as the title suggests, im looking for a great way of getting a marshall type sound for jimi hendrix experience type stuff, without the marshall price tag. i looked at oranges, for some reason i thought they were more affordable. any suggestions are good though, please include price in US (my budget is basically less than a marshall, but hopefully less than a grand) and i prefer a head, but a conbo is fine. anywhere from 5-50 watts. its all good. thanks alot for the help.
Laney VC15/30. Can be very marshally, check Mr_Carrot's profile for sounds.

I hear Traynor YVC40s (something like that) can be very marhsally too but i've never played one, i'm going by what i've heard.
i always thought they were pretty much vox ac15/30 clones. but ill look into them.
They kinda are, but if it's British medium gain tones you're after the Laneys are very nice. But after reading you're in the US the Laney's aren't as good value as in the UK.
yeah, it seems over here we cant find anything british sounding for a good price.
Quote by chea_man
i always thought they were pretty much vox ac15/30 clones. but ill look into them.

they seem to sound somewhere between to me. i can get a very marshally tone from my VC30 because i use a Marshall Jackhammer overdrive pedal.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
i tried an epi valve junior, and really didnt care for it at all. i thought it would be marshally sounding. i think it just sounded bad.
http://www.ceriatone.com/

check them out, they make Marshall clones for much cheaper than you would pay for a real one.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799

check them out, they make Marshall clones for much cheaper than you would pay for a real one.

i am stupid when it comes to that stuff, i could never figure out how much one actually costs.
Quote by chea_man
i am stupid when it comes to that stuff, i could never figure out how much one actually costs.

the price of one completely assembled and ready to play is under the "Cabnet" section after you click on an amp.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799

check them out, they make real Marshalls for much cheaper than you would pay for a clone.

Fixed.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I'd say get a Ceriatone or a Laney. I haven't played a Ceriatone, but they seem to be quite nice and I've heard nothing but good things about them
But I own a Laney and have played many of them, and I can tell you the VC aren't like Vox AC's. They have some things in common, but in the end they sound really marhsally. Though, I can't recommend them if you're in the US, since they're much more expensive there.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
If your willing to go used, you can get the real deal Marshall - head and cab for less than a grand. I just got a bitchin DSL50 Head for $450!!! Just check eBay/craigs list you can easily get a sweet marshall set up. Good Luck!
Quote by damnedone
If your willing to go used, you can get the real deal Marshall - head and cab for less than a grand. I just got a bitchin DSL50 Head for $450!!! Just check eBay/craigs list you can easily get a sweet marshall set up. Good Luck!

he wants an amp for Hendrix type stuff and the DSL is more of a "metal" amp correct?

i don't see why he couldn't get a brand new Ceriatone and a brand new Avatar cab for about $1000 too.

but yes normally i would agree with you, buying used can sometimes get you more for your money.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Bro, the Ceritone is a GREAT option! In fact, I looked into those as an option. Just ended up getting a real marshall for less (of course used ) As far as the DSL and Hendrix tone check out this vid and decide for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeJ98sY0VCA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikizic.org%2FMarshall-1960A%2F

ADDED: IMHO the DSL is a more "modern" sounding amp...but not really the best option for metal. It's supposed to be a combination of a plexi and a 800 (Dual Super Lead DSL.) This amp is great for all things classic and can be used for metal (but again, there are prolly better options.)

Quote by Waterboy799
he wants an amp for Hendrix type stuff and the DSL is more of a "metal" amp correct?

i don't see why he couldn't get a brand new Ceriatone and a brand new Avatar cab for about $1000 too.

but yes normally i would agree with you, buying used can sometimes get you more for your money.
Last edited by damnedone at Apr 26, 2008,