And my epiphone les paul doesn't have that thing that's like a big screw at the head of my guitar (like strats generally do) [sry, forgot the name of it]

what can i do to remedy the problem? Or am i doomed to have someone else repair it?
your truss rod? It should be there, under a cover or something, double check.

Edit: 2nd thought, just take it to a guitar shop and see if they can repair it for you, I don't know how much you know about fixing your guitar, but this is something you do not want to mess up.
its under a plastic cover.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
if it's warped, that sucks man. The truss rod should be under the plastic cover behind the nut of your LP, and if it doesn't have one, that's your reason for having a bent neck.
of course it has one.

dont adjust it without first measuring ur neck's relief.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^how would i go about doing that?

^^now looking, i'm gonna assume its udner the special-II cap.
Quote by imgod22222
^how would i go about doing that?

^^now looking, i'm gonna assume its udner the special-II cap.

it is under the cap.

adjust action at the bridge, not with the truss rod nut.

know that if you turn the truss rod nut too much you'll break ur guitar.

and just so you learn how to check ill explain what you're looking for...

fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets. 7-9th.

if you can fit more than a credit card in that space then your neck has a lot of bend.
if the string lays on the fretwire there, then you dont have enough bend.

keep in mind that a lower end epi guitar will need a little more bend to compensate for any uneven, crooked frets. and that low action, with no fret buzz might not be possible with that guitar.

if you adjusted the action at the bridge by turning the bridge posts.
and you think you would also like to adjust the neck, and can see that it needs it, then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well, after some looking at, i've located the truss rod, decided that yes, it is in fact NOT straight, and the action doesn't need to be adjusted. It has too much bend. How do i adjust it?

There doesn't seem to be a screwhead like I was expecting to see...
yeah, kyle62 knows what hes talking about.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
... (BLEEP)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since there's a big metal cover at the bottom of my neck, I'm going to assume the adjustment for my truss rod is down there, and I don't want to ruin the guitar or the strings. =\ Guess I'll keep it how it is until it sounds like **** where then I'll take it to get repaired.

Thanks guys.
Quote by imgod22222
... (BLEEP)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since there's a big metal cover at the bottom of my neck, I'm going to assume the adjustment for my truss rod is down there, and I don't want to ruin the guitar or the strings. =\ Guess I'll keep it how it is until it sounds like **** where then I'll take it to get repaired.

Thanks guys.

the metal cover is just where the neck is bolted in to the guitar. The place where you would adjust the truss rod is under the plastic cover on the headstock.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/gucio93/dsafc.jpg

there, i circled where the place to adjust your truss rod would be.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
if you measured. and you found that you can fit more than a credit card in the space.

then get a little screw driver. take off the cover and reveal the truss rod nut.

to adjust it, you will need an allen wrench, found at a hardware store.

so, buy a multi tool, or take the guitar into the store with you. i dont remember if epi uses inches or millimeters. so, investigate, find the right tool then post again.

i dont know if you've noticed. but ive be explaining this at a snails pace.

so get the wrench, then repost. ill be paying attention to ur thread, so dont jump ahead.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah, but there isn't a allen wrench hole under that plastic cover.

I appreciate what you're doing for me, but today I don't have the time to be messing with my guitar much.

Thanks a lot.

Perhaps later this week, I may have time to do so, though. So I have one question to ask. Will I be wanting to tighten (clockwise) or loosen (counter-clockwise) if the neck has been bent by the strings' tension?

Much appreciated.
is there a bullet lug? if so then it'll be a socket wrench you're looking for.

anyway, if you find there's too much bend, you'll want to turn the nut COUNTER clockwise, but only 1/4".
that's a really small amount. you would want to turn that amount, not forcing the turn, and then leave the guitar in tune, to settle for the night. remeasuring relief in the morning.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok no problem. just repost if you run into trouble.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

this guy thought his truss rod adjustment was under the joint bolts and you guys think he should do this adjustment himself?

i mean it isnt rocket science, but ive heard of plenty of kids snapping necks and doing all sorts of retarded crap when they tried to "adjust" their trod
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
so. he can read right?

i wasnt born knowing this stuff, maybe u were. *shrug*
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

are you serious? I am by no means telling him not to learn how to setup and adjust his instrument, and i'm not telling him to do no research and just rely on the pros.

I'm assuming this is a guitar he loves, and doesnt want to ruin. In such case, I wouldnt suggest that he does his first truss rod adjustment on it. There is only so much you can learn on the net.

Take it to a pro, watch him fix it, ask questions, talk to him, get to know him, read up on it, and then next time you can do it yourself.
yeah sure. get to know him, take him to dinner. sounds good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I never touch a truss-rod on a first date.

Least they could do is buy ME dinner first...

You women... just lookin at me like some piece of meat...
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by jj1565
yeah sure. get to know him, take him to dinner. sounds good.

Gotta love losers like jj1565, just gotta love em.

Getting to know your local tech is actually really helpful...if you ever have any problems, and have a gig coming up, or need any questions answered, and you have made the effort to talk to the guy, and become friends with him, he'll hook you up.

There is usually a 2-3 week wait at our local tech, but if I need a setup before a gig or a friend of mine needs one stat before a show...he'll do it for us.
^ you can't use intelligence around these people their head will explode...

But seriously where do you think we learned how to do this kinda of stuff... from a techie whether online or at a store or from a friend who is one. we all learned it from somewhere. And learning through a techie is alot cheaper than screwing up twenty guitars.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by nvranka
Gotta love losers like jj1565, just gotta love em.

yep i'm a loser. you have no idea who i am, but you know everything, so that's fine.

you're the only one allowed to touch your truss rod, and you get to decide who is smart enough to follow a simple direction, and who isn't.

and don't give me that bullcrap that you were just telling him to get to know his tech, cause you know you weren't saying that until you were called on it.

you said, based on his original posts, he had no place adjusting for himself.

so pass your judgments and be on your way. let the rest of us save him from guys like you, dying to spend his money.

go ahead tell me again all about the last time you brought a $150 guitar in for a $30 setup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 30, 2008,