Page 1 of 2
ok so ive been trying to master this lick for a long time but it seems almost imossible
d u u d u d u d u d u
------15-12----12-15-12-17-12-15-12-
--------------15------------------------------15

i practice it as slowly as i can but thats not the problem is. The problem is the downstroke at the 12th fret on the high e string at the end means i have to do an upstroke to get to the 15th freat on the b string but my pick went past the E string so to get to the B string i have to hit the E string again creating a sloppy scratchy noise.a and it happens no matter how slowly i do it. Ive tried doing playing the 12th fret twice but i still end up with a downstroke meaning i get that scratchy sound again. And no i cant just replace one downstroke wiht an upstroke because i need to be able to play it fast and i can only really do that with alterante picking.

if you want to here this lick look at Kirk hammets solo on seek adn destroy. In fact its the first thing he does on that solo (dave does something a bit different) or just look at any hammet solo on Kill em all. Its really annoying because hammett and Mustaine can do this almost effortlessly and i wonder how they dont run into this problem.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I don't see how you can have a problem on that.
Use your first finger and your pinkey for all the notes.

If you cant play it with pickin the notes try using hammer on and pull off tell.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Use pure alternate picking.
thats what i do and i end up having to upstroke two strings and it creates unwanted noise.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
i always did pull-offs and all downstrokes and it sounds fine. i'll try it that way for now on. i love playing seek&destroy.

Hold your index finger so it kinda goes over the 12th fret of the b string but doesn't push down hard enough to make a note. I'd think that would help. *goes and grabs guitar to find out*
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by crzywhiteboy
If you cant play it with pickin the notes try using hammer on and pull off tell.
This is just my preference, but I think it would be better to get into an alternate picking rhythm and just pick everything rather than interrupting the pattern with a pull off.
U-upstroke
D-downstroke

------15-12----12-15-12-17-12-15-12---------
--------------15------------------------------15-----
-------D--U--D---U--D--U--D---U---D---U---D----

thats how i would do it
start on the opposite stroke?

EDIT: it might make it easier to economy pick the lick
Quote by Diet_coke_head
This reminds me of a time when I was jerking off onto a jellyfish and somebody walking down the beach said something. I don't remember the actual wording, but they should have just let me be.
This lick won't be any problem if you use alt. picking starting on an upstroke.
Quote by SRK
This lick won't be any problem if you use alt. picking starting on an upstroke.
It will actually become a nightmare.

Quote by Fuzzbox91
i end up having to upstroke two strings and it creates unwanted noise.
Then you're not alternate picking.

Alternate between downstrokes and upstrokes!!!

Quote by iamk0ng
EDIT: it might make it easier to economy pick the lick

That will cause inside picking. Alternate is the way to go.

Repeated for emphasis: Alternate picking is the way to go!
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Apr 26, 2008,
tap it

finger the 12 and 10 but tap the 15 and 17

-15-12-10-12-15-12-17-12-15-12-10-
-----------------------------------------------
Quote by cheez1492
tap it
This may work, but the rhythm is weird. If it makes sense, feel free to tap, but I still prefer alternate picking for this lick.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Alternate picking is the way to go!

I'm sorry but i disagree. I think having the 2 upstrokes is a lot easier than having to go over the string to do a down stroke. Maybe that's just personal preference.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
I'm sorry but i disagree. I think having the 2 upstrokes is a lot easier than having to go over the string to do a down stroke. Maybe that's just personal preference.

yea thats the problem with alternate picking. But even with economy picking it ends up with me having to up stroke across two strings. Im wondering what kirk did, it sounds like he was using hammer ons and downstrokes, because judging by his work on AJFA and MOP theres no way hes THAT good at alternate picking. In that case ill just practice it with hammerons slowly to build up hand strength.

tapping it might work but it would sound weird
I think thats what Mustaine did on the Demo version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnxbuCg0Hkk&feature=related

i like hammetts version a but better tho
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
thats what i do and i end up having to upstroke two strings and it creates unwanted noise.

That simply means you're trying to play it too quickly - slow it down until you can play it without mistakes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Being a natural economy picker, I found this thing very easy to play using economy picking. However, I'd suggest alternate picking first, as that seems to be natural to the majority of people.
If you economy pick it, you end up playing D U U D U D U D U D U D. The bolded part will use inside picking which is usually hard. Using pure alternate picking eliminates all inside picking.

Mustaine and Hammett alternate pick this lick.
Don't tap it. That's blasphemy (i don't even know what that word means but i think that's in context :P)

If you can't play it the way i said (with your index finger touching the b string, muting it) then just do pull offs in whatever way is most comfortable.

Edit: i'd say try out whatever everyone has said and do what works best for you.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
(i don't even know what that word means but i think that's in context :P)
It doesn't mean "perfectly acceptable," so you've used it wrong.

I don't mind tapping it, though it may be a bit weird.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It doesn't mean "perfectly acceptable," so you've used it wrong.

I don't mind tapping it, though it may be a bit weird.

Tapping it would be completely horrible. You have to atleast pick the E, G, D, and A.

[in little schoolboy voice] so nyah :P [schoolboy voice]

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you economy pick it, you end up playing D U U D U D U D U D U D. The bolded part will use inside picking which is usually hard. Using pure alternate picking eliminates all inside picking.

Sorry but, what's inside picking, to be exact? Never thought about it.
Quote by Avedas
Sorry but, what's inside picking, to be exact? Never thought about it.
Downpick on high E then up pick on B.

If you can do it, feel free to. However, most of us, including John Petrucci and me, are not very good at it and try to avoid it.
Oh... hmm never noticed. But if JP isn't good at it, I'm probably not either. (Watch me completely suck balls at doing it now haha)
JP does it fine, but in Rock Discipline, he mentions that he has struggled with it while guys like Paul Gilbert are naturally good at it. He suggest that we shoot players who are naturally good at it.
I'm just curious BGC, are you a teacher or student studying music of some sort? I am just in awe of the amount of knowledge you possess. (And very much appreciate you sharing it because it has helped me, like I know it has helps lots of others.)

Sorry to be off-topic, just random curiosity.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Theres no way Hammett alternate pick it. i slowed it down on transcribe and it sounds like hes hammering it. The only person that could alternate pick it that cleanly is maybe Randy Rhoads, again Kirks alternate picking is usually pretty sloppy.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
If alternate picking isn't working out, I'd either move that note on the B string to the E string to avoid moving strings or pull off the first note. Although I see no reason why alt picking shouldn't be just as good.
Play some legato if you want, but when you pick, I suggest picking in the same direction you would if you had alternate picked the whole time.

I'm a big fan of picking this whole lick, though.
If that was referring to me, I meant like down pulloff down anyway so yeah. Honestly I can't see any reason this would be a huge problem alt picking. At least not more so than any other way.

Also, I don't find it hard to imagine Kirk tapping those higher notes after the low one, but I don't think that's the part you have trouble with anyway.
AHHHHHHH i cant ****ing alt pick it. i want to but its ****ing impossible. The problem is that goddamned upstroke. No matter what i have to upstroke two strings which gives me unwanted noise. its driving me insane. its anoying because i cant hear any noise on the recordng which means Hammet is somehow avoiding hitting the E string when he goes for the 15th fret on b string. I still cant tell if hes hammering it or picking it
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
No matter what i have to upstroke two strings
Then you're not alternate picking. Follow a strict D U D U D U D U pattern and you will be fine.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Then you're not alternate picking. Follow a strict D U D U D U D U pattern and you will be fine.

yea but that means i have to downstroke the 15th fret on the b string meaning i have to lift my pick up (from upstroking the E string) bring it behind the b string then do a downstroke.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
yea but that means i have to downstroke the 15th fret on the b string meaning i have to lift my pick up (from upstroking the E string) bring it behind the b string then do a downstroke.
Yeah...?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yeah...?
so that takes a lot longer than the rest of the strokes meaning that it makes it uneven making it sloppier when played fast.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Page 1 of 2