Poll: Writing your own songs vs. being able to shred?
Poll Options
View poll results: Writing your own songs vs. being able to shred?
writing your own songs
261 87%
playing covers of difficult classical pieces or complex solos
38 13%
Voters: 299.
Page 1 of 3
Is it better to write your own songs or be able to shred, play classical pieces or cover songs with complex solos?
It's up to what you want to be as a musician. I say write your own stuff however I can't shred. I can play classical pieces and I cover songs but complex solos are beyond me. So it's really personal prefference.

EDIT: at the risk of starting a war, I can't beleive I used the word musician. Guitarist, is more appropraite.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
well its all about opinion.
when i was playing guitar i tended to lean towards cover songs that were complex btu when i picked up the drums well i hate covering. i like to make up my own ****.
there are pros and cons for both.

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
Writing your own songs. It depends what the song is though. Being able to play technically is great, but it's useless unless you know how to use it. You couldn't write a song that only uses tapping or sweeping.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Personal preference tbh.

Many people don't play much outside of their own compositions and other people just like to learn covers or better their skills. Most people like a bit of both.
The reason I ask is - I asked, who's more musically talented - Adam Sandler, or a guy who can play Bach Sonatas - and people were saying - Adam Sandler, because at least he writes his own songs. I was like, you're crazy!
In that case I can quit learning how to sweep pick if all I need are 3 chord mid tempo acoustic songs.
Quote by pos69sum
In that case I can quit learning how to sweep pick if all I need are 3 chord mid tempo acoustic songs.

Ok.
Writing my own songs by a billion points. I can shred too, I suppose, but composing is much more fun than going on a rampage on my guitar.
Ok, why don't you jsut write stuff with both????

And dont' stop learning to sweep pick just because poeple say you can't write a whole song with them, they're useful, and they are useful in solos as well. And sweeping is a classically started thing btw.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If writing songs is better than playing complex covers, why is it that 99 percent of the original music I listen to on myspace is unlistenable?
Well don't you think it's a pretty stupid question? Half the songs probably aren't as technical or difficult to play as some crazy shredding think that someone else has already done. They're completely different things.

It takes more skill to write a 3 chord ballad or whatever the hell you wanna call it than to learn someone elses.

It takes more skill to write your own crazy technical piece than to learn someone elses.
If you could do both then that would probably be the best, wouldn't it?
I'm going to create the procrastination club, just later...
Because you'll never be able to write an original shred song until you've played a ton of shred covers. You'll never get there writing ****ty 3 chord acoustic songs.
this thread is stupid, better to be creative and yourself than copy others.
Quote by pos69sum
Because you'll never be able to write an original shred song until you've played a ton of shred covers. You'll never get there writing ****ty 3 chord acoustic songs.

wtf are you saying????

yes, you can write an original shred song without playing a ton of shred covers, yngwie malmsteen never learned a whole bunch of shred covers did he??? its called creativity, get some.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

i dont understand how those two are even comparible.......

you can learn/write songs AND be able to shred
You have to be able to do both, if you really want to be a successful and competent musician/guitarist. Both playing another persons music and writing your own compliment each other and develop each other in a way that wouldn't happen unless you attempted both...

That's like saying which is better in physical fitness, strength or speed.
My God, it's full of stars!
You can teach a monkey to do tricks, you can't teach it to create it's own. I'd much rather be able to write music- what can you possibly get out of playing other people's pieces?

But of course, it's best to have both.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
what can you possibly get out of playing other people's pieces?

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by rabidguitarist
You can teach a monkey to do tricks, you can't teach it to create it's own. I'd much rather be able to write music- what can you possibly get out of playing other people's pieces?

Laid, is what you can get.

Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Dreadnought

I just don't see the point myself. Sure, I play Classical music and enjoy doing it, but it's only really to build technique and learn things that I can use in writing.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist

You can enjoy playing other people's pieces, which in turn allows you to gain some form of satisfaction.

But writing is still better.
Remember kids, being a shit player is the ONLY way to have a chance at writing your own songs. Nobody on the planet who has any half-decent proficiency on the guitar is capable of producing an original piece.

And don't forget to throw in a lot of sloppy bends, and some nice sliding. Oh, how could I forget the grand-daddy of every technique invented, domo arigato Mr. Vibrato.
These are clearly the only ways to convey any sense of human emotion or feelings in music.
I can't shred, nor do I want to. I'd rather just play my own noisy shit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Quote by pos69sum

You really ought to stay quiet, man. You don't need to play a million songs before you can write your own.

And ****ty 3 chord acoustic songs? Yeah, I'm sure that's all there is out there; Shred and Acoustic songs with simple progressions.
Use shred techniques to make awesome songs. E.g. Steve Morse, Satch, all those guys. That's the way to be. That's also very difficult, lol. I think it's great to make your own songs but also try to improve your technique and knowledge as you go so you can make better songs!
Why not just play guitar for yourself? Learn whatever techniques you need to write whatever type of song you want to write.
Quote by pos69sum
Is it better to write your own songs or be able to shred, play classical pieces or cover songs with complex solos?

The last one is a bit of an oxymoron. Classical peices are sometimes complex solos (with more instruments.)
Last edited by metaldud536 at Apr 26, 2008,
Anyone can learn to play someone else's song. It takes a true musician to write a song everyone else wants to learn.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Quote by valennic
wtf are you saying????

yes, you can write an original shred song without playing a ton of shred covers, yngwie malmsteen never learned a whole bunch of shred covers did he??? its called creativity, get some.

You're dumb. Yngwie played Paganini and Bach covers for years before he ever wrote any original songs.
If you ask people 'what would you rather hear, a guy playing Paganini Caprice No .5 extremely well, or some dude's crappy song' most would say Paganini.
If the general public knew who Paganini was.

Simple songs sell. Classical is a refined taste. And about the Yngwie thing, just bring up one of the best and use him as an example, lets extrapolate more shall we?

Mozart was writing by the time he was what? 3 or 4? So obviously, if you can't play piano you can't write well? And if you can't write simplistically (Early Mozart is quite simple melodically) then you must be ****... So your whole shred idea just got shot to hell Nice day.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Page 1 of 3