I'm looking for something cheap that will work well as sound baffling. Any suggestions?
sup?
Proper acoustic treatment costs money, any any cheap methods are a waste of time and money IMO. If you are only doing small home recording, I don't really feel its needed but if you have a lot of condenser mics and do lots of acoustic or vocal recordings you can buy some kits online and do a small closet or room to save money.
Quote by moody07747
Proper acoustic treatment costs money, any any cheap methods are a waste of time and money IMO. If you are only doing small home recording, I don't really feel its needed but if you have a lot of condenser mics and do lots of acoustic or vocal recordings you can buy some kits online and do a small closet or room to save money.

No, I need something dirt cheap . I realize that cheap methods won't work as well... Any other suggestions?
sup?
Quote by ldl67
No, I need something dirt cheap .

In other words.... save your money, really.

If you want to get into the ghetto trash look, you could nail some moving blankets to the wall, or some carpet remnants. Don't do it on every wall. Ideally, you want opposite walls to be opposite - one absorptive, and the opposite one reflective.

Long, heavy curtains from the Salvation Army could be a useful find. Only if they're heavy, though.

If you have any large furniture to reflect and diffuse the sound further, you can consider a large bookshelf filled with varying sizes and depths of books.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Why do you need proper sound treatment - if you don't have the money to buy great acoustic paneling - then are you running very expensive gear... because if not - it wont really matter.

I'm not trying to sound mean but buy a carpet and hang some curtains that's all you need.

Cheap is always a sacrifice of quality - if you want the best - you have to buy the best lol.
That does nothing. Hanging blankets does nothing.

It takes ALOT of mass and density and absorption properties to absorb and stop sound waves. Alot more than any blanket or egg cartons will ever provide.
Quote by MrPillow
That does nothing. Hanging blankets does nothing.

It takes ALOT of mass and density and absorption properties to absorb and stop sound waves. Alot more than any blanket or egg cartons will ever provide.

Yes, blankets do work, I have tried.

Does anyone know how well foam works?
sup?
As I said, the material must be heavy and dense to have any effect at all. It is also entirely dependent on where it is placed, how much is used, etc.
Egg cartons and blankets and what-not don't do anything for sound *proofing* but it's hard to say whether threadstarter wants simply to control reflections in his room with his baffling, or if he intends to try soundproofing.

If it is for controlling sound, then blankets are an acceptable, but second or third-choice option.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Egg cartons and blankets and what-not don't do anything for sound *proofing* but it's hard to say whether threadstarter wants simply to control reflections in his room with his baffling, or if he intends to try soundproofing.

If it is for controlling sound, then blankets are an acceptable, but second or third-choice option.

CT

I want it for stopping natural reverb, and hoping it might help a bit with feedback... but mostly to stop natural reverb...
sup?