Hey, I'm hitting that stage where you start to become really happy with your technical abilities and want to focus more on the direction you head in, instead of the speed you do it at. I think now would be as good a time as any to get listening to guitarists from different genres to see if I can pick up things I wouldn't otherwise, so if you guys could post some songs or artists or albums or whatever for me to check out from any range of genres, that'd be great.

TO-DO LIST :
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats + Make A Jazz Noise Here
Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder
Fall Of Troy
Dream Theater + other thrash bands
Xentix
Exodus
Necrophagist
Stray Cats
Chuck Berry
The Cramps
BB King
Albert King
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Johnnie Winter
North Misissippi Allstars
Lightnin' Hopkins
Neil Young
The Drive By Truckers - Southern Culture on the Skids
Freak Kitchen - Speak When Spoken To, Taste My Fist, Heroin Breakfast, Spiteful Little People
Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine from Television
Vai
Rush
Last edited by kthxbi at Apr 27, 2008,
Well, what genre are you in right now?
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Oh hahaha, I knew I'd missed something.
Right now I'm about rock really, Nirvana, GnR, Raconteurs, that kind of thing. Guitar based rock.
Check out Frank Zappa, especially the albums "Hot Rats" and "Make A Jazz Noise Here"
check out some incubus, they got some pretty unique guitar playing, especially on the "a crow left of the murder" album. or fall of troy if you want something more challenging
DECRESCENDO
Thrash. There are a bunch of nice guitarists in that genre. Dream Theater is a good reccomendation.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Thanks for all the tips, I'm sticking a list at the top of everything to listen to more for my benefit than for anyone else's. If anyone did see the thread though and thought they wanted to listen around a bit though, it could help I guess.
Oh, and I've just listened to a couple Zappa tunes off the Hot Rats album and it's pretty interesting :]
i agree with whoever said thrash. look up Xentrix. godly
Exodus has some good guitar as well.

and if you want something not quite what your used to, look up some rockabilly. they've got chops man! maybe, Stray Cats, or Chuck Berry. oh, and i picked up one of my favorite ripped off licks from The Cramps.

the blues has DAMN good guitarists as well, Johnny Winter, Stevie Ray Vaughun, Albert King, B.B King (no relation to Albert.), maybe Lightnin' Hopkins? or North Mississippi All-Stars?

Neil Young is a god as well, and The Drive-By Truckers are damn good too. look up Southern Culture on the Skids for some trippy guitar licks.

hope i helped a little.
P O E

edit,
TS, Dream Theater isnt thrash... they're more progressive. kinda like Pink Floyd, with more distorion.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Necrophagist

no, just no.

liking them is as cliche'd as hating Metallica these days.
and hell, i just dont like them.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Check out Freak Kitchen.

Speak When Spoken To, , Taste My FistHeroin Breakfast and Hateful Little People. Try and look up those.
If you can't find them on ultimate-guitar.com, you can on 911tabs.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Thanks for all the replies. I've checked more Zappa out and I'll be paying a lot of attention to him in the future. I listened to Necrophagist too, couldn't really get into it. This is just my opinion and it's probably really really skindeep but I couldn't see any real difference between them and all the other technical bands in the genre.

I'm listening to Dream Theater at the minute and it's pretty cool, totally not what I expected. I like some of the riffs they're laying out.
Last edited by kthxbi at Apr 26, 2008,
Rush! Listen to their music from all years. Lifeson has some great solos and his rhythms are great as well. He uses some unconventional chords, but they sound great!
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Ahh, one of my best mates listens to Rush all the time, I'll give him a shout. Thanks :]
I've always meant to listen to Vai, never really got round to it. Here's my chance I guess, and Television will come next :]
Listened to some Chuck Berry and I'd obviously heard it all before but looking at it from a purely instrumental standpoint did open up some new meanings to me, I really like his use of doublestops.
Joe Bonamassa and Jeff Beck are absolute 'required listening', especially since Jeff Beck pioneered half of the techniques modern guitarists like Vai now use regularly - he was doing pinch harmonic whammy bar dives in the mid 60s! Bonamassa is one of the most talented guitarists I've ever seen and has a really unique style. If you enjoy his stuff, Kenny Wayne Shepherd is also worth checking out. Don't forget Peter Green and Paul Kossoff, if you like the blues.

If you don't listen to Pink Floyd already, now is most definitely the time. I also agree with Rush and Zappa, though I get the feeling some people are just posting their favourite bands, whether or not there's really anything you could learn from them. One of my favorite Zappa albums is 'The Grand Wazoo', which is similar to Hot Rats but on a slightly grander scale. Not a great guitar album, but an brilliant approach to composition which you might enjoy.

Also, I should bring Deezer to your attention if you haven't already seen it. Basically a massive legal (?) music streaming site, although unless you're in France most of the songs are grayed-out, presumably for copyright reasons. Fortunately you can get around that by going on to the site, pasting the script below into the address bar and pressing enter. When you refresh the page, everything will be accessible:

javascript:document.cookie = "COUNTRY = FR";location.reload(true);

Bloody useful for building a sort of 'portable music collection', though frankly I still prefer having all the music on CD and my computer. Give it a go if you have trouble finding some of the more obscure artists, if you can't find it there there's a similar site called Dizzler which does exactly the same thing though the sound quality isn't usually as good.
Quote by kyle62
Joe Bonamassa and Jeff Beck are absolute 'required listening', especially since Jeff Beck pioneered half of the techniques modern guitarists like Vai now use regularly - he was doing pinch harmonic whammy bar dives in the mid 60s! Bonamassa is one of the most talented guitarists I've ever seen and has a really unique style. If you enjoy his stuff, Kenny Wayne Shepherd is also worth checking out. Don't forget Peter Green and Paul Kossoff, if you like the blues.

If you don't listen to Pink Floyd already, now is most definitely the time. I also agree with Rush and Zappa, though I get the feeling some people are just posting their favourite bands, whether or not there's really anything you could learn from them. One of my favorite Zappa albums is 'The Grand Wazoo', which is similar to Hot Rats but on a slightly grander scale. Not a great guitar album, but an brilliant approach to composition which you might enjoy.

Also, I should bring Deezer to your attention if you haven't already seen it. Basically a massive legal (?) music streaming site, although unless you're in France most of the songs are grayed-out, presumably for copyright reasons. Fortunately you can get around that by going on to the site, pasting the script below into the address bar and pressing enter. When you refresh the page, everything will be accessible:

Bloody useful for building a sort of 'portable music collection', though frankly I still prefer having all the music on CD and my computer. Give it a go if you have trouble finding some of the more obscure artists, if you can't find it there there's a similar site called Dizzler which does exactly the same thing though the sound quality isn't usually as good.

Oo, very interesting, thanks a bunch man. I've listened to a little Floyd in the past and I've been impressed by everything I've heard.
E ------------------------------------|----------------------------------|
B ------------------------------------|----------------------------------|
G ------------------------------------|----------------------------------|
D -------------------------------0--0-|----------------------------------|
A -2-0---0--2--2--2--0--0--0--2--|-2--0---0--2--2--2--0--0--2--0----|
E -----3------------------------------|------3-------------------------3-|
Quote by kthxbi
Thanks for all the replies. I've checked more Zappa out and I'll be paying a lot of attention to him in the future. I listened to Necrophagist too, couldn't really get into it. This is just my opinion and it's probably really really skindeep but I couldn't see any real difference between them and all the other technical bands in the genre.

I'm listening to Dream Theater at the minute and it's pretty cool, totally not what I expected. I like some of the riffs they're laying out.

Frank Zappa is indeed a good guy to check out. One of my heroes , and of course an awesome musician. If you think of looking up Vai, it is to be mentioned that Vai has played with Zappa.
The Zappa influence can especially be heard in his early recordings.

I still think you should check Freak Kitchen out

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fRGtY_gvvYE

Freak Kitchen^

and here's another band, wich is one of my favourites too. Same guitarist.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ElWLsJaDO1c

they only made one album with that guitarist. The rest of their album sounds like normal 80s hard rock.
I've got a tab for one of the songs of that album if you're interested. That particular album has inspired me alot.

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Yeah, I was listening to Freak Kitchen just now. I really like how he uses the guitar, it's really tasteful + not over the top at all. I'll check out his other band thing after
Oh, and the solo on Nobody's Laughing is seriously awesome. Really like what he's done there, some of those noises were totally new to me haha
Quote by kthxbi
Yeah, I was listening to Freak Kitchen just now. I really like how he uses the guitar, it's really tasteful + not over the top at all. I'll check out his other band thing after
Oh, and the solo on Nobody's Laughing is seriously awesome. Really like what he's done there, some of those noises were totally new to me haha

Yeah, he's pretty inventive. One of my main inspirations. Some of his stuff is way to jazzy for me (Art Metal, with Helborg (spelling?)) even though the stuff they do there is quite musical genious, it get's too jazzy for me at times.

But I have all records of Freak Kitchen, and I love them all. I have all his solo efforts, and there's some seriously awesome **** on there too. + I have the Fate album from before Freak Kitchen wich is awesome too.

You should also look into some of the techniques he uses. Especially the harmonics and the weird tapping.

I don't know if I can dig anymore of this up, that you haven't heard of.

I'm quite sure you've heard of; Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson (actually, you may not have heard of him?), Paul Gilbert.

Also if you like Steve Vai check out the albums he did with David Lee Roth and Whitesnake.

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Heard of Gilbert, Johnson and Satch. I'll check out the Vai + Roth / Whitesnake records :]
And yeah, I'll definitely look more at that guy's tapping technique. I'm not a fan of tapping but that was crazy. Does it have a technical name that I can look for it under?

EDIT: same question applies to the harmonics :]
Last edited by kthxbi at Apr 28, 2008,
Any songs to recommend me by SRV?
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say looking his name up without a song title into youtube wouldn't give me the best starting points.
Quote by kthxbi
Heard of Gilbert, Johnson and Satch. I'll check out the Vai + Roth / Whitesnake records :]
And yeah, I'll definitely look more at that guy's tapping technique. I'm not a fan of tapping but that was crazy. Does it have a technical name that I can look for it under?

EDIT: same question applies to the harmonics :]

Me neither. Tapping is no "favorite" of mine, but if done tastefully, it can be awesome.
EVH tapping is not what I enjoy the most.

His tapping is well. Idk if it's called anything, except tapping. Download some tabs, or transcribe it yourself. You'll see the ideas used in them.

His harmonics is. Well IDK the name, but here's a link to how to do them;

http://freakguitar.com/licks.html

Also some good licks there to look into.

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Last edited by PhantomNote at Apr 28, 2008,