each one further.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
If you want to properly record and edit a drum set you must record each drum separately. The only way to really do this is to use a firewire interface. These can take 8+ inputs and keep them on their own separate tracks while recording.

The PreSonus FireStudio firewire interface seems to be the most popular interface when it comes to higher end home studios. You dont need a mixer as most sequencers have them on screen now. If you want hands on control to change parameters you should get a control surface like the Mackie Control Universal..or something similar.

If you record using a USB interface of any kind it will mix all inputs to a single stereo track making the editing you want to do impossible.
Quote by moody07747
If you want to properly record and edit a drum set you must record each drum separately. The only way to really do this is to use a firewire interface. These can take 8+ inputs and keep them on their own separate tracks while recording.

The PreSonus FireStudio firewire interface seems to be the most popular interface when it comes to higher end home studios. You dont need a mixer as most sequencers have them on screen now. If you want hands on control to change parameters you should get a control surface like the Mackie Control Universal..or something similar.

If you record using a USB interface of any kind it will mix all inputs to a single stereo track making the editing you want to do impossible.

well im using a drum machine.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Well that somewhat limits you...

The best way to track drums is with either a high end Roland v-drum set or a standard acoustic set.

I dont see any way to use that drum machine to get the recording setup you want. I would start thinking of investing in something like EZDrummer or a similar VST.
Which unit is it?

Sometimes they will have more than a pair of outputs and you can route some sounds out some pads.

Now that I think of it...

Can you program a beat, mute all but one drum in that track and play it back as so?
if you can do that you could play though recording each drum sound one at a time giving you more flexibility in editing. This will take longer since you are recording over and over but good recording generally takes a lot of time.
i dont think i can do that.
but i can seperately record them and then mix it down from there.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Firewire is great. PCI is a good option too. The Delta 44/Delta 66/ Delta 1010 series interfaces are all PCI, and they're great.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by ovdojoey
$$... you do need a large input firewire interface - or if you mixer has some form of eq and you have great ears go for it and track and mix at the same time.

...i have a drum machine.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ovdojoey
Oh - sorry just read the original post - WELL... in that case you are able to modify everything - use battery it has complete control over each midi drum note.

i use Acoustica Beatcraft
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by moody07747
^ those wont help if he has a drum machine though...

Depends.... if he is using the phone plugs out from each channel on the module, then a Delta series card with the breakout box is perfect. You don't need preamps for that.

If he's just going midi out to midi in, then any sound card in the world will pretty much do.

My only point was that everyone is talking about FW and USB.... but PCI is actually faster than FW. It just requires opening the box to install it instead of just plugging into a port.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I use a program called Modplug for my drums. its basically a tracker program thats used for writing music but it allows you to use your own samples.

so you could use audacity to record the individual drum hits that you want, and then punch them into the modplug tracker. which will allow you to individually control all "drum tracks".

if you want to try this method out, i'll show you how i do it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
I use a program called Modplug for my drums. its basically a tracker program thats used for writing music but it allows you to use your own samples.

so you could use audacity to record the individual drum hits that you want, and then punch them into the modplug tracker. which will allow you to individually control all "drum tracks".

if you want to try this method out, i'll show you how i do it.

its worth a shot.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
OI!

ok.. so i was starting on making a huge tutorial.. but then i found a good one online..

when you figure out how to use modplug.. http://www.modplug.com/

check the tut here, when you get it down (its kinda tough at first.. but since you're using beatcraft.. you should already know how this kinda thing works.) i'll give you a quick over on how to isolate your tracks..

anyway.. Tut is here http://openmpt.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/TutMakeSong/
Quote by moody07747

I have a usb interface and it doesnt record all 8 inputs into one stereo track on my computer, it goes to 8 different tracks that i can edit after i record. Im pretty sure all usb interfaces can do that if you just set it up right. I have a line 6 UX8.
I have still yet to figure out how they actually did that for the UX8... From what I've learned, USB can only take so much info at one time and therefore is limited to a single stereo track.

I've tried a few USB interfaces and all of them mixed down to a stereo track. The UX8 is a USB 2.0 interface but it's quite clear that other products out for the price.

UX8 - $500 new
PreSonus FireStudio Project - $500 new

Between those two, I think 99% of people with go with the firewire Firestudio being that they have better preamps and a firewire connection.
Well, seeing how most audio companies are hardly using Firewire 800, and any speed of PCI-e over x1, it'll be a LONG while before we see any interfaces using it probably (besides, 24bit 192kHz recordings already take an obscene amount of space, it's unlikely there'll be something much greater for a while).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Well, seeing how most audio companies are hardly using Firewire 800, and any speed of PCI-e over x1, it'll be a LONG while before we see any interfaces using it probably (besides, 24bit 192kHz recordings already take an obscene amount of space, it's unlikely there'll be something much greater for a while).

Agreed. PCI is plenty fast enough to run tons of tracks in and out of 24 bit 44.1 audio which is what I record at. Not once have I ever run up against a situation where I was wishing for a faster interface standard.

And from there, you merely get into a pissing contest where you might do stuff just because you can, but it has little practical value. For instance, I really don't hear the difference between 24/44.1 and 24/96, though I can record at any of those. Maybe I would if was recording orchestral instruments with U87's through an SSL console or something and Apogee converters. At the moment, there is no such thing as an interface that captures audio at 32-bit. (although software is set up to do so) So, just because a person can record at 24/192..... so what? So you can eat up all your bandwidth in your PCI or Firewire device and slam your hard drive full of more data than it might even be able to write? Nice work. And to think that we *could* get a faster interface protocol for transferring audio. So what?

I see these faster systems being *very* useful for transferring multimedia at high resolutions, but not for audio.

CT

Then again, I can see plugins that could take advantage of that (there are already some cable snakes and external processors like Wave's APA that use Ethernet connections to transfer stuff back and forth).
Quote by keiron_d

Well whatever you do, please sample a good drum set over what ya got. Kills me when bands don't and the Kick sucks bawls.
yea I would also be interested in a proper sample of that UX8. I just dont trust the line6 or MF samples...

Weird - I didn't know USB did that - why would anyone go with USB anyways it limits creativity.

Thats the first time I've heard that one...
Last edited by moody07747 at May 2, 2008,
Quote by ovdojoey
Weird - I didn't know USB did that - why would anyone go with USB anyways it limits creativity.

gear doesn't limit creativity! people limit creativity!

if you're clever, you can find a workaround for just about anything.
That took a while to for you to say what :drum machine/simulator: you are actually using.

But I assume with Beatcraft, you have everthing you need to make a drum track. No other HW or SW should be needed. You might then use Mixcraft to integrate it with your other tracks.

Alesis has a new USB 2.0 Mixer which reportedly is very close to firewire performance with about 4mS of latency on monitoring channel (so I here).
Quote by ovdojoey
If you find a work around - you are limiting your creativity ...

I think it can but that is just me.

it must be you, i do not find that having a USB mixer limits my ability to write music or play guitar.
Quote by Kivarenn82
it must be you, i do not find that having a USB mixer limits my ability to write music or play guitar.

i dont see why it should.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I'd also like to point out that unless youre packing one VERY decent clock, anything recorded at higher than 88/96kHz is more than likely going to be completely full of clock distortion long before you run out of HD space or transfer capacity.
Quote by ugmung
i dont see why it should.

i was just joking around to make it sound as if the guy was saying that having USB would limit your ability to be creative.
Quote by Kivarenn82
i was just joking around to make it sound as if the guy was saying that having USB would limit your ability to be creative.

and i shouldnt see why it should anyway, lol.
the creativity is coming from the person not the mixer.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo