I started playing recently and i have trouble fingering barre chords - i have to place my index finger high so i can put the others down without muting other lower strings but it simply feels too awkward and requires a lot of pressure.

Any suggestions? I read in the lessons section about flat-back necks; can anybody speak from experience on how this could help me.
that's a normal thing when you start playing, it took a lot to me to get used to them.
and well i cannot help you at all cuz i've never used those necks...
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
wait what? how small are your hands? seriously? just keep practicing. there's no shortcut to get good at guitar.
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
It'll come with time. When I first started, I definitely couldn't do a lot of the chording/stretches I do now. Your fingers/joints will loosen up soon enough.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
your hands physically stretch out a bit..somewhat like doing yoga..you become more flexable (but you cant suck your own **** playing guitar).
It comes with practice. And barre chords are always awkward the first time through.

But if it really worries you, buy a guitar with a smaller scale neck. I bought a student model Fender Mustang, and it's easier for me to play because of it's small neck and my small hands.