my first question:

what do you do if a homeless person asks you for money? do you give him some money, or do you ignore him or do you tell him where to get off or what?

2nd question:

is studying Law and practicing Law in the UK (as solicitor or barrister) boring, or does it involve a lot of boring paperwork, etc? i know that the people who can answer this one will probably be law students or lawyers who like Law and dont find it boring, but what would you say are the more tedious aspects of studying and practicing law, and what are the exciting bits?
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
sometimes i do...depends what change i have on me, but i always feel theyre gonna spend it on drugs or booze

or.....i oretend i dont hear them ( i usually have my music on anyway)
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
my strategy of dealing with hobos:

if they ask you for money, ask them what they'd buy with it.

if they say food, offer to buy them food.

if they say gas, walk away.

if they say cigarettes, alcohol, cocaine etc... walk away.
Rock is Dead.

Gear:
Epiphone LPC
Vox AD50VT

Whats the meanest you can be,
To the ones you claim to love,
And still smile to your newfound friends?
my strategy is to use the searchbar.
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

I sometimes just buy a sandwich and coffee and give them to a homeless person, or ask what they want from Burger King etc and give it to them. I don't actually give them money, just hot meals; usually in the evening.
Quote by ghettohobbit4
my strategy of dealing with hobos:

if they ask you for money, ask them what they'd buy with it.

if they say food, offer to buy them food.

if they say gas, walk away.

if they say cigarettes, alcohol, cocaine etc... walk away.

thats true. Id much rather buy them a sandwhich
atleast you know what the money went on
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
If a homeless person asks you for money, say you were just going to ask them the same thing.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
The best thing you can do for homeless is buy them a cup off coffee or a mcdonalds, so they cant buy drugs then
I usually don't give homeless people money, but if I have food on me I'll usually give them some/the rest, they usually seem alot more grateful getting a bagel than a couple dimes and you know they won't waste the money or anything.

I'm also interested in the law thing, I'm going into liberal arts in college next year and I plan on going into law afterwards, but I'm not sure what to expect.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
The homeless in Dublin are little b*stards...

"Howiya... where are ya from? OH! Dya know <insert name here>... Em, by any chance do you have any change to spare? For the bus ye know?"

And if u say no in the middle of their rant they say "fine, f*ck off" and walk away

One gimp asked me for €10 once...
Quote by dingmydong

I'm also interested in the law thing, I'm going into liberal arts in college next year and I plan on going into law afterwards, but I'm not sure what to expect.

i'm starting an economics course at uni this october and i was also thinking of going into law afterwards, through a conversion course. i also have no idea what to expect from law.

i'll just see how it goes i guess.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
is studying Law and practicing Law in the UK (as solicitor or barrister) boring, or does it involve a lot of boring paperwork, etc? i know that the people who can answer this one will probably be law students or lawyers who like Law and dont find it boring, but what would you say are the more tedious aspects of studying and practicing law, and what are the exciting bits?

No, studying law is not boring at all. It all depends on whether you really like it or not. There are a lot of legal topics at hand but really, you only specialize in one or two in your lifetime. The tedious aspects about studying law is the workload - studying law is difficult as you'd imagine. I've got so much to do - I've got exams on the 12th, 19th, 20th, 27th, 2nd and 4th for EU Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Equity and Trusts, Tortious Liability and Agency and Partnership Law. There is a lot to do - it's not that I hate it, it's challenging and I won't lie - there will be times where you just want to walk over a cliff. There will be times when you think you know absolutely nothing.

The most interesting aspect in law, I think, is Criminal Law. Criminal Law is one that most people enjoy because it's so common - just that people don't think of it. As a solicitor, there is a lot of paperwork involved - preparing court bundles and debriefing barristers. It is you who the clients come to first. It is the barrister who is the actual advocate - solicitors can be advocates if they wish but they need to take the certificate of advocacy for higher rights of audiance.

Usually, there will be a divide. Either you want to be a solicitor or a barrister - it's never really both. As a barrister, you have no life - litterally, so be warned. As a solicitor, you'll be more under pressure for deadlines and paperwork.

If you want to a quick tutorial on Criminal Law - feel free to add me as a friend on UG Profiles - I've written a few tutorials on Homicide and Theft.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by ultrasonic
The best thing you can do for homeless is buy them a cup off coffee or a mcdonalds, so they cant buy drugs then

A whole one?
Homeless people are a huge problem in my town. I guess not problem, but they are everywhere. I have gotten to know many of them, and they are really nice people. When I have cash on hand, I love to give some to them, and I really hope they will buy a decent meal.

A few years ago, after high school, me and this girl would sit behind our school and smoke bowls and every single day a vietnam veteran would ask us for a hit. He would tell us stories about his life, and sometimes we would give him money for food.

It makes me feel good to help them, even if they do spend it on crack, because I feel like I am doing something good for another human being who is in need.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Harmonius
It is the barrister who is the actual advocate - solicitors can be advocates if they wish but they need to take the certificate of advocacy for higher rights of audiance.

so some solicitors can litigate as if they were barristers, in some cases/courts?

Quote by Harmonius
As a barrister, you have no life - litterally, so be warned.

does that mean that barristers are tied down by a lot of work, or is it something else?

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock
so some solicitors can litigate as if they were barristers, in some cases/courts?

Yes

Quote by chillrock

does that mean that barristers are tied down by a lot of work, or is it something else?

No, that's it. Don't be suprised to find yourself being given a case on a Saturday and having to prepare for Court, Monday morning.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

thanks, Harmonius, i will definitely give it some thought.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
every homeless person who ive ever given money to has spent it on three things:

1) gold strike vodka for supermodel jacuzzi parties.

2) extacy for when he goes to da clubs.

3) new rims for his escalade, so he can roll wit da bitches.

so no, i dont give homeless people any money.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Urgh, I got asked for money today by a new hobo near college. I always say I've no money - they're all lying cunts. A group of friends and myself were sitting in the market, and this homeless bloke comes up, gives us this huge sob story about his girlfriend having gangrene and a broken collar bone and the flu etc etc before saying 'you don't have change do you?'
My friends being idiots gave him all they had. On the way home I saw him standing with his perfectly fine girlfriend. Urgh, they annoy me. Every single one around here is addicted to something and are nasty, violent louts.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I thought this thread was going to be about laws which relate to homelessness, and I was gearing up for some debate.
Quote by HanPlaysBass
+1 for completely unrelated questions.

Oh shit, I play bass.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
The best thing about the law is that it's, um, invisible!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
buy them food, dont give them money

thats the rule with homeless people unless there mugging you then your ****ed
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
1: Depending on what the homeless person looks like, I'd usually give them money. Ie if they are sitting there with a needle hanging out their arm, I don't. Otherwise I'd give them 50p-£1.

2: Law has never really interested me. Just my opinion.

seriously, could you have chosen two more unrelated questions TS?
Quote by ECwomantoneman

seriously, could you have chosen two more unrelated questions TS?

i just wanted to add a bit of variety to the thread...... actually i was thinking about them at the same time, and the title of the thread was sure to attract attention.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Last thing I would do is to give them money. They would just spend it on drugs/alcohol anyway. There aren't homeless guys here around, but I'd buy them a pizza or a hamburger or something like that.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube