are there any 5 watt tube amps with 2 channels so that one can switch from cleans to OD/distortion? if the amp only has one channel, how does one change sounds like this? unless you use an overdrive pedal on the clean channel. because i've heard that on single channel tube amps, the sound goes from clean to OD when you raise the volume.
Carvin Vintage 16 has two channels.

It can switch from 16 to 5 watts too!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
so instead of raising the amp's volume till it breaks up creating distortion, you keep the sound clean and run the OD pedal over that?
i should say that i am trying to sound like Coheed and Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Billy Talent, The Fall of Troy, and Ensiferum. My Ibanez S520EX still has the stock pickups.
edit: and I probably won't be going over $400. i just need a good amp for my bedroom so that I can actually have a good tone, right now i play clean through my bass amp.
Last edited by Sound Mind at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by Sound Mind
i should say that i am trying to sound like Coheed and Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Billy Talent, The Fall of Troy, and Ensiferum. My Ibanez S520EX still has the stock pickups.
edit: and I probably won't be going over $400. i just need a good amp for my bedroom so that I can actually have a good tone, right now i play clean through my bass amp.

A 5 watt tube amp won't get you those tones unless you use a pedal.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
A 5 watt tube amp won't get you those tones unless you use a pedal.

I know that, that's why I wanted to know how to go about switching from cleans to a distorted sound, and back.
Even a 5 watt tube amp will be too loud for bedroom practice if you want a significant amount of distortion out of it. If you have a bass amp, you might be better off just getting some kind of nice modeling distortion setup to run if front of it for those tones, or else a good, small solid state amp, may a Roland Cube or a Vox ADXL.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
What would be better, something like a Pod x3 used with my bass amp, or a Peavey Valveking royal 8 and an OD pedal? The Peavey has a headphone jack so if it is too loud i could do that, i live in a house and my family's used to my playing so i don't think that the volume of a 5 watter will be a problem (my bass amp is Fender 60W SS). But if I got the Pod x3 i wouldn't need any more equipment for recording.