I've been playing guitar for a while now, and I think I'm in the higher part of intermediate, maybe even the lower part of advanced. So I've been thinking of breaking in to new instruments, to make myself a more versatile musician. First thing I was looking at was bass. Assuming I want to play it the "correct" way, with my fingers, do you think that I'd have at least somewhat of a "head-start" from having played guitar, or will it just be like learning an entirely new instrument?

After that I'd want to learn keyboard, but I assume it's a bigger jump from guitar to keyboard then it is from guitar to bass.
It will be easier to learn the bass the the piano. Piano will be entirely new. Bass will have new elements such as slapping, popping, dealing with the larger frets and strings, but it's not that much different than guitar, especially if you play with a pick.
You got it.

Guitar will pretty much give you an edge on most stringed instruments (Not the harp of course.)

But because you are a musician you should be able to learn a new instrument faster than a complete beginner. It's like a hockey player that learns how to play football, he's still an athlete, so he'll pick it up alot faster than other people.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
for bass, you'd have the advantage of knowing what notes are what, and where they occur on the fretboard. but if you want to be a GOOD bassist, you'll have to approach playing the bass as a whole new instrument.
Glad to hear the bass will be even a tiny bit easier to learn. Would I need a new amp for a bass, or do they work in guitar amps?
you will definitely need a new amp for bass. guitar amps can't handle the super-low frequencies of a bass, and will literally blow out / blow up if you play bass thru them too loud.

you can play guitar thru a bass amp though... it just sounds bassy.
Quote by Doodleface

But because you are a musician you should be able to learn a new instrument faster than a complete beginner. It's like a hockey player that learns how to play football, he's still an athlete, so he'll pick it up alot faster than other people.

Yep.

@frigginjerk- you nailed your point too. I describe it like this... There are people who play bass, and then there are bass players. Pretty much any guitar player can play bass, but a bass player is a person who knows the idioms of the instrument well enough that s/he *thinks* like a bass player, and approaches it as its own unique instrument, and not merely a variation on something else already familiar (like a guitar, for instance).

This could, of course apply, to any other instrument than bass too.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Yep.

@frigginjerk- you nailed your point too. I describe it like this... There are people who play bass, and then there are bass players. Pretty much any guitar player can play bass, but a bass player is a person who knows the idioms of the instrument well enough that s/he *thinks* like a bass player, and approaches it as its own unique instrument, and not merely a variation on something else already familiar (like a guitar, for instance).

This could, of course apply, to any other instrument than bass too.

CT

That's good to know, I probably would have ended up thinking of it as a variation of a guitar whether I wanted to or not. I'll have to be conscious of how I'm playing!