Ok so let me just fill everybody in on my history here.

My first guitar experience was learning acoustic from some crappy teacher that was hired by my old private school. Didn't return after that. However I messed around with my acoustic (classical) guitar on and off through the years. About little over a year ago my dad (who has played acoustic classical for many years) started teaching me some basics as I was/am old enough to take learning and staying dedicated to guitar seriously (15).

First thing he did was teach me some chords. I know e major, a minor, d and f major, an c major I believe (bit iffy on names of the chords). If I misnamed any, know that all the chords I know are ones used in the song House of the Rising Sun.

Got my first electric guitar earlier this month. I got a B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock. After some shameful attempts lol here's what I can roughly play or play parts of right now: (also I realize a lot of it is power rangers stuff but that's only because for the most part it's extremely easy to learn by ear and is kind of repetitive.)

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers theme song (I have to accomodate to the tapping part at the beginning though. Buddy of mine says a have to loosen up the bridge of my guitar so I can tap easier)

Power Rangers Gold Ranger theme

Power Rangers Green Ranger theme

House of the Rising Sun (although I have an issue of constantly forgetting which chords to play in what order :S)

First little bit of The Final Countdown

Halo Theme (Again only bits and parts)

Star Spangled Banner

First bit of the Enter the Dragon theme

-

That's all that comes to mind right now.

I really would like to learn how to play a FULL song easily. What would be a good beginner song to learn essential chords? I know a few already but it won't hurt to learn more.

Also new to tabs. Can somebody explain to me how to read them?

Thanks in advance.
Tabs are simply read as if you were looking at your guitar from above on the fingerboard.

e-----
B-----
G-----
D-----
A-----
E-----

When there is a number on that string you play that fret.

e-----
B-----
G-----
D-----
A-----
E--3--

So you would have played the third fret on that low E string. Chords are written in the same way.

e-----
B-----
G---4--
D---4--
A---2--
E-----

A5 chord. My mistake, B5
I hate people. Especially black people.
my teacher taught me You've got to hide your love away by the beatles, and like a rolling stone by bob dylan.
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
I started learning guitar 2 and a half months ago, and I'm focusing on theory rather than songs at the moment. I'd recommend learning your scales and where your notes are before diving straight into songs. Once you figure out what you are actually doing, playing sogs get's easier.
Set-Up:
- Ibanez RGA42FM
- Epiphone Les Paul Special II
- Crate 15W Amp
- Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
- Line 6 Pocket Pod

- Peavey International II Drum Set (Cherry Red)
- Zildjian Cymbals
- Evans Heads with Remo E-Rings
O_O Lolwut?

Some easy songs...

Acoustic.
Horse with no name by America
Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Brown eyed girl by Van Morrison
Wonderwall by Oasis
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something
Wish you were here by Pink Floyd
Hurt by Johnny Cash
Behind blue eyes by the Who
Learn some **** by CCR as well.
Tribute by Tenacious D

That should cover most open position chords and keep you busy for a week or two.

For electric, if you wanna be lazy, learn soem power chords D: . If you wanna be good, put in hours and hours of practise.

Nirvana and Greenday are pretty much all power chords so they're easy enough to play.

And for tab, you just play what you see. I'd recommend learning to read sheet music as well.
Quote by gallagher2006
I finger my asshole for the lulz
Quote by Ryan14
I started learning guitar 2 and a half months ago, and I'm focusing on theory rather than songs at the moment. I'd recommend learning your scales and where your notes are before diving straight into songs. Once you figure out what you are actually doing, playing sogs get's easier.

You better mix up some theory and some songs in my opinion.

My first song was Enter Sandman. American Jesus by Bad Religion is a good starter too.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Hey thnx for the advice everybody. I have the option of getting lessons from this guy over at my local guitar place too. It's like twice a week.

Gonna see if I can test out some tabs right now.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Also just want to say I'm happy that these are the kind of boards that give quick replies lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by QuebecMetal
You better mix up some theory and some songs in my opinion.

My first song was Enter Sandman. American Jesus by Bad Religion is a good starter too.

Oh I'm mixing in songs too. I'm playing Highway to Hell and some other ACDC songs.
Set-Up:
- Ibanez RGA42FM
- Epiphone Les Paul Special II
- Crate 15W Amp
- Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
- Line 6 Pocket Pod

- Peavey International II Drum Set (Cherry Red)
- Zildjian Cymbals
- Evans Heads with Remo E-Rings
Hey guys I just learned my first song using tabs....ANYONE ELSE BUT YOU by the Moldy Peaches. lol. Yes I hang my head in shame but it seemed really easy and learned another two chords in the process.

Thnx everybody. Deepest gratitude.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Hey guys I just learned my first song using tabs....ANYONE ELSE BUT YOU by the Moldy Peaches. lol. Yes I hang my head in shame but it seemed really easy and learned another two chords in the process.

Thnx everybody. Deepest gratitude.

Congrats on the new guitar!

Never apologize for what you play. It's a step twards becoming better, and that's hardly somthing to be ashamed of!

Frankly, I find open chords tend to be ill-suited to electric (at least first learning). The open strings tend to make a lot of excess noise when you strum. That's not to discourage you from learning them, they're certainly essential. I'd look into learning major (barre) chords. They sound great on electric and give you some fun tones to play with.

+1 to everyone who suggested scales. I'd suggest learning your major and minor pentatonic, and the blues scale to start out. That combination can give you some really cool riffs and are essential backbones to rock and metal.

Best of luck, hope that helped
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play