I have no money right now but am going to save up and probably soon have in the price range $400-$700 and was wondering what would be the smarter decision, getting a guitar or an amplifier. If I was to get a guitar it would probably be a Ibanez S470DXQM. I wanted a new guitar because I have a stratocaster right now and I want a new guitar with more frets so I can play Steve Vai songs to its full entirety instead of changing it around. The reason I want a new amp is because I have a Crate 15 watt solid state which is pretty terrible. What would be the smartest decision? And if you say amp then what would be a good tube amp for that price range?
GET THE AMP...NOW!!!!

as for which one...Blackheart amps are getting love left and right. Epi VJ, Palmino, Fender tubes are also good picks
amp is always the better choice, you can play a ****ty guitar through a good amp and it'll still sound pretty good, play a nice guitar through a ****ty amp and it'll sound like ****...
david highland speaks the truth
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
UG says amp. Someone had this quote, I think it was The Red Strat, and it said:

Amp before guitar, always. Unless your guitar is a piece of plywood with strings...

..Actually thinking of it, maybe it was DarkArbiter? Memory..
Quote by bartdevil_metal
UG says amp. Someone had this quote, I think it was The Red Strat, and it said:

Amp before guitar, always. Unless your guitar is a piece of plywood with strings...

..Actually thinking of it, maybe it was DarkArbiter? Memory..

T'was darkarbiter.

And yes. Amp. Amp. Amp. Amp. I could go on.....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
well i allmost always say amp, however, your guitar is holding you back and doesnt have enough frets for you to learn the songs that you want to play. i would say buy that guitar and save another $200 and buy a 5w tube amp.
every needs a good amp, but if your guitar is holding you back, then you need to replace it.
Quote by chea_man
well i allmost always say amp, however, your guitar is holding you back and doesnt have enough frets for you to learn the songs that you want to play. i would say buy that guitar and save another $200 and buy a 5w tube amp.
every needs a good amp, but if your guitar is holding you back, then you need to replace it.

Best post in the thread.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Best post in the thread.

thank you very much, but im sure every one will soon flame me for having my own opinion, independent of bandwagons.

except who posts right after me, haha
Last edited by chea_man at Apr 26, 2008,
i'll usually say amp, but I have a mesa and a lp custom and even though i got great tone, it wasn't until i recently bought an ibanez with the locking tremolo/more frets that I could really play the songs that I was itchin to play. Now I keep the LP in the case and rock the ibanez all the time.

If you want to practice shreddy songs that utilize more frets, and aren't playing on stage yet, get the guitar and save for the amp.
Quote by chea_man

Actually, that is the smartest thing to in your case...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by chea_man

or he could have good tone and improve at playing by learning how to bend from 21/22 to 24
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
or he could have good tone and improve at playing by learning how to bend from 21/22 to 24

+1
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

And what happens if he needs to bend up to a high F#

Better playing my arse.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

well im guessing hes wanting to do a little more than just reach that note. why dont you just tell him to tune up a step or two and then he will have all those notes.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

my playing drastically improved when i got a guitar specially designed for the songs/style i wanted to play. looks like he was a locking trem in addition to the 24 frets.
i know when i started playing and i got my first cube, the tone i was getting was very motivating and i then became obsessed at that point, and i was quickly getting better. so i think better tone will help him improve more rather than a new guitar.

EDIT: wait a second i just noticed that he had about $700. get a nice tube amp and a new guitar with thtat money. you can get a nice 24 fret guitar and a nice tube amp for that money, definitely, just go used. i'm surprised at myself that i noticed that, im usually dont catch things like that cause im retarded. oh, and i looked at the link, it says that the guitar has 22 frets.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix
Best post in the thread.

I disagree, getting a new guitar just because the killer one you already have doesn't have two extra frets doesn't make any sense. If he wants to learn a cover that requires those frets why not just drop what your playing a couple frets, being in a different key isn't going to hurt. like I already said, getting a new guitar, disregarding the great one that's already in his possession, would be a waste of money without a better amp....
Quote by TheNoManBand
I have no money right now but am going to save up and probably soon have in the price range $400-$700 and was wondering what would be the smarter decision, getting a guitar or an amplifier. If I was to get a guitar it would probably be a Ibanez S470DXQM. I wanted a new guitar because I have a stratocaster right now and I want a new guitar with more frets so I can play Steve Vai songs to its full entirety instead of changing it around. The reason I want a new amp is because I have a Crate 15 watt solid state which is pretty terrible. What would be the smartest decision? And if you say amp then what would be a good tube amp for that price range?

Get the guitar and a used Blackheart or Epi stack.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by david_highland
I disagree, getting a new guitar just because the killer one you already have doesn't have two extra frets doesn't make any sense. If he wants to learn a cover that requires those frets why not just drop what your playing a couple frets, being in a different key isn't going to hurt. like I already said, getting a new guitar, disregarding the great one that's already in his possession, would be a waste of money without a better amp....

i agree.
you shouldnt waste your tone and your omeny on a couple of extra notes.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
You realize that guitar has 22 frets, right? Also, I think you should go used. I bet you could find a used B-52 AT-112 for 300 bucks, pretty easy. 50 watts, very versatile with LOTS of gain on tap. Then, get a good guitar for like 500. buy it used and you can get it cheaper.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar-519965-i1150869.gc
Maybe this? I don't really know Ibanez but this seems to fit the criteria.
I was gonna say, the S only has 22 frets and still doesnt fit the bill for 24 frets like Vai. If you want an Ibanez you need an RG series something. Like everyone else said (who have already said the good answers) go used, get a solid amp, then a guitar, would be my solution. That way, if the guitar has to wait for a little bit, you still have improved your overall sound quite drastically.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by shizzybrane
i'll usually say amp, but I have a mesa and a lp custom and even though i got great tone, it wasn't until i recently bought an ibanez with the locking tremolo/more frets that I could really play the songs that I was itchin to play. Now I keep the LP in the case and rock the ibanez all the time.

If you want to practice shreddy songs that utilize more frets, and aren't playing on stage yet, get the guitar and save for the amp.

Also, I hate to threadjack, but shizzybrane, get a good overdrive for your amp. Like an OCD or something of that sort. It makes the Road King II into a whole new amp. The amp is so much more articulate with one.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.