If you tune down with normal strings I think one whole step(D-G-C-F) will still sound ok.
But for C tuning or even lower you need special strings.
Well, you can tune it low as you like with proper strings and setups. I mean, there's a C# standard tuned four string that's below the F# below the B. That low enough?

You shouldn't be tuning low just because you want to tune low. Tune low to get range you couldn't, or get get a fuller sound, but don't tune down just because you think you should.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Yeah, you won't really be able to go any lower than drop B if you actually want to be able to play it.
if you want to go down past one full step down and you want it to sound good you're gonna need these

i've actually seen basses tuned down to drop A... but i have no clue how high the gauges on those strings are...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
i've actually seen basses tuned down to drop A... but i have no clue how high the gauges on those strings are...

Probably .135's, on a 35" scale that wouldnt be too hard.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
A certain somebody we know tunes down to a low F#.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Low C#, but who's counting?

That's the one, I knew it was a something sharp
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by P-Bass Pirate

Drop A isn't that low. A 125 or 130 string would be fine. In fact Troy Sanders from Mastodon uses a normal d'Addario 4 string set and tunes the lowest string to A for some songs - I think he uses a 105 or a 110 string.
I've seen gauges at like 160 and the warwick overlord coems setup for the low C tuning I believe but This is just based off of memerory from 4 hours of sleep the past 50 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitz
The last cover I saw was of Pete Wentz. No kidding. I saw a Pete Wentz cover, then I never saw a Bass Guitar Magazine again.

Coincidence? I think not.
i've tuned to a drop E, thats what Nile's bassist does
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
I'd like to point out that a lot of people can't distinguish tones below open E, or thereabouts. I have a fiver, and many people I know can't even make out a melody when I use frets 0-5/6 on it.
Nope, no sig here.