so i was just taught a pentonic scale today by some guy in music shop and just wanted to know were it could be used. he aid i could use it in any song to add some difference and stuff. can anyone tell me anything about this ones and is there a minor as well
They can be used pretty much in any form of music. And yes there is a pentatonic minor scale.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
You can use it wherever you see fit. One song that I know of that uses it is the solo in Sir Duke.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
rofl, "add difference" it is the most used scale in the whole entire world. (including native and folk musics)
penTAtonic.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
If you listen to "rock and roll" in The Song Remains The Same, JPJ seems to do a little penatonic scale at the end of the verse...
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Quote by fatgoogle
so i was just taught a pentonic scale today by some guy in music shop and just wanted to know were it could be used. he aid i could use it in any song to add some difference and stuff. can anyone tell me anything about this ones and is there a minor as well

Geezer Butler has to be the biggest pentatonic ***** ever. I'm not saying that in a bad way, just trying to emphasize how much the pentatonic scale shows up in his playing.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Want to learn your pentatonic scale to the point where you know it in your sleep? Play the bass line for Low Rider week after week for two months at least 2x a set. The whole bass line is just a pentatonic run over and over again. Yes, I can die a happy woman if I don't ever have to play that song again.

On a more serious note, check out some of Cream's more blues-y stuff. And Albert King's, "Born Under A Bad Sign" is another song that is basic variations on the pentatonic scale.
there are tons of pentatonic scales. Major and minor are the most used, but there are a lot that can be used to make a tune sound oriental, middle eastern etc. I did a study on them last year and found some pretty cool stuff. the pelog and hirojoshi (spelling?) pentatonics are the two that i use the most... other than major and minor of course haha.
Just don't become someone who can't put something together without first consulting a scale or something. Don't let scales make you use your mind more than you heart/ears when you play. I dunno, guess I'm sounding dramatic.
learn the pentatonic major and minor and you can use them pretty much anywhere
The pentatonic scale has saved my ass in more jamming situations than I can count. It's good to know, and it's also a good foundation if you plan on expanding your knowledge of music theory.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.