Page 1 of 2
minor scales have the majority of all the sharps and flats included in them
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Minor scales sound more sad, Major more happy.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
i used to like playing minor scales even though i found them harder haha
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by human panda
Minor , Major

fixed
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
well you see the main difference between the major and minor scales is that major is more of a happy sound and minor is more of a sad sound usually that is used in rock. If you look at the A major scale it goes A B C# D E F# G A and if you look at the A minor scale it goes A B C D E F G A. If you are a rock musician that is into iron maiden than you should know the natural minor scale but if you are into guys like Yngwie Malmsteen thatn you should know the natural minor scales, the harmonic minor scale, the phrygian scales.
Quote by Havok19
fixed

Lol
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
also the minor scale is and augmented version of the major scale right, im not sure i stated that right but what i mean is, say you have the major scale in the key of C (C D E F G A B C) its tha same as the minor scale in the key of A (A B C D E F G A) which basically means that you can learn the major scale and thusly know the minor scale in a different key
Quote by mjkshreds
If you look at the A major scale it goes A B C# D E F# G A

no, its A B C# D E F# G# A
Quote by F8iscruel
also the minor scale is and augmented version of the major scale right, im not sure i stated that right but what i mean is, say you have the major scale in the key of C (C D E F G A B C) its tha same as the minor scale in the key of A (A B C D E F G A) which basically means that you can learn the major scale and thusly know the minor scale in a different key

Punctuation is awesome!
Ignore every answer given so far.
The major scale is a scale consisting of the intervals of a root, a major second, a major third, a perfect fourth, a perfect fifth, a major sixth, and a major seventh.
The minor scale consists of a root, a major second, a minor third, a perfect fourth, a perfect fifth, a minor sixth, and a minor seventh (often raised to major)

The minor scale is not inherently any "sadder" than the major scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Apr 26, 2008,
The 3rd, 6th, and 7th scale degrees.

Quote by Archeo Avis

That's not true at all. It's a widely used interpretation which holds merit. It deis sound sadder than a major scale.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by FLUX_
Punctuation is awesome!

was that an insult im not sure
Quote by F8iscruel
was that an insult im not sure

Was that a sentence? I'm not sure.

Only kidding.
basically, minor (Aeolian) is a mode of major (ionian) if you take a major scale and flatten the 3rd, 6th, and 7th notes in the scale, it becomes a natural minor, there are 5 other modes you can use all with a different tonality, those two are the most popular
Quote by Archeo Avis
Ignore every answer given so far.
The major scale is a scale consisting of the intervals of a root, a major second, a major third, a perfect fourth, a perfect fifth, a major sixth, and a major seventh.
The minor scale consists of a root, a major seventh, a minor third, a perfect fourth, a perfect fifth, a minor sixth, and a minor seventh (often raised to major)

the minor scale is a 'sadder' scale because i uses minors and when played in a certain way they convey sadnees better than the major scale, and also you use the minor scale to form blues scale, and last time i checked blues=saddness and heart
you can play a major scale and with the right intervals it will sound sad
Quote by F8iscruel
the minor scale is a 'sadder' scale because i uses minors and when played in a certain way they convey sadnees better than the major scale, and also you use the minor scale to form blues scale, and last time i checked blues=saddness and heart

Minor intervals are not inherently "sadder" than major intervals. Who cares if the blues scale is derived from the minor scale?

basically, minor (Aeolian) is a mode of major (ionian) if you take a major scale and flatten the 3rd, 6th, and 7th notes in the scale, it becomes a natural minor, there are 5 other modes you can use all with a different tonality, those two are the most popular

Major is not a mode, and is not the same as ionian.
Minor is not a mode, and is not the same as aeolian.

Modal music predates and is distinct from key based music, and you should ignore modes completely until you have a firm grasp on the major scale and diatonic harmony. Even then, most people won't find them useful.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
there is a major blues scale too fyi, but alot of blues is written in minors so the pentatonic minor is used more commonly
Quote by Wylde14

^like he said its (Key of C)

C ionian (c d e f g a b c)
D dorian (d e f g a b c d)
E phrygian (e f g a b c d e)
F lydian (f g a b c d e f)
G mixolydian (g a b c d e f g)
A aeolian (a b c d e f g a)
B locrian (b c d e f g a b)
then it starts over an ovtave up

also theres a TON of lessons on here by this guy Slash_Pwns which clarify this for you you might want to check them out
Quote by Archeo Avis

but the ones he is talking about are, i highly doubt for some reason he learnt the mixolydian scale instead of ionian.
Quote by F8iscruel
^like he said its (Key of C)

C ionian (c d e f g a b c)
D dorian (d e f g a b c d)
E phrygian (e f g a b c d e)
F lydian (f g a b c d e f)
G mixolydian (g a b c d e f g)
A aeolian (a b c d e f g a)
B locrian (b c d e f g a b)
then it starts over an ovtave up

also theres a TON of lessons on here by this guy Slash_Pwns which clarify this for you you might want to check them out

If you're in the key of C, you play C major and modes don't factor into it at all. Don't bother with modes, they won't help you until you have a firm grasp on the theory behind the major scale.

but the ones he is talking about are

No, they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Minor intervals are not inherently "sadder" than major intervals. Who cares if the blues scale is derived from the minor scale?

Modal music predates and is distinct from key based music, and you should ignore modes completely until you have a firm grasp on the major scale and diatonic harmony. Even then, most people won't find them useful.

um they are the exact same as Ionian (major) and aeolian (minor) you should get it right
no because there are other minor and major modes

Ionian Lydan Mixolydian are major
Aeolian Dorian Phrygian are minor
locrian is diminished i think?
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you're in the key of C, you play C major and modes don't factor into it at all. Don't bother with modes, they won't help you until you have a firm grasp on the theory behind the major scale.

No, they aren't.

do you just like contradicting people lol , just asking
um they are the exact same as Ionian (major) and aeolian (minor) you should get it right

Good God.
Modal music is not the same as key based music. The terms "major scale" and "ionian" are not interchangeable.

do you just like contradicting people lol , just asking

When they insist on hindering the development of beginners by presenting them with false information, yes.
also how do you know what this guy's asking about do you speak for him, you cna just go around telling people that someone esle is talking about something entirly different, you cant speak for antoher person... unless... youre a communist AHHHH....
Quote by F8iscruel
also how do you know what this guy's asking about do you speak for him, you cna just go around telling people that someone esle is talking about something entirly different, you cant speak for antoher person... unless... youre a communist AHHHH....

What in the cold hell are you talking about?
actually this is getting rather pointless, he already got his answer now were just arguing over modes
Quote by Wylde14
actually this is getting rather pointless, he already got his answer now were just arguing over modes

Modes have nothing to do with this conversation. Why you insisted on bringing them up is beyond me.
locrian is diminished
mixolydian, ionian, and lydian are major MODES
dorian, aeolian, and Phrygian are minor MODES ( all minors have a b3)
the major SCALE is the same as the MODE Ionian im am not say that ionian is the only major mode, same goes for aeolian and the minor SCALE,
just to reiterate ( probally spelled wrong)
Aeolian MODE = Minor SCALE
Ionian MODE= Major SCALE
i was not trying to say that ionian and aeolian were the only major and minor modes i see where that could have been misconstured (probally spelled wrong) so i apologize.
the major SCALE is the same as the MODE Ionian im am not say that ionian is the only major

"Ionian" implies that the music is modal, which, 99% of the time, it isn't. The terms "ionian" and "major scale" are not interchangeable.
then go compalin to Slash-Pwns his lessons taught me so yell at him
Quote by F8iscruel
then go compalin to Slash-Pwns his lessons taught me so yell at him

Slash-pwns isn't in here presenting false information, you are.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Slash-pwns isn't in here presenting false information, you are.

you're getting to be quite annoying
You're missing the point when you question archeo by saying ionian mode and the major scale have the same notes, so they're the same. Yes, they're the same notes but when you say 'C major' you imply diatonic harmony, as he says. If you say C ionian you imply modal harmony.

EDIT: Oh, as he's already directly stated. lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by F8iscruel
you're getting to be quite annoying

Fantastic. Don't bitch when you present false information and get called on it.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Fantastic. Don't bitch when you present false information and get called on it.

i havent presented false information, ive presented the information in the way ive learned it through UG so if your insulting my information your are inversely insulting UG
and dont try your fansy wording to try and turn that statment on me because this time i know im right
Page 1 of 2