If you're going to build an EVH guitar, just get a strat-kit and put all of your own parts on it instead of the crappy stock ones. I have active humbuckers in mine and its working out great
No, what i'm asking is: Can I already put masking tape and paint it white?
Quote by Mo_Malone
http://www.music123.com/Fender-Standard-Floyd-Rose-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-517910-i1149758.Music123
Can i just paint over it (Eddie Van Halen black & white style) without needing to sand it down?

You'll have to at least scuff sand it ... 400 grit to remove/rough up the Clearcoat, then 600 to smooth it a bit. You don't need to sand it to bare wood, scuff sanding will give the new colorcoat enough texture to adhere properly.

^ +1. If you do not scuff it up, the paint wont stick well.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^^ +2 on that!
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
^^ +3 and probably more. I'm doing the same with my guitar build/cusotmize. Scuff it!
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
all these people have mention a very high grit for sanding between coats but you don't need to go 1000 grit. it does **** all.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x