ok there is this band down the street and there bass players never there... they said i could jam with them if i learn bass... i already play guitar. how hard would it be to lern bass? is it possible for me right now to just pick one up and play some basic stuff or is bass really actually as hard as guitar?
if you use a pick it's not that complicated. just get used to more of a finger stretch. if you use fingers to play, get used to having sore fingers for a while.
It's not that hard since you already play guitar and have some music knowledge... I've been playing guitar for 3 years and playing bass for 2 years...
Quote by gothic_freak
ok well they play a screamo type music would pick work for that?

yeah that'll work
ok sweet thats awsome... there gana have the whole band over tomaro and il have to go see what i can play...
Quote by gothic_freak
ok sweet thats awsome... there gana have the whole band over tomaro and il have to go see what i can play...

make sure you play around with a bass for an hour before jamming to get used to the finger stretching.
ok i will im gana see if i can get my own bands bass player over and see what i can play... to bad my band sucks
If you do decide to learn bass two things: don't play through a guitar amp and don't play bass like it's a guitar.
Quote by hippiebass
If you do decide to learn bass two things: don't play through a guitar amp and don't play bass like it's a guitar.

Exactly. You have to treat it like a new instrument. You cannot get away with the poor fretting technique most guitarist have on a bass (thumb as a pivot on the back of the neck is how it should be), due to the larger stretches, and having to press down harder on the strings.

While you may be able to pick up playing with a pick slightly easier (though that requires adjusted technique due to the heavier strings), I would recommend playing with fingers for at least the first few months so that you identify the instruments seperately.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1