YES it can. just figured i'd clear this up on the 5 watt blackheart little giant (can't comment on other 5 watt tube amps but i'd assume their volume is almost the same)

it CAN be heard with a drummer. cleans CAN be heard with a drummer. this was tested today at a jam before praise and worship practice. my drummer is more heavy than he is light on the sticks. he uses a double bass kicker too. i haven't tried hearing if it'll be heard w/ death metal styled drum playing (thundering double bass galore). but then again....if you're trying to play death metal on a 5 watt tube amp you need to just save up some more money and invest it wiser.

i know this isn't an ancient mystery solved, but so many people are asking if it's capable of being heard over drummers and stuff.

for further clarification:

i didn't HAVE to have my OD on to be heard but it did fatten the tone up.

any further questions i'll answer to the best of my knowledge!!

UG
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Could your drummer hear you play as well?
What kind of guitar do you have?
What speaker comes with the little giant? (speakers do have different volume ratings)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Uh, couldn't hang with my drummer. Are you playing with just a drummer? For some reason I have a feeling that if there was another guitarist and a bassist, you'd get drowned out. I have to crank my 150 watt triple rectifier to 3 o'clock so my drummer can hear me.
Quote by Say Ocean
Uh, couldn't hang with my drummer. Are you playing with just a drummer? For some reason I have a feeling that if there was another guitarist and a bassist, you'd get drowned out. I have to crank my 150 watt triple rectifier to 3 o'clock so my drummer can hear me.

i think you got ****ed when you bought that thing.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
My JCM900 (50 watt mode) is always on at least 12 o clock during band practice, and even then there could be some room for a little more volume.

And yeah, I highly doubt a 5 watt tube amp would be sufficient if you had a full band playing along with you, not just drums.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
yes there was a standard band. bass player, two guitarists, one drummer.

3 o'clock on 150 WATTS? scoop ur mids eh? my 50 watt randall RM50 could be heard well over the drummer on slightly less than halfway.

and YES the drummer COULD hear me playing. usually i lay a riff and he picks up the tempo from my speed.

my guitar is an Epi G-400. seymour duncan JB and Jazz. eminence speaker. can't remember which model. it's also the half stack version of the blackheart, or the MINI stack i should say.

if i were playing death metal i would be drowned out b/c my amp is not trying to push that heavy. w/ my blackheart i only go as heavy as oldschool metallica type thrash. so if there was someone w/ a KSE style going on, then i'd be pretty faint i assume.

other questions?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
ha have any of you every PLAYED through a 5 watt tube amp cranked? the difference in volume compared to higher wattages isn't in proportion to watt-to-watt ratio. i hope you understand what i meant by that...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I know that a 50 watt amp wont sound 45 watts louder than a 5 watt amp, same hting with 50 to 100. But still, 5 watts cranked compared to 50 watts is still definitly a noticeable difference.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Quote by slash_rocks2005
ha have any of you every PLAYED through a 5 watt tube amp cranked? the difference in volume compared to higher wattages isn't in proportion to watt-to-watt ratio. i hope you understand what i meant by that...

When cranked they don't stay clean.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by LastCaress88
I know that a 50 watt amp wont sound 45 watts louder than a 5 watt amp, same hting with 50 to 100. But still, 5 watts cranked compared to 50 watts is still definitly a noticeable difference.

50 watts is about 2x as loud as a 5 watt amp.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
yes there was a standard band. bass player, two guitarists, one drummer.

3 o'clock on 150 WATTS? scoop ur mids eh? my 50 watt randall RM50 could be heard well over the drummer on slightly less than halfway.

Hahaha no I have my mids almost all the way up, and with a boost out front too. My drummer plays really loud and we're a metal band.
^fair enough. i didn't have to crank my amp to be heard on clean. i just went like 3/5 way on the 3 watt mode and rolled a lil volume off on the guitar. that was good enough. when i wanted to be heard w/ overdrive/dist. i just kicked on the bad monkey(obviuosly since i dont have time to run over to the amp and roll the volume up)

and when dimed it is hard to clean up completely unless you go to like 1 on ur volume. but if you can handle strumming lightly you'll sound just fine.

i hope no one here thinks i'm lying about any of this haha. like i said, when playing full out metal, i dont use the blackheart, that's what the RM50 is for.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

While this is true, there is SOME difference. you probably could squeak by at a band practice if your drummer doesn't hit TOO hard but when you half to play a gig over the noise of the people and the band, along with having to fill up a room, I doubt you will clearly be heard. I would go with a 15w tube to be safe. say ocean, what do you think of your C30?
Quote by Say Ocean
Not at all. Maybe I just play with a full band and a loud metal drummer

lol, i use my with another guitarist and drummer sometimes and its at about 2 o'clock
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by Say Ocean

I'd say thats an exaggeration...metal tube amps get muddy as hell when they're beyond 1:00. Not to mention the last band I played with had about 8000watts of PA, 1000watt bass amp, triple recto, and my roadking and a miked up drummer in an unfinished basement full of reverb, I didn't have the roadking much over 12:00. Now I'm in a different band...no more cool PA or good rhythm guitarist

I usually have the roadking about 11:30-12:00 for band practices though, the Mark IV was about 10:00, the dragon adjusts different though...can't give a volume estimate for it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
some of this **** is absurd.
i play my fender hrd 45 watts i think on 3 of 12 when im playing live and unmic'd, sometimes i will bump it up to 4 for a big long solo. when im mic'd i like to have it about 2.5, loud enough to work as a good monitor for me, and not overly loud stage volume. this half way turned up huge amp stuff is rediclulous. where do you play where you need this kind of volume.

i could use a 5 watt amp pretty easily in a band practice.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd say thats an exaggeration...metal tube amps get muddy as hell when they're beyond 1:00. Not to mention the last band I played with had about 8000watts of PA, 1000watt bass amp, triple recto, and my roadking and a miked up drummer in an unfinished basement full of reverb, I didn't have the roadking much over 12:00. Now I'm in a different band...no more cool PA or good rhythm guitarist

I usually have the roadking about 11:30-12:00 for band practices though, the Mark IV was about 10:00, the dragon adjusts different though...can't give a volume estimate for it.

Not really. I meant when I'm practicing in a small room. In a bigger room, or live, I wouldn't need it that loud. And besides, modern metal amps don't even really get louder past 12 o'clock a lot of the time, just more compressed and dirty.
I'd say that rule about 50 watts being twice as loud as 5 watts is somewhat accurate. Because with my 5w palomino that thing at full volume and gain will definitely make ur ears ring if you stand right next to it. It might just be a little less than my 40w triple xxx at half volume, but my triple xxx has much more bass and a little bigger speaker also..
slash_rocks, thank you for this thread. It exploits the fact that a 50 watt tube amp or 100 watt SS amp is just more than you will likely need, ever. Period. It's like Slats signature, you don't need a half stack, you don't need a 100 watts. Sure it's nice to have, like a trophy, but does anyone really need that much power? I thank you.
Quote by chea_man
some of this **** is absurd.
i play my fender hrd 45 watts i think on 3 of 12 when im playing live and unmic'd, sometimes i will bump it up to 4 for a big long solo. when im mic'd i like to have it about 2.5, loud enough to work as a good monitor for me, and not overly loud stage volume. this half way turned up huge amp stuff is rediclulous. where do you play where you need this kind of volume.

i could use a 5 watt amp pretty easily in a band practice.

Fender hot rods don't get any louder past like 4-5, they just get more saturated.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by gregs1020
slash_rocks, thank you for this thread. It exploits the fact that a 50 watt tube amp or 100 watt SS amp is just more than you will likely need, ever. Period. It's like Slats signature, you don't need a half stack, you don't need a 100 watts. Sure it's nice to have, like a trophy, but does anyone really need that much power? I thank you.

Some of us do need 50 tube watts for the headroom. Sure, 5 watts will keep up with most drummers, but it won't have any clean tone. I need a squeaky clean jazz tone with a loud drummer and/or a horn section and most amps under 30 watts can't handle it.
no problemo gregs. wasn't the goal of the thread but it's still good that it is stated in here.

my 50 watter is the loudest i'd ever need i'm sure. i dont think i'll ever go over 50 watts unless i somehow become a touring musician at some point ha.

to clear up a little more, this wasn't saying that my 5 watt could get by on a club gig w/o mic'ing up. i'm sure it could in a smaller sized club. but anything bigger and i'd want to mic it up just for convience sake. but if you're playing nothing harder than some older thrash style stuff with one other guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer who knows how to play softer on clean parts, you should do fine.

and if i were to use this in a gig i'd mic it up for sure. take no chances in a gig. now as for my RM50, that's a different story.

thanks for the questions and replies
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH