Cormorant (they're better than Possessed! Just ask Jeff Becerra!)

Page 5 of 7
Here's a little treat I just made yesterday to thank people for all the U-G votes. Since this is a musician forum after all, it should be helpful to all the bassists out there. It's a demonstration of the intro to Salt of the Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tajhOdRoaro

I've received a lot of requests for mini-tutorials recently, so hope that helps! I can try my best to answer any theory questions as well.
That's awesome. Quite the bass tone ya got there, ser.

Also, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR?!
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Hahaha, I sold out for a job interview (that and I was tired of being referred to as "Jesus" on a daily basis). I got the gig so it was worth it! And since a huge chunk of my personal finances go into music, it's for a good cause.

Now that I'm happily secure in my position I'm growing it back. It should be back to where it was by this summer or so.

As to tone, you're hearing that bass out of a crappy little practice amp I got at a pawn shop. The sound's all in the Bartolini pickups, Aguilar pre-amp, and of course Greg's incredible craftsmanship.
As of 2006, there are 13 people whose driver's license is registered under the name Jesus Christ.

In other news, beautiful bass. Are the fanned frets as odd to play as they look?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
The fans take about a month or so to acclimate to, but now I feel weird playing anything else! I play a lot of arpeggiated chord shapes, and the fans actually contort to my hands very nicely.

And one of my employees is actually named Jesus. Not "Christ" though. Damn good worker, lives up to his name.
^ So, would you say a fanned fret guitar would be about the same? And also, how hard would it be to jump from normal guitar to a fretless bass, were I to purchase one?
Quote by TheTiberian
Hahaha, I sold out for a job interview (that and I was tired of being referred to as "Jesus" on a daily basis). I got the gig so it was worth it! And since a huge chunk of my personal finances go into music, it's for a good cause.

Now that I'm happily secure in my position I'm growing it back. It should be back to where it was by this summer or so.

As to tone, you're hearing that bass out of a crappy little practice amp I got at a pawn shop. The sound's all in the Bartolini pickups, Aguilar pre-amp, and of course Greg's incredible craftsmanship.

Ah, I see. How much do Nelson's instruments usually set one back, on average? Are they sorta like say, a Carvin, where they're less expensive than they would be if sold in stores?
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Quote by TheTiberian
And one of my employees is actually named Jesus. Not "Christ" though. Damn good worker, lives up to his name.

That's not that uncommon in the Bay though, is it?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by Burning_Angel
^ So, would you say a fanned fret guitar would be about the same? And also, how hard would it be to jump from normal guitar to a fretless bass, were I to purchase one?

Ah, I see. How much do Nelson's instruments usually set one back, on average? Are they sorta like say, a Carvin, where they're less expensive than they would be if sold in stores?

I've never played a fanned guitar, but I would assume the learning curve would be a bit higher than on bass, since guitar is so chord-dependent, you'd have to tweak all your fingering. But once you get it down it should feel very natural. Though honestly there's no real point to a fanned guitar unless you're going with extended ranges though, say 7 or 8 strings like Ihsahn or Meshuggah.

Fretless bass is extremely difficult. A lot of starter bassists will say "oh, it's not that hard" but really their intonation is off and they don't realize it. Much respect to Claypool, but his tone is drenched in effects and played more percussively than melodiously, so if he's out of tune you don't notice. That's not a dig on him, it's just his style. Even amazing shredders like Steve DiGiorgio will fall out of tune (watch some live videos and you'll notice). It's really almost like playing a classical instrument, and you have to treat it that way.

On average, Greg's instruments range from $1,500 to $3,500, which sounds expensive, but is much more affordable than an equivalent instrument by Alembic, Ritter, or any other custom builder. He builds EVERYTHING completely custom to spec. The basses he built for me are hand-carved to my design, everything from the body to the neck to the slot for the (working!) antique pocket watch in the headstock. There's no assembly line, it's just one genius luthier in his garbage. None of his work is available in stores, and you can only contact him through his website or Facebook. He's super nice dude.

> "That's not that uncommon in the Bay though, is it?"

Haha, quite right.
Last edited by TheTiberian at Dec 27, 2010,
Quote by TheTiberian
Fretless bass is extremely difficult. A lot of starter bassists will say "oh, it's not that hard" but really their intonation is off and they don't realize it. Much respect to Claypool, but his tone is drenched in effects and played more percussively than melodiously, so if he's out of tune you don't notice. That's not a dig on him, it's just his style. Even amazing shredders like Steve DiGiorgio will fall out of tune (watch some live videos and you'll notice). It's really almost like playing a classical instrument, and you have to treat it that way.
Everything here is entirely true, I strongly urge anybody thinking about fretless playing to start off with lines first and gradually improve intonation. It's rare for metal just because it's so hard to play fast and still keep in tune, especially with no visual reference. Although, I will say the bassist of Obscura is absolutely flawless live, but not many people play like him.
Another guy who's really impressive on fretless is Joe Lester from Intronaut. And of course Sean Malone goes without saying. I think fretless sounds amazing in the studio, or if you have a really high-end inner-ear monitor system and some say in the stage lighting. What usually ends up happening live with fretless is:
1) The lighting is dark and you can't see your damn left hand.
2) The stage monitors are garbage or non-existent, meaning you can't even really hear yourself anyway.
3) If you're singing too, it's even more of a nightmare.

So basically you're playing a highly sensitive instrument to fast and technical music whilst blind and deaf. It's tricky. In the studio or a more controlled gig situation (like if you're playing a small, well-lit jazz show at a cafe for example) fretless is godly.
Fretless bass sounds like arse anyway.

/envious
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
^http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXJ8XWiprTw
Theory disproven.
Quote by TheTiberian
The basses he built for me are hand-carved to my design, everything from the body to the neck to the slot for the (working!) antique pocket watch in the headstock.

Mr. Von Nagel, consider that idea stolen.
What happens if the battery dies?

And just for the record, Claypool doesn't play fretless all that much, and you can definitely see him being much more focused and less showy when he does play fretless.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Last edited by dead-fish at Dec 27, 2010,
"Mr. Von Nagel, consider that idea stolen.
What happens if the battery dies?"

No battery! I have to wind the watch. Usually I'm lazy and don't bother though.

"I actually bought a fretless bass (fender jazz fretless) two weeks ago, awesome stuff!"

Congrats! They're a joy to play once you get it down. You can be much more emotive, and slides just sound incredible.
Quote by Steve08
Everything here is entirely true, I strongly urge anybody thinking about fretless playing to start off with lines first and gradually improve intonation. It's rare for metal just because it's so hard to play fast and still keep in tune, especially with no visual reference. Although, I will say the bassist of Obscura is absolutely flawless live, but not many people play like him.

Aye, I just wondered cause I just heard Teratism's newest record, and absolutely fell in LOVE with the writhing fretless bass lines. They're great.
Quote by TheTiberian
I've never played a fanned guitar, but I would assume the learning curve would be a bit higher than on bass, since guitar is so chord-dependent, you'd have to tweak all your fingering. But once you get it down it should feel very natural. Though honestly there's no real point to a fanned guitar unless you're going with extended ranges though, say 7 or 8 strings like Ihsahn or Meshuggah.

On average, Greg's instruments range from $1,500 to $3,500, which sounds expensive, but is much more affordable than an equivalent instrument by Alembic, Ritter, or any other custom builder. He builds EVERYTHING completely custom to spec. The basses he built for me are hand-carved to my design, everything from the body to the neck to the slot for the (working!) antique pocket watch in the headstock. There's no assembly line, it's just one genius luthier in his garbage. None of his work is available in stores, and you can only contact him through his website or Facebook. He's super nice dude.

Wow, epic response man. I probably wouldn't ever get a fanned guitar, cause I'm not really into 7 strings, let alone 8. But, I'm seriously considering getting a fretless Schechter Stiletto [with lines of course, so I don't completely **** it up]. About all the lighting/live issues too, I'd probably just use that at home when recording solo stuff, not necessarily live.

But yeah, I agree, it can sound much more dynamic, emotive, and the slides are amazing. I always wanted to try it with Black metal [and just anything I would write], but didn't know how it'd sound with BM until I heard Teratism's new record, and it sold me. xD
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
It's a bit of a cheesy album in some ways, and not quite black metal proper (think Enslaved or Arcturus), but try out Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur. Nice blackened metal fretless bass playing there.

I think the new Ihsahn album has some juicy fretless too, but I haven't heard it in a while. But again, it's on the cusp of black metal but not quite.
Quote by Keth
Black metal with fretless bass? I need to hear that :O

Well then. Teratism - Via Negativa is right up your alley. Probably would be up yours as well, Arthur good ser.

And I'd recommend others, but so far, I've only heard that album from them.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
i definitely need to get my hands on some fretless bass bm pronto ahha

Sumdeus
I checked out Teratism, very cool stuff. Thank you for the recommendation.

Here's another tutorial video I made demonstrating the intro to Hanging Gardens on bass. I believe at least one of our guitarists was interested in filming some how-to videos as well.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vldENj7NQH0

I believe the unsigned band contest has ended and U-G will be making an official announcement soon.
My god man, so many instruments on your wall... And beast playing.

Also, those two unreleased songs up on YT have names? and if so, will we find out when the new record is released, probably?
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
<3 Cormorant. So stoked that yay arean locals make such fantastic music. Are you playing any shows in the coming months?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Burning_Angel
My god man, so many instruments on your wall... And beast playing.

Also, those two unreleased songs up on YT have names? and if so, will we find out when the new record is released, probably?

I WISH that was my wall. What you're seeing in the background is Greg's inventory in his living room. Glad you liked the video!

I'm not revealing any track names yet since I'm still working on lyrics and we're still arranging everything. My "vocals" in those videos are just incoherent harsh ramblings to test out placement and flow. We like to write in front of an audience.

New record should be out by the end of the summer of everything goes smoothly, autumn at the latest. We're entering the studio in April-ish.
Quote by darkstar2466
<3 Cormorant. So stoked that yay arean locals make such fantastic music. Are you playing any shows in the coming months?

Hey cool, another northy! Thanks for the kind words. We're holed up in our little rehearsal studio writing the next album right now, so no shows for a while unfortunately. If you're looking for any good local shows though, may I suggest Grayceon's CD release party at Bottom of the Hill next month? Love them, nicest people too.
arthur i hate to pester you but i messaged you on fb a while back with an idea for a split and i was just wondering if you just didn't get around to replying or if you guys are simply not interested at all. hate to feel like a bother but i'm just genuinely curious, it'd be completely understandable if you guys have no interest in such a thing at all though

Sumdeus
Oh shoot, I'm sorry! That's right you messaged me right after Christmas and I got extremely busy and it slipped my mind. My apologies. Your demo materials sound great! I'm listening to As Cthulhu Slumbers right now. Really somber top-notch melodic riffing. In regards to splits in general though, I can't speak for the band, but I think we're really more focused on full album releases at this point. Physically releasing an album is extremely expensive, so we're being pretty conservative with what we put out there. But I'm excited to hear what you come up with in the future, since you're million times more talented musically than I was at your age.

Keep at it and keep me posted.
Wow thanks so much, I had assumed you gave it a listen, thought it was amateur crap and forgot about it haha, it really means a lot that you see like it though. I can understand your point though, a split would not be nearly as beneficial as a full-length in the end considering the resources that would be spent on it. maybe one day, though by the time I'll be able to have the funds for such a project you guys will probably be busy with world tours if all goes well

Sumdeus
For real though, start saving for studio time (or better yet, building your own studio). Keep working at it and you'll release something great. Do you have a proper band put together? I've found I improve the most from playing with others.
nah, I haven't been able to find anyone in my area who is proficient at their instrument and has good taste too. Usually the people who have good taste in metal here don't really care that much about making music and the people who do usually aren't that good and listen to very entry-level stuff.

Sumdeus
Oh man, the art she makes looks so gorgeous...

By the way Arthur, could you help me fix my fretless tone?
I got a Squier fretless jazz bass, running through a craptastic ~20 dollar worth amp, and I'm trying to make the best out of it. I got a recording up on my profile with my fretless, called Innate.
Quote by TheTiberian
I WISH that was my wall. What you're seeing in the background is Greg's inventory in his living room. Glad you liked the video!

I'm not revealing any track names yet since I'm still working on lyrics and we're still arranging everything. My "vocals" in those videos are just incoherent harsh ramblings to test out placement and flow. We like to write in front of an audience.

New record should be out by the end of the summer of everything goes smoothly, autumn at the latest. We're entering the studio in April-ish.

Any plans on having another package deal with the release of this record?
Quote by Shabadoo
Any plans on having another package deal with the release of this record?

Not to steal the question from him, but yeah, there are. And apparently there's some special bonus planned that they're not releasing details for.
I pretty much shat my pants at the artwork. So gorgeous...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Scourge441
Not to steal the question from him, but yeah, there are. And apparently there's some special bonus planned that they're not releasing details for.

This delights me, I'll be picking that up for sure.
Arthur, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you guys?