Which do you guys prefer? im new to 7s but i feel what i expected to be able to play with them isnt all that much better..eg you can play a 2 octave 3nps scale in one position but this doesnt sound that great compared to sliding up and down the neck etc. Also you cant play barres over 7 strings apart from the first few frets. Also i find the neck is a lot thicker and wider so shredding is more difficult anyway. My other problem is changing between 7s and 6s constantly i find it tough.

Just wondering what anyone who has tried both for a period of time thinks. Im torn between both.
Last edited by Psych0tr0n at Apr 26, 2008,
7 string

you will grow drastically as a shredder

plus, 6 strings can get fuggled truss rods, messed up action, etc. from drop tuning.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
i have 11 6 strings, one 7 string, i like my 7, when the mood is right, mostly, i just play the 6 strings. everything is about the mood with me, i love my 7 string though, it gets the nice heavy sound i want from it, and it sounds like the devil when i need it too. i wouldnt get rid of it even if i only played it once every couple years
Quote by jamogod
i have 11 6 strings, one 7 string, i like my 7, when the mood is right, mostly, i just play the 6 strings. everything is about the mood with me, i love my 7 string though, it gets the nice heavy sound i want from it, and it sounds like the devil when i need it too. i wouldnt get rid of it even if i only played it once every couple years

i agree the 7 sounds beefier but all i end up playing is generic metal riffs. i got the hellraiser btw.
Quote by SeanHart213
7 string

plus, 6 strings can get fuggled truss rods, messed up action, etc. from drop tuning.

yeah i have my Epi in Drop A and the action is horrible its sounds like **** and i'm getting a seven string within the next few weeks.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
I have 4 7 strings.

One for Standard
one for half step down
one for A#C#G#C#F#A#D#
one for FBEADGB

IMO, much better than 6 strings.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by fitbband
11 6 strings huh?

im sure.

yeah, when you play for twenty years, you develope a collection. it also doesn't hurt that i buy them with the money i've earned and don't count on my parents to buy my guitars for me
7 string

Quote by ugmung
yeah i have my Epi in Drop A and the action is horrible its sounds like **** and i'm getting a seven string within the next few weeks.

Maybe if you both knew half of anything about basic guitar set up that wouldn't happen... seriously.

You need to use thicker gauge strings the lower the tuning for the guitar to properly intonate. Then you tune it to pitch and mess with action until it doesn't buzz. Then you check the truss rod and adjust accordingly. Then you intonate, then retune. There, no "fuggled" anything. The fact that guitars are tuned to E is totally arbitrary and was from a time when manufacturing was not as precise today and the tolerances had to be compensated for with a specific tuning and therefore a specific tension. Tuning is a grand equation. It's basically Tuning X String Gauge = Tension. Lower tuning requires higher gauge strings to maintain tension, and as long as tension is constant nothing needs to change.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
Maybe if you both knew half of anything about basic guitar set up that wouldn't happen... seriously.

You need to use thicker gauge strings the lower the tuning for the guitar to properly intonate. Then you tune it to pitch and mess with action until it doesn't buzz. Then you check the truss rod and adjust accordingly. Then you intonate, then retune. There, no "fuggled" anything. The fact that guitars are tuned to E is totally arbitrary and was from a time when manufacturing was not as precise today and the tolerances had to be compensated for with a specific tuning and therefore a specific tension. Tuning is a grand equation. It's basically Tuning X String Gauge = Tension. Lower tuning requires higher gauge strings to maintain tension, and as long as tension is constant nothing needs to change.

i'm not an idiot.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by Mo Jiggity

quit being a dick dude.

if you detune a 6-string that has a standard setup to like B without having it set-up or setting it up yourself, which includes changing the string gauge, its gonna get messed up as you thoroughly and unnessecarily explained.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
I love my 7 but I also have a special place for my 6 too. I love them both, really it all depends on what ya feel like playing.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Think of it as if you detune a 6, you're getting those lows, but it won't sound as good and your losing alot of the high notes. That's why I go 7, and I say 7, for the reason that it's just more notes instead of almost trading notes with a detuned 6, where as you're getting those lows, but you'll have to give up those highs.