I sit in my living after work everyday, and just randomly play what I know... Ill look up some tabs and play around for a little while and then call it quits after about 45 minutes, go and do something else and come back to my guitar and basically do the same thing.

If I pick up a song quickly Ill just keep playing it for a while until I come to a point where Im stuck and get frustrated and either screw around with a song i know to make myself feel better or just put my guitar down until a few more hours pass and I pick it back up.

I have guitar ADD i guess. So basically my question to you guys is, what do you do? Do you have a set system that you follow or do you basically fool around like i do.

If you are learning a song do you stick with it until you get it or do you learn peice by peice along the way of random jamming.
find something that is difficult for you to do, and just practice a little exercise that can help you with that problem. for example if you have trouble with playing a fast lick with a slide in it, practice sliding. For me, i'm working on getting my pull offs down so i can play solos across the fretboard. so focus on your problems and slow it down and practice them.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I've played guitar for about five years. I used to just practice new songs that were difficult for me. I don't do those as much anymore. I do those now and then, but I focus more of my energy on Beatles song (Easier but still fun). Then I multilayer my tracks to produce soemthing similar to the song.
If its something repetitive, that takes ages to learn, i just watch television with a metronome and just do it whilst watching. This is not always a good idea, and i dont always do it, but if you are just getting the technique/riff down for the first time and not worrying about tone etc its quite good.
Honestly, I can't concentrate on a lot of stuff unless I have a guitar in my hands. If I'm reading or doing something, I usually just practice some hard riff. If I need to type, I usually just type with one and either do legato with my left, or tapping with my right. I usually try and find a song that has good finger exercises or repeats a scale. (anything by Batio or Malmsteen.) That way I feel like I'm doing something and not just playing some dumb exercise. Or I make my own and do 'em.
im sure everybody has the problem of what to play, how to play, and the frustrating aspect of learning guitar. i know i do. so when you learn something, play the **** out of it. ive been playing for 2 months and i jst learned maria maria by carlos santana and ive played it over 100 times in 2 days. and do alot of exercises for stretching, sweeping, hammerons. all can be found on this site. its not all about learning to play songs right away, refine your techinques. build up your speed. then start learning those frusterating songs. i am still at my party stage where i just wanna learn songs to show off with, so its hard for me to just consentrate on exercises. what i do is 20 mins a day for speed, 20 mins for stretching, 20 mins to learn chords and whatnot. then the rest i just play songs i know over and over again.
just dont ever stop playing!!!!!!
I pratice in front of my computer Mostly because I use virtual amplifiers, but also because Guitar Pro is easier to get to through that.

*EDIT*

Also I practice about 2 hours a day - with hard songs I want to learn, ie. Wolf and Raven by Sonata Arctica (which it is right now), or something else I find challenging. You should set yourself a couple of goals, such as learning to sweep pick, alternate picking with different notes, scales etc.
Last edited by gonX at Apr 27, 2008,
I just pick up my guitar and play whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I'll get some tabs to learn, or learn a scale, but most of the time I play with my dad. Recently I have been working on soloing while he plays.
I sit on a chair in front of my bed. On my bed I have my book, a cloth to periodically wipe my hands, my trusty metronome, and a stop watch. It's pretty structured actually...
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by shaunmood
I sit in my living after work everyday, and just randomly play what I know... Ill look up some tabs and play around for a little while and then call it quits after about 45 minutes, go and do something else and come back to my guitar and basically do the same thing.

If I pick up a song quickly Ill just keep playing it for a while until I come to a point where Im stuck and get frustrated and either screw around with a song i know to make myself feel better or just put my guitar down until a few more hours pass and I pick it back up.

I have guitar ADD i guess. So basically my question to you guys is, what do you do? Do you have a set system that you follow or do you basically fool around like i do.

If you are learning a song do you stick with it until you get it or do you learn peice by peice along the way of random jamming.

I am exactly the same. In fact on weekends and days off, i do that all day long
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
heres how i practice

for a warm up i just screw around with some chords and riffs from songs that i like.
then i do 2 of the excercies john petrucci shows in rock discipline
the stretching one and the one for coordination of both hands

then i go to learning some new tunes, lately its been a lot of king crimson.
if i find a bit i find particularily dificult then i play it over and over again slowly until i get it right in the right tempo

then i go through some scales, modes and my dreaded reading excercises.
being able to read standard notation is the best skill you could ever get.

takes me about an hour and half to go through that routine.

after that i just do what you do basically..
Quote by shaunmood

You know what, I don't see anything wrong with your practicing method. I do that a lot lately inbetween classes here at college. If i really like a song I'll learn it, a song doesn't need to be incredibly difficult to be worth learning. I do try and practice scales and have some sense of a place where i want to go with guitar, but picking up songs you like and practicing your known repitoire (which i try to do, helps when you want to play a solo show or something) is still good. As long as you enjoy playing, thats all that counts.
I appreciate your critiques... however... this was more of a consensus poll than anything else... Im just curious as to what the next guy is doing.