I think I've just about had it with my Spider III so I want to get a good tube amp or something.

I need something that can give me enough gain to play anything from thrash to br00tal death mettles. Good cleans are an asset too.

Lets say my price range is $1500 max but I will go slightly over if I need too. I have no intention of gigging any time soon as I play mostly for fun (and showing off?) so I don't think a big-ass stack will be ideal. Maybe just a good combo or half stack or something.

I figure I'd get a good amp before I go buy a better guitar.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Peavey 5150/6505? Mesas?

Idk. I'm in pretty much the same boat (Minus the spider, of course), and I've settled on buying a 5150. I'm sure better suggestions will come along with your price range.
^ 5150/6505 would be cool, just the cleans might not be good enough.

used mesa f-series combo, perhaps? peavey xxx combo? probably some other options too, i'm not too well up on US pricing...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KingJustinian25
mesa

Most Mesa's in that price range aren't that great IMO.

Look into the Carvin V3!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
You might be able to score a used Mesa Mark IV for that price.
EDIT: ^ A good idea, but I don't believe there is a combo version.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Would I get the same kind of "grunt" out of a combo than a stack or is it something I won't notice?
I'm definitely considering the 5150/6505 or the Peavey XXX.

But I didn't see the XXX combo on Peavey's website, but people have got them on youtube and whatnot. Have they stopped producing them or something?
Quote by Doodleface

Look into the Carvin V3!

+1 carvin V3 combo with celestion v30/green back hybrids, DONT GET V30'S WITH A V3, its too over the top for it.
As awesome as the V3 combo looks, it seems I wouldn't be able to try it first since I would have to order directly from Carvin? Or is it that good I should just do it anyway (if I do decide on it)
Quote by Doodleface

Look into the Carvin V3!

Mesa F-30 or F-50 > V3

I would say F-30 or a Mesa Mark III or Mark IV combo. If you get a Mark III make sure it has the 5 band parametric eq. Either of these fall in that price range, especially used, and they sound kick ass at low volumes.
I say the Mark IV combo, or maybe the JSX combo (But only if you throw some 6l6's in there). You can probably get a JSX combo for like a grand used.
Random stab in the dark.. (though i've never heard one live) a peavey JSX?
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Quote by Doodleface

Look into the Carvin V3!

If you go used, almost every Mesa made is in that price range...

TS, look into used:

Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore
Peavey XXX
Peavey JSX
Mesa F Series
Mesa DC Series
Mesa Rect/Trem-O-Verb
Mesa Mark III/IV
Krank Rev +
Krank Krankenstein +
Rivera Knucklehead
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Doodleface

Look into the Carvin V3!

If you buy used you can find the following for less than $1,500:

Rectifiers, F series, Nomads, Mark IV's, Mark III's, Stilettos, the occasional roadster, and I've seen roadkings sell for $1,700.

Of course most of those do require a cabinet also but, if you're going to spend all of your money on both the head and cab for $1,500 you kind of limit your potential rig's quality.

It's going to be easier for you to buy the head you want with $1,500 and the cab later than it is to find a specific head for $1,000. Chances are it would be worth the wait also.

...that is of course if you did buy a head, instead of a combo...

Personally....I really really disliked the V3...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
In the long run, will a head/cab be better than getting a combo?
I'm willing to save up more I need too.

Keep in mind that I play guitar as a hobby and the amp will mostly be used for home use and basement jams and stuff like that.
Last edited by Demonazzz at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by Demonazzz

Keep in mind that I play guitar as a hobby and the amp will mostly be used for home use and basement jams and stuff like that.

Get a combo,
a head/cab would be un-necessary for you
+1 a stack would be excessive for you. I would look for a used Mesa combo.
Quote by Demonazzz

I prefer head/cab over combo. In your situation a combo would be more convienant but you have more options out there if you buy a $1,500 head and a cab later than buying a $1,500 combo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ not outside the US... o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i call ENGL Screamer/Thunder
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Well I was out shopping today and I may have found a both a good JSX and 6505 half stack.
In the long run, which of these is a better amp?

The guy in the music store really praises the JSX and he jammed on it and it like was sex to the ears.
Quote by Demonazzz
Well I was out shopping today and I may have found a both a good JSX and 6505 half stack.
In the long run, which of these is a better amp?

The guy in the music store really praises the JSX and he jammed on it and it like was sex to the ears.

It's really up to you.

Personally, I like the JSX better. The tone is more smooth and not as harsh sounding as a 6505/5150, plus it's much more versatile. If I were to get a 6505 it'd be the + version though as it's much nicer sounding to my ears.

Some people don't like the sound of the JSX for metal though and some even go as far as saying it *can't* do metal. I dunno wtf they're on?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Some people don't like the sound of the JSX for metal though and some even go as far as saying it *can't* do metal. I dunno wtf they're on?

I wouldn't say it can't do metal, just don't care for it's metal voicing personally. That's just personal preference though. Much prefer the 5150 for metal imo, nowhere near the versatility though. I don't like the combo as much as the heads either. I think the combo's 60W transformer compared to the head's 120W sounds a little different, little more punch and aggression in the head. Plus the combo speakers are pretty meh. I like the combo cleans more, sounds a little warmer, but I like the OD more on the head.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
As a self-admitted, gain-wh*re, I used to LOVE my 6505, non-plus head . . . I used to LUST over the Framus Cobra at Guitar Center. I used to continually daydream of a Soldano SLO100 . . .

UNTIL . . . I discovered Mesa/Boogie amps . . .

I used to think Mesas sounded muddy. It took three separate trips to the Mesa/Boogie Hollywood store to figure this out for myself . . . now, I know. They just sound FULL OF TONE. Tone, with a capital f*ckin' 'T.' On DC-series and Mark-series amps, you have to pull out a fair amount of the bass and mids, or else they can sound muddy and boxey, especially when recorded (even with good mics). But EQ these amps correctly (using their built-in EQ), and they sound awesome. The DC-series and most Mark-series amps have that bitchin'-ass, five-band, built-in, graphic EQ, which is the sh*t!

I don't run any pedals except for a Roland Space Echo re-issue, the RE-20, in my DC-3's FX loop (and, a G•Major, on occasion, for those "special" effects). I have no pedals whatsoever on the Recto.

Now . . . I wouldn't recommend a 5150/6505 to anyone unless it was modded by FJAmods with an upgraded output transformer. Just too fizzy. I just got a mint-condition, used Mesa/Boogie Single-Rectifier Solo 50 head for $900, basically, mainly for use with rhythms. It has that heart-stopping, low-end thump (albeit, a tad too loose), brilliant high-end (a tiny bit fizzy), and enough gain and presence on tap to dial up to infinity. A few weeks ago, I also bought another mint-condition, Mesa/Boogie DC-3 head for $650, and it's the most awesome, toneful amp for leads ever (very Mark-ish sounding lead channel).

Now, I have two AWESOME, and very different-sounding amps, for a total investment of only $1,550 USD (both amps' pricing included shipping). Best to get two Boogies. A Recto for that BIG Framus Cobra-ish sound with infinite gain on-tap, and a DC-series (DC-3, DC-5, DC-10), Mark III or Mark IV for leads. Used, you can afford any of these excellent Mesa amps, maybe even two!

I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT! DRUNK THE KOOL-AID! MESA IS THE HOME OF TONE!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by LEVEL4
As a self-admitted, gain-wh*re, I used to LOVE my 6505, non-plus head . . . I used to LUST over the Framus Cobra at Guitar Center. I used to continually daydream of a Soldano SLO100 . . .

UNTIL . . . I discovered Mesa/Boogie amps . . .

I used to think Mesas sounded muddy. It took three separate trips to the Mesa/Boogie Hollywood store to figure this out for myself . . . now, I know. They just sound FULL OF TONE. Tone, with a capital f*ckin' 'T.' On DC-series and Mark-series amps, you have to pull out a fair amount of the bass and mids, or else they can sound muddy and boxey, especially when recorded (even with good mics). But EQ these amps correctly (using their built-in EQ), and they sound awesome. The DC-series and most Mark-series amps have that bitchin'-ass, five-band, built-in, graphic EQ, which is the sh*t!

I don't run any pedals except for a Roland Space Echo re-issue, the RE-20, in my DC-3's FX loop (and, a G•Major, on occasion, for those "special" effects). I have no pedals whatsoever on the Recto.

Now . . . I wouldn't recommend a 5150/6505 to anyone unless it was modded by FJAmods with an upgraded output transformer. Just too fizzy. I just got a mint-condition, used Mesa/Boogie Single-Rectifier Solo 50 head for $900, basically, mainly for use with rhythms. It has that heart-stopping, low-end thump (albeit, a tad too loose), brilliant high-end (a tiny bit fizzy), and enough gain and presence on tap to dial up to infinity. A few weeks ago, I also bought another mint-condition, Mesa/Boogie DC-3 head for $650, and it's the most awesome, toneful amp for leads ever (very Mark-ish sounding lead channel).

Now, I have two AWESOME, and very different-sounding amps, for a total investment of only $1,550 USD (both amps' pricing included shipping). Best to get two Boogies. A Recto for that BIG Framus Cobra-ish sound with infinite gain on-tap, and a DC-series (DC-3, DC-5, DC-10), Mark III or Mark IV for leads. Used, you can afford any of these excellent Mesa amps, maybe even two!

I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT! DRUNK THE KOOL-AID! MESA IS THE HOME OF TONE!

i love your enthusiasm --- and i have to admit i've become a mesa fanboy too ever since i got my single recto.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips