Page 1 of 3
ok so today i walked into the sam ash. i sit down and want to get a new addition to my guitar collection. i decide, you know what, PRS, i hear alot of good things about them. so i take a PRS SE Singlecut down. then i play some licks of various generes. metal, blues, classic rock, jazz. I DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. the "tone" was not nearly as good as what i have read about or heard about in the shops. i ended up going home with an ibanez prestige (i love it, get one, NOW). so is PRS overrated? did i get a defected guitar? i played this out of a serious amp, h&K, brand new. so i know it wasnt the amp. what is your insite?
Are you serious? You played a $500 Korean-made PRS so now the entire brand is "overrated?"
Hi, I'm Peter
uh
no. I think they're amazing instruments.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
The SE series are substandard for their price.

The real PRS guitars are godly, but their price is huge.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
play a REAL prs, not an se, then revise your statement.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
PRS SE = ok medium budget guitar. quite nice, not great but ok
PRS standard = worth every penny. I'm currently saving for one over the gibson, fender, and fernandes i was originally considering.

So, yes you are crazy, for making judgements of a very respectable brand based on their SE model.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
NO comparison between SE and the regular line.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
PRS isnt over rated Gibson is though, dont get me wrong they are wonderful instruments but everyone is like Gibson, Gibson, Gibson!
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
song stuck in my head today

as mentioned, the SE series models I have played and owned were absolutely junk for the money, the real deal PRS' are great but still a little steeply priced in my opinion
I've played a real PRS before and I will say that it was not my cup of tea, (The neck and body size just weren't what I'm used to) however the guitar itself was a fantastically crafted superior quality instrument.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by lbc_sublime

ALL of these are sugnificanitly overpriced. for thousands of dollars? i dont think so. to me PRS will not become respected by me untill they become more resonable with the prices, sure they will be made by hand and all that **** but comon, its a guitar. and for me and many other guitarists, i have rent to pay. to me schecter, ibanez, and ESP are the top but that just may be because of my type of music
Quote by surge666
ALL of these are sugnificanitly overpriced. for thousands of dollars? i dont think so. to me PRS will not become respected by me untill they become more resonable with the prices, sure they will be made by hand and all that **** but comon, its a guitar. and for me and many other guitarists, i have rent to pay. to me schecter, ibanez, and ESP are the top but that just may be because of my type of music

Less money= less quality

if you want **** guitars, spend less money on guitars
I don't even shred
Here's a fun fact....

That $3000 PRS you consider over-priced will never lose its value. Your Ibanez and Schecters will drop like a rock. Play what you can afford thats cool I'm not knocking you down, some deals are better then others but in the end you get what you paid for.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
It depends on the model, as others stated.

Personally, for a guitar that you play all the time, I think they're incredibly overrated. I'm not interested in collecting, hence why I'm not keeping mine. It's good, but I know I can find better.

A well-above-average guitar? Definitely. A player's guitar that is worth $3000? No way.

^surge666, PRS is not made entirely by hand anymore. IIRC, it's mostly the finishes that are still done by hand. I don't remember as to which parts of the assembly are done by hand.
You are serious?

That's like ESP sucks because the LTD MH-50 is decent.

That's just NO.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I agree!

3000 dollars is an absurd price for a guitar

You could go so much cheaper by finding a guitar that plays just right, has the tonewoods you want and the pickups you want for so much less. With anything like this though you're paying for the name.
now that i think about it, this is being compleatly honest, this isnt just to stop the slew of insults (not realy). but high end guitars are investments so i guess ill let them stay at that because investments are for people with money (which i have none so feel free to make donations). but to be compleatly honest here, 100% honest. if we were to strictly talk sound. take different pickups, bridge, nut, tuners, whatever, you can get the same sound. so maby my guitars will lose value, but i still will play them for the sound. maby im just saying this becuase i cant afford the real deal, the best guitar i have now is my prestige. i like to have a lot of guitars so i can have alot of different sounds. maby im a ****in retard, or maby youll know my name in a few years, but one things for sure, a guitar is a guitar no matter what you do to it so lets let guitarists be guitarists (thats not even relivent)
Quote by surge666
i take a PRS SE Singlecut down. then i play some licks of various generes. metal, blues, classic rock, jazz. I DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. the "tone" was not nearly as good as what i have read about or heard about in the shops. i ended up going home with an ibanez prestige

It could only be funnier if you said "the Squier Strat didn't feel all that good, so I ended up plonking for the JEM".
i own a PRS SE singlecut... and maybe the tone is not the great compared to 1000+ dollar guitars... but for 500 the feel of it is amazing... but a pickup switch is def needed...

and as said many times above DO NOT COMPARE A SE WITH A REAL PRS ... "SE" stands for students edition... so theres no need for a pro like factory setup
I dig the bird inlays... look pretty cool. Not 4 grand cool, though.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by surge666

We live in a country with a mostly capitalist economy, meaning generally speaking things are worth what people will pay for them. Guitars are commodities. Like cars, sometimes the exclusivity is part of the attraction. There's a guy on this site (who I haven't seen in a while) who has 2 guitars that are worth almost $10,000 each, not to mention several other guitars worth thousands each. Just because you personally can't afford something or don't want to pay that much for it doesn't mean it's overpriced.
Hi, I'm Peter
PRS's price margins are huge - the guitars cost about $1500 to make and they amp them up to $5000. Ridiculous.

I don't see why dragon inlays should add $1000 to the price of my guitar - nor do I see why they don't offer ebony fingerboarding. As well the neck heel on all the PRSes I've seen is humongous.

Seriously, one could acquire the same quality for much less cost. The fact that the value plummets should mean nothing to a guitarist who only seeks tone rather than cash.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
PRS's price margins are huge - the guitars cost about $1500 to make and they amp them up to $5000. Ridiculous.

Too bad the actual cost of the guitar to make isn't the only thing that goes into the price of a guitar.
I don't see why dragon inlays should add $1000 to the price of my guitar - nor do I see why they don't offer ebony fingerboarding. As well the neck heel on all the PRSes I've seen is humongous.

OK, so if you don't like PRS guitars, don't buy one. They can't cater to everyone, but obviously they can cater to a large enough portion of the market so they move inventory and make a profit.
Seriously, one could acquire the same quality for much less cost. The fact that the value plummets should mean nothing to a guitarist who only seeks tone rather than cash.

People buy guitars for all sorts of reasons, including as collectors who aren't necessarily going to play them a whole lot.
Hi, I'm Peter
You are crazy. If you actually play an instrument that PRS is famous for, namely anything made in the Maryland factory, you would instantly realize that they are incredible guitars. I played Paul's '53 Les Paul and then a prototype PRS he had just finished and the prototype played way better than that LP. Any guitar that plays better than a '53 Les Paul must have something to it.
edit: And to the price gouging remarks, I think that PRS is entirely justified in charging the prices he does. He modeled his business after Ted McCarty's Gibson which works great. Not only are PRS guitars comparably priced to many Gibson guitars, but PRS produces guitars with consistent quality well above that of Gibson USA and as good as if not better than Gibson Custom Shop. The only difference is that when you pay your $2000 for your PRS, that money goes to pay for the health care and reasonable wages of the employees who built that guitar. When you pay your $2000 for you LP, your money goes to buy a new Mercedes for some exec.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Last edited by RHCPfan01 at Apr 26, 2008,
Yea its quite funny that some will bitch about paying $3000 for a PRS which will be top notch quality and not a single thing wrong with it yet people seem alright paying $2500 for an LP with Gibsons quality issues. Go figure. Just like $150 Squiers have a place in the marketplace so do PRS guitars. Them being around for so many years says something about them.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by surge666

It may not be your type of music but that doesn't mean it's overrated you stupid asshole.

And ponder this: Some people actually get these things, they're called jobs. These jobs bring a steady source of income. Now, considering the person with said job isn't a dip**** and knows how to save money, within a few months, that person will be able to buy a $3000 PRS, which will over the years gain more and more value, while NOT falling apart like most Ibanez or Schecters will after 10 or so years.
Dickless.
they have mahogany necks and bodies and are thinner than LPs.

their 'prs designed' stuff is top quality on the cheap SEs.

I have the semi-hollow and it's a pretty solid guitar.

it's not rocket science on how you think they will sound.
SRV R.I.P.
i dont think PRSs are all that. I would rather get a carvin ct which is much better priced.
I'm not a huge fan of PRS to be honest. That includes the super-high end models. The pickups just sound generic to me, probably since everyone and their brothers either owns one/thinks they are the ****.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

And ponder this: Some people actually get these things, they're called jobs. These jobs bring a steady source of income. Now, considering the person with said job isn't a dip**** and knows how to save money, within a few months, that person will be able to buy a $3000 PRS, which will over the years gain more and more value, while NOT falling apart like most Ibanez or Schecters will after 10 or so years.

how about you ponder upon this, i have to work, i have to pay rent, and i dont live in my moms basement so i have alot of **** to pay for. when did this turn into insulting one another? i am a guitarist talking to guitarists in a civil manner, if this is to much for you, get off the internet, please. and i play what i can afford, not what my daddy buys for me
The upper end PRS are great guitars, play well, fast necks, high quality and are beautiful. Are they "worth" a few grand? Maybe not, but to me, neither are Les Pauls. Personal preference.

To me, LPs are very cool, beautiful, great tones, but I hold one and it doesnt' feel right to me. It's like holding a big, blocky, heavy boat anchor with a baseball bat sticking out the end. A lot of people love that, I don't. I pick up a strat or strat type guitar that's contoured, larger radius neck, etc. and that's what feels good to me and makes me play better. That doesn't mean LPs suck, it means that's not the one that I can play my best on, so I don't bother with them.

All that matters is ...
- if it feels, plays and sounds good to you (and hopefully people that hear you)
- it inspires you to play more and play better
- high quality that you can see and appreciate
- you can afford it
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
i've yet to play a PRS i like.

and yes.. i've tried the "real" PRSs. i just don't like them!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Id love to see the actual cost of putting together a PRS before it gets put up for sale. I'm sure we'd be shocked to find its only a fraction of the retail price they slap on it.
If you by a PRS (not an SE), your making an Investment. Just like the good old days when that kid saved and saved and finally bought himself a Gibson...back in 1959. Now how much do you think that is worth? You buy a PRS and in 50 years, it could be one of the most sought after guitars in the world. That or it raises in value considerably, but not like a Gibson. Anyway you slice it, it will raise its value, and be an awesome instrument.
At least one person on this forum will think something is over-rated that other people think is great. That goes for everything, not just guitars. Some people think LP's are over-rated, some people swear by them, and nothing else, ever. Some people think Ibanez is totally gay and should die, some people love them.

So I guess PRS may be over-rated, and you may be crazy, depends on who you talk to.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I picked up an SE Standard for $205CAD today.

Great guitar.

(I've owned: Epi G-400, Epi LP Custom, Jay Turser LP Studio knockoff, Ibanez RG3XX, Ibanez AFS75T, and an Epi LP Junior)
Quote by Dirk Gently
We live in a country with a mostly capitalist economy, meaning generally speaking things are worth what people will pay for them. Guitars are commodities. Like cars, sometimes the exclusivity is part of the attraction. There's a guy on this site (who I haven't seen in a while) who has 2 guitars that are worth almost $10,000 each, not to mention several other guitars worth thousands each. Just because you personally can't afford something or don't want to pay that much for it doesn't mean it's overpriced.
im sorry but i greatly disagree with this statement. in general there are some products that are worth their price but for the most part thats not always the case in our society. for example; you can buy a plain black t shirt from a company called CA for $10-$15 that was made in a sweat shop in china, throw a small ambercrombie logo on the top left corner then you're paying $40-45 for a t shirt thats the same quality as the shirt from CA, just because of the brand. is it so impossible to believe that the same thing happens in the world of guitars? but at the same time it depends on the person, maybe you're the guy who likes to say "hey man i just picked up a new guitar and its sounds great, great tone and everything" or maybe you're the guy who likes to say "hey man i just picked up this guitar, it will fit nicely in my glass display collection and its value is going to greatly increase in the next 5-10 years".
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Page 1 of 3