So no matter what I do I can't seem to get through to my parents when it comes to college. I've been in school now for 3 years, transferred out of SUNY Delhi to a community college around here to think about what I really wanted to do, and think about it for a year while still getting some credits, so going to school part time and working as well.

The degree I was pursuing at Delhi was only suppose to be 2 years, but I was not sure if that was something I wanted to def. do and the last year slacked off, so now I'm a semester away from graduating and decided to go back next semester and finish off my 2 year degree from there for Computer Information Systems.

After that I was thinking about getting a job, but at the same time going back to school, but this time for a bachlors in Music Industry and Technology at Mercy College here in NY. After telling them this, they ignore my statement of that, and just go back to saying why haven't I finished my 2 years already and I explained to them my credits didn't transfer over to the Community College and that I planned to go back and complete it, the only reason I'm even doing that is to make them happy that I have a degree in a computer field like they want.

Basically I don't think they want me to do the Music Industry and Technology field, and are simply concerned about the money going towards college, and are putting pressure on me to finish college already, even though the field they want me in is what I don't want to be in which is why its taking so long, other than the fact no-one I know is on track to finish school on time anyway, ughh
Are they paying for it?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
For SUNY Delhi, I thook half the load and they did the other half, so I have half the loans to pay for that once I'm done.

For the community college I'm at right now, I'm paying for it completely by working.
blue oyster cult ftw^^
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
TL;DR

You just have to think, 'What would NPH do?'

Your answers will come easy that way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i have found that a baseball bat to the head is the best method of communication in situations like this. But seriously, tell them you're destined to fail and be miserable if you end up studying for a career which you have no interest in.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by SacredxSuperman
For SUNY Delhi, I thook half the load and they did the other half, so I have half the loans to pay for that once I'm done.

For the community college I'm at right now, I'm paying for it completely by working.

Well I would say since they have a financial stake in it finish your computer degree and get a job then continue your education in music at your leisure.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
you're an adult....
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by clyne39
blue oyster cult ftw^^

ummm what?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
TL;DR

You just have to think, 'What would NPH do?'

Your answers will come easy that way.

NPH?

And yeah I told them I would finish the college degree, but ugh I wish my parents would just open theyre mind instead of just thinking of the money
this may not be what you want to hear, but being in a similar situation myself, I'd suggest to go ahead and bust ass to complete your 2 year degree. That way at least you should be more marketable and be able to pull in a little more money, even if you dont love what you're doing.

Also that would give you time to think about if you really want to do the whole music thing. I mean, it does sound really cool but what would that degree allow you to do that you couldnt otherwise do? I dont know. I'm guessing that the vast majority of people that have successful carreers (successful, meaning they dont need another job to support themselves) in the music industry don't have degrees. I'm not counting teachers.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Quote by SacredxSuperman
ummm what?

NPH?

And yeah I told them I would finish the college degree, but ugh I wish my parents would just open theyre mind instead of just thinking of the money

The ummm what - He has pointing at my avatar.
NPH - no idea

The money - I got a 24 yo that should of finished school last year. He decidied to take a year off. In the meantime I'm sitting on a big chunk of payments that I would much rather be spending on other things. For starters his little brothers college education which will be starting next fall. I'm not the kind of person to get all wrapped up in material things but I don't like running out of money. I think I can probably understand your parents position.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Well I sat down and talked to my dad alone about this just now.

I'm going to go back to Delhi. I already have 43 GPA Hours/Credits there. So I need 18 more to graduate with my associates, so I'm going to go, and do a single semester there to complete it.

I will then return here, and if I still wish to, pursue the whole audio/sound engineering degree I want.
I think you will be able to put a computer degree to good use in the music industry when you get there. It's quite complimentary. Good luck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by SacredxSuperman
So no matter what I do I can't seem to get through to my parents when it comes to college. I've been in school now for 3 years, transferred out of SUNY Delhi to a community college around here to think about what I really wanted to do, and think about it for a year while still getting some credits, so going to school part time and working as well.

The degree I was pursuing at Delhi was only suppose to be 2 years, but I was not sure if that was something I wanted to def. do and the last year slacked off, so now I'm a semester away from graduating and decided to go back next semester and finish off my 2 year degree from there for Computer Information Systems.

After that I was thinking about getting a job, but at the same time going back to school, but this time for a bachlors in Music Industry and Technology at Mercy College here in NY. After telling them this, they ignore my statement of that, and just go back to saying why haven't I finished my 2 years already and I explained to them my credits didn't transfer over to the Community College and that I planned to go back and complete it, the only reason I'm even doing that is to make them happy that I have a degree in a computer field like they want.

Basically I don't think they want me to do the Music Industry and Technology field, and are simply concerned about the money going towards college, and are putting pressure on me to finish college already, even though the field they want me in is what I don't want to be in which is why its taking so long, other than the fact no-one I know is on track to finish school on time anyway, ughh

i was in the same position they were unhappy i quit my business degree because i didnt want to do the career they forced me into (non musical). i should have done it for my cv but i work in Music teaching and performing now anyway so. Its an impossible thing for parents to understand who are not involved in music (especially if no family members work in music). My parents only half accepted what i do when i showed i was making a good living out of it.
Last edited by Psych0tr0n at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by Jackal58
I think you will be able to put a computer degree to good use in the music industry when you get there. It's quite complimentary. Good luck.

That is another thought I had. I saw how slowly production is turning really digital and computer oriented and thought I can now fully get into it.

Especially the field I'm pursuing, which will have me in the studio surrounded by computers and digital-type items, a computer degree will go hand in hand with the music degree. Thanks for the luck though