edit: Just noticed I put this in the wrong section of the forum, sorry!

Hi guys. I was in the market for a new guitar not so long ago and came here to see what would be best for me and decided to buy a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 due to all it's good reviews. The problem is that I have been playing on a Guitarport for all this time because I didn't know what amp to buy, and I am decided to buy one now but I have no idea what to buy.

I checked ebay for used 5150 combos a couple times but alas... there's nothing shipping to Canada.

So I need your help as I have no clue what else I could buy. I listen to a bunch of stuff but would mostly be playing Death metal/Progressive metal and some metalcore/deathcore.

I also have a boss metal zone mt-2 here but if there's anything better out there I don't mind ditching it. (Metal muff?)
Last edited by Seiken at Apr 26, 2008,
What's your budget? I'd say a Carvin V3 would do nicely though there are more brutal amps out there, a 5150/6505 would suit you well but you said you can't get them in Canada...
Laney VC50/VC100 ultimately rocks. Especially if you put celestions in it-
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
if you're looking to not spend too much money, a Carvin V3 would be a good choice.

on the other hand if you have the money, you can always look into companies like Mesa Boogie, Bogner, Splawn, Krank, Rivera etc...
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
My budget is around $1000.

I heard awesome things about Mesa boogies but that doesn't help me deciding on which model.
Last edited by Seiken at Apr 26, 2008,
a Carvin V3 seems like it would be the most bang for your buck, unless you plan on saving up a bit more
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
You con probably grab a Single Rectifier in the $900 - 1000 range.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
We have a pyramid with an all seeing eye, and a menacing eagle with arrows in it's talons.
You have a duck.

PRS Custom 24
Peavey Windsor + 2x12
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
If you want to get a decent high gain amp for a little less, the Randall RG50TC would do you good. But since you have a higher budget, your best bet would be to look at used 5150/Rectifiers.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by PhantomNote
Laney VC50/VC100 ultimately rocks. Especially if you put celestions in it-

i'm pretty sure that the Laney VC is NOT a "High Gain Metal" amp, at least not without an EQ and O.D. boost, and theres no point in doing this if you can just buy a "High Gain Metal" amp without the EQ and boost for cheaper. As for what amp to get, for 1000 dollars i'm pretty sure u can get a 6505 new from musiciansfriend, which ships to Canada.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned ENGLs. The Thunder and Thunder w/ reverb are just over $1000 on MF, and they blow away the 5150's if you ask me. They're a completely different animal from the Mesas though, so I'd try both if you can and see which you prefer.
I can't try them . I have no music stores close to my house.

musicfreak003; yes I know but that's only for the head. My budget is around $1000 total. I can push it a couple hundreds more without a problem though.

Gheppetto; Single rectifiers = head only? I'd go over budget again.

I see two things that could be interesting on ebay right now. a used Soldano Avenger and a used Marshall JCM 900 Lead 1960 Speaker Cabinet.
Last edited by Seiken at Apr 27, 2008,
Check out Steve's maybe? Or perhaps Italmelodie? And I'm sure there is a music store near you, by near I don't mean next door, take the subway(metro) to the closest one maybe?
I don't know. I would much prefer buying online to be honest.

I checked out craiglist and I see someone selling his Soldano Avenger for $1200 and he lives in Laval(I live in Laval) as well

Could that be something to look into? I heard good things about them. I see them going at over $1800 new on musiciansfriend
God my head hurts from all the videos I have watched and searches I have done. T_T
Well here's the thing man, I would suggest against spending 1000+ on an amp without trying it out first. Thus I suggested trying it out first. And there's an Italmelodie in Laval. and Soldano sounds good, the JSX is a mighty fine amp as well
I went to an italmelodie and also Archambault. They didn't have anything that interested me.

So I contacted the guy in question and will probably go ahead and buy the Soldano Avenger for $1200. Now what else? I'm thinking a Marshall cab, 1960? 1960AV? any suggestions? Also do I need any pedals?
get a krankenstein man, and if it comes with a footswitch, u wont need any dist. pedals. using a krank's distortion beats a metal zone any day