whats the difference, to my understanding they are similar but Im not sure yeah its a noob question, but Im new to effects, thanks guys
Last edited by therealtater at Apr 26, 2008,
delay is like an echo

Flanger makes a swoosh sound almost like a jet flying overhead
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Delay is basically an echo where as flanger is just a modulation with like a filter i think. I do no that it's just a modulation effect. Modulation just brings the pitch up and down at various speeds.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
It's for panning the signal.

Basically, you take two amps, and hook one into each input. You set the pedal to Gate (Pan), and the sound bounces from amp to amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Here is the main difference between the two.
A delay repeats a section of audio multiple time at diminishing volumes. This causes an echo effect.
A flanger on the other hand takes the singal, copies it, and plays it over top with a very slight delay in time. This causes a wooshing effect, comparable to a phaser.

The reason that there are 2 jacks is because these pedals can produce a stereo effect (a slightly diffrent sound in each ear). Haveing 2 input jacks can preserve this from other pedals and output it though the other 2 jacks.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60