Hello,

So lately I've been trying to improve my music theory skills and I had a pretty simple question about the Steve Vai song For the Love of God.

OK, so the first riff (the one everybody knows), this riff is in the key of E, right? I always thought that it was in B because it appears to be using B minor pentatonic, but steve hits the G note on the 8th fret of the B string and that note is not in the key. But, that G note is in the Em pentatonic scale starting on the 12th fret. So I'm guessing that he formed the riff in E and then moved it around so he could slide between frets and the notes would be easier to hit because the frets are bigger? Am I right or way off?

Thanks for the help.
Fender Deluxe Roadhouse (MIM)
Vox AC15C1
Look at the notes and the chords

Emadd9
B D G B

Cmaj7
E D B G B D A

its E minor, with the melody more or less being made out of the E minor pentatonic

edit: Vai doesn't think in boxes
I think he's mentioned in clinics that the melody just came to him one day, no guitar involved for its birth
Last edited by seljer at Apr 26, 2008,
It's in B minor, actually. That G note occurs naturally in B minor, it's not out of place in any way.

Seljer: That chord is not really a Cmaj7, it's actually Fmaj7#11. This is most easily seen in the second lick of the beginning of the solo, where Vai uses a characteristic F Lydian lick over that.
Last edited by :-D at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by fender7802
Hello,

So lately I've been trying to improve my music theory skills and I had a pretty simple question about the Steve Vai song For the Love of God.

OK, so the first riff (the one everybody knows), this riff is in the key of E, right? I always thought that it was in B because it appears to be using B minor pentatonic, but steve hits the G note on the 8th fret of the B string and that note is not in the key. But, that G note is in the Em pentatonic scale starting on the 12th fret. So I'm guessing that he formed the riff in E and then moved it around so he could slide between frets and the notes would be easier to hit because the frets are bigger? Am I right or way off?

Thanks for the help.

Sound right to me. I'm sure Steve could write outside the key and make it sound good anyway.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Yeah I've got the Passion and Warfare book and the key signature is Em for the intro.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
everyone is kinda right the key signature is G major and it floats around mostly B phrygian and E aeolian