http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAtk6moKtw&NR=1

I've been playing for about a year, so of course I don't expect to be a proficient player. In fact I don't even think of myself as a decent guitarist but I guess you all can be the judges of that

Anyway, I started playing guitar later than most at 17... and any time I'm at a school concert or anything there are always guitarists my age, or younger, that imho aren't amazing but they sure as hell are way better than me... It can just be a little discouraging sometimes

Anybody else feel like this?
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Yeah sometimes I feel like that. But the most important thing is to not see guitar as a competition on who's better, just enjoy it. Focus on learning your favourite songs or even better, writing them. If you keep up at a steady pace you'll be as good as those guys if not better too.
toha +1
I'm not a great guitarist. I could probably be in a band but focusing on what I want to know is more important than what other people know. I'm pleased with my playing but I always want to improve. To me playing is like a collection. Every time I gain a new skill it's like I add that to my collection. So have fun and don't get sad or angry because you can't play like that.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
That guy has been playing since he was five. I felt that way when I started, so it's not just you man.
Quote by \Powerslave/
That guy has been playing since he was five. I felt that way when I started, so it's not just you man.

He also knew theory in the whom.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
He also knew theory in the whom.

Actually, Jason knows very little theory.
Quote by SOADwannabe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAtk6moKtw&NR=1

I've been playing for about a year, so of course I don't expect to be a proficient player. In fact I don't even think of myself as a decent guitarist but I guess you all can be the judges of that

Anyway, I started playing guitar later than most at 17... and any time I'm at a school concert or anything there are always guitarists my age, or younger, that imho aren't amazing but they sure as hell are way better than me... It can just be a little discouraging sometimes

Anybody else feel like this?

I don't really look at it from a discouraging view, it just makes me wish my parents gave me a guitar when i was 2 seconds old
Quote by The Minorthreat
Shame on you.

Does anyone have tabs for the song "Blue" by Jason Becker?
Quote by Zofar
Actually, Jason knows very little theory.

really? from his instructional videos and clinics i got the impression he knew a nice bit of theory.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I would assume Jason knows at least a little bit of theory considering the amount of music he composes...
Bought for a few pennies
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Quote by ironman1478
it sucks he became paralyzed, he definitely amazing at guitar

i bet he would give up being badass at the guitar for at least been able to play like a noob
Only because my brother is a brilliant guitarist who has been playing for nine years, and I've only got a year and a half worth of experience.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
I'm 23 now and started playing when I was 14. However, I didn't take it as seriously or practice as much as I should've. I got okay at it, but then I'd go through long periods of not playing. Especially during college, I hardly played. I'm fighting the same thing now during law school but making more of an effort to play at least a little every day.

So, I definitely know how you feel. After so much off-periods and wasting time, I'm probably playing with the skill level of just about a year. (An underestimate maybe, but that's how it feels. )

Just gotta keep practicing I suppose.
Quote by Waterboy799
really? from his instructional videos and clinics i got the impression he knew a nice bit of theory.

same here
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Waterboy799

He knows the names of the notes and stuff like that, but he said in an interview once that he doesn't actually know any scales whatsoever. he would just play by ear basically.
Quote by Zofar
He knows the names of the notes and stuff like that, but he said in an interview once that he doesn't actually know any scales whatsoever. he would just play by ear basically.

that's pretty impressive considering the technical complexity of his music.

interesting to know
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
if the song in your pro is indeed you, i would much rather listen to that than anything ywingie(sp?) has written. music with feel> technical capability. just b/c he can play fast doesnt means hes good.

but whenever i get discouraged i have myself a nice little jam session=] or listen to some roger clyne and the peacemakers (look him up. lol)
Quote by moonhawk
if the song in your pro is indeed you, i would much rather listen to that than anything ywingie(sp?) has written. music with feel> technical capability. just b/c he can play fast doesnt means hes good.

but whenever i get discouraged i have myself a nice little jam session=] or listen to some roger clyne and the peacemakers (look him up. lol)

Yep that's me

I would still love to be able to shred though, I believe there is feeling in shred.
(I might be opening a can of worms with that statement...)
Bought for a few pennies
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Quote by moonhawk

He is one of the most inspirational guitarists I've ever seen, take some time to actually research him before you say his music has no feel.
I aspire to be better, but I haven't seriously sat down and practiced for the past 2 months. It's terrible. I feel guilty...
There is no way Jason is composing music without playing an instrument, yet doesn't know theory. Silly gooses. Even if he was never taught theory, he had what, 20 years of playing? Obviously after all that time he was putting together in his own mind what sounded right together and what didn't. That's how most guitarists are.
Quote by \Powerslave/
He is one of the most inspirational guitarists I've ever seen, take some time to actually research him before you say his music has no feel.

everyones entitled to there own oppinion =)