Well I have never set foot inside a guitar center in my life (mainly due to the fact that i've only been playing an acoustic for 3 weeks, which I puchased at a differant guitar store) and I need advice on negotiating on my first electric guitar setup.

Well here is what i'm planning on purchasing unless my brother finds a major flaw or reason why I should reconsider. (he's going to be going along with me because he's been playing for over 10 years)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar-512492-i1147796.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30w-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102640802-i1145735.gc

along with a stand and a 10 ft cable, so all in all it would add up to $552 before tax ($607 after).

Now i'm wanting this case http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG140C-Hardshell-Guitar-Case-549996-i1152782.gc which is $90. So everything added together would be about $710 after tax. Do you think it would be easier to try and negotiate and try and get it all for about $650 or do you think it'd be easier to try and get the case thrown in for free?
Wear a disguise.

Walk in with everything you want written down, hand it to them and say "I want this, for this much, or I'll take my business elsewhere." If they accept, good on you. If not, leave, take the disguise off, and then come back and buy it for the proper price. It all depends on whose working really.
Real eyes realise real lies.
they arent going to give you things for free, I got 10 dollars taken off a used guitar i was buying, thats the highest they gave me off.

My advice is to get a hot girl to buy it. haha Seems to work.
I don't know about guitar center (I'm from Canada), but from my experience buying guitars, they will often give you a good deal on the case if you are buying a guitar at the same time. For a relatively inexpensive guitar, I doubt they'll throw it in free, but it could be discounted.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Y'know... it can be hard to go in there and get a discount... but sometimes it's easy... now-a-days, it's easy for me to get a discount, because I deal with one of the assistant managers and I've spent a good chunk of change... from what I had been hearing from him earlier this year, GCs were having some trouble with sales... so, you may have luck saying "Give me a discount or I'm going elsewhere..." but that also won't make you a friend for the next time you come in looking for something. I've gotten discounts even from the other salespeople, just by being friendly and knowing what I want when I go in there...
-George

Gear:
'52 RI Fender Tele Hot Rod (*drool*)
(93) 1994 40th Anniversary Fender Strat (American)
Michael Kelly Patriot Q in Amberburst
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Crate V8 Palomino 5W Tube Combo
Just wave a wad of cash in their face and unless they're stupid they'll prolly take it

by wad of cash, i mean something close to the figure- dont try to get it for too much of a discount

Also, notice things which are wrong with the guitar, and point them out- they'll probably knock a few dollars/squids off the price

Hope this helps!
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
There's two strategies you can take.

1. Go in, try out guitar and amp. Wait for the salesman to talk to you and say "Okay, I really like this guitar/ amp but I'm thinking of buying them used. Is there anything you can throw in to sweeten the deal, like a case or cables or something?"

2. Same, but say "I've only got (insert minimum price you think you can get it for here). Do you think you could knock a few dollars off the price?" If not, say "Okay, whatever," and walk out. If he doesn't stop you, come back a few minutes later, having miraculously "found" some more money in the car. Repeat if necessary.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
There's two strategies you can take.

1. Go in, try out guitar and amp. Wait for the salesman to talk to you and say "Okay, I really like this guitar/ amp but I'm thinking of buying them used. Is there anything you can throw in to sweeten the deal, like a case or cables or something?"

2. Same, but say "I've only got (insert minimum price you think you can get it for here). Do you think you could knock a few dollars off the price?" If not, say "Okay, whatever," and walk out. If he doesn't stop you, come back a few minutes later, having miraculously "found" some more money in the car. Repeat if necessary.

those were actually the two ideas I had. I just wasn't sure if its easier to get accessories for free or discounts on the whole package.
great ideas so far....but while you're in there, listen to convos and try to find the nicest guy working there...and sound desperate
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS