Hey dudes, I'm looking for a new guitar, you may have seen my other thread but I'm going to make a new one for each choice I have to narrow them down so I don't get so many biased opinions twords one or another.

Ok so, I have a Schecter C1-Hellraiser and the type of music I play is pop punk/pop rock, punk, rock, nothing hi-gain (not often anyway).. But I have probably one of the better axes for metal :|..

I bought it because I had no idea what I was doing before, and thought EMG pickups looked cool .

I have around $700 and I always go used on eBay, the Sg standard goes for 8-900 so I have to save a bit more but I want to make a decision now.

So how is this guitar? Theres many people who swear by them, and many who hate it. I don't have a store to try anything so I make my gear decisions by my favorite artists.

Godbless and thanks dudes.

edit; I believe if I did decide to sell my Schecter I could get around $350 with it with my case? Maybe? That brings my budget to around $1000..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
They're great guitars I suppose. I personally don't like the Standards. I'd much rather have a '61 Reissue.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have an SG in my setup (Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry). Personally i think it is a lovely guitar, which is very versatile and produces the right sounds when you need them. It gives off quite a warm full sound due to the mahogany (something which I found Lacking in my Pacifica 112V) a good thing to do is to try to play the guitar before you buy. i think gibsons are an aquired taste and some people just dont like/appreciate what they can do. A short list of the best points my SG has

Thick neck gives me a lot more power behind my notes (unlike a Tele)
Thin body makes the guitar exceptionally light
Pickups produce a fantastic sound even when plugged into one of the ****ty school amps

A few bad points

If you let the guitar fall over onto the headstock you're looking to replace the entire guitar not just the neck
Sustain at low volume is not exceptional but it gets the job done
Clean it often or you wont appreciate it the same :P

Wait, save you're cash and get the SG (Mine went on ebay (BNIB) for £715+£25p&p) i dont regret it. alternitavely sell your Mesa Boogie and get a Standard then do a pickup change to the 57's or Burstbuckers (gives a tone more reminicant of AC/DC, Led Zep)
Their quite a bit more..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by Mrtomtwo
I have an SG in my setup (Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry). Personally i think it is a lovely guitar, which is very versatile and produces the right sounds when you need them. It gives off quite a warm full sound due to the mahogany (something which I found Lacking in my Pacifica 112V) a good thing to do is to try to play the guitar before you buy. i think gibsons are an aquired taste and some people just dont like/appreciate what they can do. A short list of the best points my SG has

Thick neck gives me a lot more power behind my notes (unlike a Tele)
Thin body makes the guitar exceptionally light
Pickups produce a fantastic sound even when plugged into one of the ****ty school amps

A few bad points

If you let the guitar fall over onto the headstock you're looking to replace the entire guitar not just the neck
Sustain at low volume is not exceptional but it gets the job done
Clean it often or you wont appreciate it the same :P

Wait, save you're cash and get the SG (Mine went on ebay (BNIB) for £715+£25p&p) i dont regret it. alternitavely sell your Mesa Boogie and get a Standard then do a pickup change to the 57's or Burstbuckers (gives a tone more reminicant of AC/DC, Led Zep)

I would never sell the boogie, I get anything from pristine cleans to face melting distortion, I love everything I get out of it.

But when you say it produces a sound like AC DC and Zep, I don't play much classic rock.. I love and respect the music and undoubtfully will learn to play it someday, but right now me and my friends just love playing the modern tunes that are popular. I notice that 3/4 of these bands either use an SG or an LP.

Sure! Alot of modern pop stuff, anyways;

Paramore, Sum 41, Underoath (Probably the heaviest I play.. Define the great line wise) , Fall out Boy, Green Day, Taking Back Sunday, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, RHCP, A Day To Remember, Boys Like Girls, Blink 182, All Time Low, AFI..

Looking around at the different pop punk bands of today, I've been seeing everything from LPs to Strats to SGs to Tom Delonge's ES-335... and really, there can be a lot of difference between two bands' LPs... they could be using different pick-ups (i.e. '57s vs. Burstbuckers) and they are likely even using vintage LPs... and on top of that, the difference of the amps...

I like the SGs, but they're a little unbalanced with one of the strap buttons being on the back of the body. If you can, go to a local music store, and try on an SG first. Make sure you're going to be careful with one on a strap, because they are a bit different...

Oh, and a small note, Tom Delonge uses a Dirty Fingers pick-up in the bridge... I don't know of any other bands out there that use that pup...
-George

Gear:
'52 RI Fender Tele Hot Rod (*drool*)
(93) 1994 40th Anniversary Fender Strat (American)
Michael Kelly Patriot Q in Amberburst
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Crate V8 Palomino 5W Tube Combo
Yeah I've played Epiphones G-400, and it was way neck heavy but I was told that they weigh a ton more then Gibsons SG's.

I'm not looking for a "Hey the SG is for you get it" answer, I'm just looking for like hey it fits your criteria go try it out or not. It's a couple hour drive to try though, I'll do it some weekend.

right from what i gather most of those bands use LP's however you would be sacrificing a lot of brightness in your tone when playing RHCP (mainly because they use a strat) so its kind of a comprimise. if you want to replicate them sound for sound then you'll probably want a LP but i find an SG still does the job. you're choice really a low end LP studio costs a bit more than an SG i think so i'd stick with the sg
Well I said RHCP but I do it leisurely, I've never performed RHCP live. I just like Froosh..

Yeah, the SG will probably fit you... if you put the same pups in an SG Standard and an LP Studio, you're probably not going to hear a huge difference... and while LPs do seem to be the most popular with those bands, some of them are using SGs, and I've been seeing more bands using the SG of late (All Time Low comes to mind, with both players using SGs)
-George

Gear:
'52 RI Fender Tele Hot Rod (*drool*)
(93) 1994 40th Anniversary Fender Strat (American)
Michael Kelly Patriot Q in Amberburst
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Crate V8 Palomino 5W Tube Combo
Quote by JrGuitarMan
Yeah, the SG will probably fit you... if you put the same pups in an SG Standard and an LP Studio, you're probably not going to hear a huge difference... and while LPs do seem to be the most popular with those bands, some of them are using SGs, and I've been seeing more bands using the SG of late (All Time Low comes to mind, with both players using SGs)

The Les Paul Studio and the SG Standard have the same pickups. They sound different.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The Les Paul Studio and the SG Standard have the same pickups. They sound different.

Hmm.. Should I stick with my SG decision?

Quote by tr3nt
Hmm.. Should I stick with my SG decision?

I forsee this becoming a giant LP vs. SG flamewar... but anyway, the LP and SG sound similar, but kinda different. LP sounds a good deal fatter, the SG's a bit punchier. Not to mention the obvious playability issues that the LP has, what with the giant neck, lack of upper- fret acess, and weight. The SG fixes the last 2 problems, but the neck's still pretty big.

Just to clarify, you're looking for humbuckers and not single- coils, right? You can get some damn good Strats and Teles for the same price, and there are some cool HH and SH teles out there as well.

EDIT: This, maybe?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Telecaster-HS-Electric-Guitar?sku=511593
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I forsee this becoming a giant LP vs. SG flamewar... but anyway, the LP and SG sound similar, but kinda different. LP sounds a good deal fatter, the SG's a bit punchier. Not to mention the obvious playability issues that the LP has, what with the giant neck, lack of upper- fret acess, and weight. The SG fixes the last 2 problems, but the neck's still pretty big.

Just to clarify, you're looking for humbuckers and not single- coils, right? You can get some damn good Strats and Teles for the same price, and there are some cool HH and SH teles out there as well.

EDIT: This, maybe?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Telecaster-HS-Electric-Guitar?sku=511593

I'd rather have my bridge have the bucker ;\..

anyone else?

sure, the gibson sg standard is a great guitar, in my taste one of the most versatile guitar i used, and i been though fenders to ibanez to gibson back and back. in fact i like mine so much i havent touched my new les paul signature in over 2 month, as for price, yes it is around 800-900ish on ebay, i got a great deal on mine from this collector, he also gave me free overnight shipping and it came out to a total of 810 usd.