Okay well yesterday my band played this gig and me and the other guitarist couldn't get a really heavy sound out of the amps because...well...they we're cheap, lots of wattage but..you know. They weren't really made for metal, even though they had lots of gain too. The tone was just horrible.

Point is, the only really heavy setting we could get was by using the noob setting of 10 bass and treble, and 0 on mids. But the band playing after us was a regular rock band, and we we're a deathcore band. Anyway, the guitarist using my amp looked at the EQ settings as I was unplugging and saying.. " heh figures ". Then proceeded to up the mids.

But the funniest part was, their tone was SO BAD. The crowd was cringing cause his guitar was louder than everything but the singer, and he had NO IDEA, he thought the crowd loved them. Yet he still had the audacity to down me on our " n00b " EQ'ing after the show. I walked away laughing obviously, but..

Anyone think people sometimes take elitism to a whole new level? Does it make them feel special or something to be a douche for no reason? Why can't they just keep the comments to themselves?

Discuss.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

Quote by shakin'cakes
The crowd was cringing cause his guitar was louder than everything but the singer, and he had NO IDEA, he thought the crowd loved them.

Maybe the levels sounded fine in the monitors?
ok when hes no looking turn up his mids and turn him down a little, also if he likes it loud like that, make his amp face that wall if its a solid one, im not kidding i do it sometimes when theres volume problems at the venue.
well, he probably looks down on deathcore bands, seeing his reaction, and hes in a standard rock band, granted, in all the groups I've jammed with, none of them were even metal, but I still appreciate death metal, but he's probably just a jerk anyways, that's like the only real good setting you could have on your amp for that music anyways(deathcore, I mean) if I'm not mistakin, am I not?
Quote by shakin'cakes
Point is, the only really heavy setting we could get was by using the noob setting of 10 bass and treble, and 0 on mids.

SCOOPING MIDS?!?!?!?!?!?

edit: scooping mids is for n00bs who can't get a heavy tone with mids. Bass gives you low end, treble gives you high end, but mids give you the clarity of the note/chord you're playing and helps you cut through the mix WITHOUT having to turn yourself up louder.
Last edited by FireandFlames at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by FireandFlames
SCOOPING MIDS?!?!?!?!?!?

edit: scooping mids is for n00bs who can't get a heavy tone with mids. Bass gives you low end, treble gives you high end, but mids give you the clarity of the note/chord you're playing and helps you cut through the mix WITHOUT having to turn yourself up louder.

Don't you think I know that?
The mids sounded like ass I meant. That's why we turned them down. The treble was a bit too much cringy, but when we turned it down, the bass became too loose if you know what I mean. There was no in between. In general the amps sucked.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

Quote by FireandFlames
SCOOPING MIDS?!?!?!?!?!?

The point of this thread was to discuss elitism.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by shakin'cakes
Don't you think I know that?
The mids sounded like ass I meant. That's why we turned them down. The treble was a bit too much cringy, but when we turned it down, the bass became too loose if you know what I mean. There was no in between. In general the amps sucked.

Oh, I see.

You couldn't bring your own amps?
Quote by MustangMan311
So, my question: Why the **** were you playing with them if you're a deathcore band?

We really didn't have a choice, the club we played at had already booked them and we really needed a place to play. So they booked us with them.

Edit:

Quote by FireandFlames
Oh, I see.

You couldn't bring your own amps?

Nope, woulda been too much trouble of switching around for the club they said
Quote by buddha

What kind of amp was it?
Quote by imgooley
What kind of amp was it?

Not sure, but I think it was one of those hybrid " Fake tube " amps or something. Forgot the brand name. Fame? Maybe that was it not sure..

I tried everything I could during sound check but it didn't work.
Quote by buddha

Quote by shakin'cakes
Not sure, but I think it was one of those hybrid " Fake tube " amps or something. Forgot the brand name. Fame? Maybe that was it not sure..

I tried everything I could during sound check but it didn't work.

You obviously didn't try everything. And you can't really complain about their sound being cringworthy after what you said you did.
Quote by Retro Rocker
You obviously didn't try everything. And you can't really complain about their sound being cringworthy after what you said you did.

I tried all I could with the mids, it just sounded horrible. And our sound wasn't cring worthy, it just didn't sound as good as it could have with mids but the amps mids just sounded like ass.

And P.S., this thread was about elitism not amp settings.
Quote by buddha