Page 1 of 2
What are some good shred songs or solos to start off with when learning to shred to practice the techniques with. Thanks for any help
technical difficulties by racer x is what got me started. It's also the reason I'm so good at alternate picking. Start slow and work your speed up.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
I like to play ozzy songs of the tribute album. I dont know what is considered shred but those are fun and have awsome fils and only require one guitar. Crazy train is prob the first solo i learned all of.
^I like "Bark at the Moon" as a beginning Shred song.

Quote by DeathMask
alternate picking.
You'll hear a lot of talk about sweeping, tapping, legato, multi-fingered-tapping, economy picking, and sweep-tapping, but if you can't alternate pick then you can't shred.

I don't mean to discourage you if you're not yet proficient at the technique, but you need to practice and master it.
The best way is to take some small parts out of hard solos and play them slowly with a metronome until you have them mastered. The first solo I did this with was Cemetery Gates by Pantera, with the long legato slide lick and the alt. picking chromatic lick (and several other parts). It's easier to do when you have Guitar Pro or Powertab because you can play right along to a midi.
yea bark at the moon is awsome. I love that solo but havent tried it yet its on my list of songs to learn in the future.
Quote by CowboyUp
The best way is to take some small parts out of hard solos and play them slowly with a metronome until you have them mastered. The first solo I did this with was Cemetery Gates by Pantera, with the long legato slide lick and the alt. picking chromatic lick (and several other parts). It's easier to do when you have Guitar Pro or Powertab because you can play right along to a midi.

listen ot this guy that is really good advice. I learn every difficult lick, riff solo whatever it is with guitar pro or a metronome.
No Boundaries by Micheal Angelo Batio is designed to be a series of exercises in different techniques. It's perfect to get practice with. I don't know how good you are yet and I could be way off base, but I'm gonna have to say that you're probably best served working on other random stuff for awhile to get your chops up. Learn some Metallica solos, that kind of thing until you know your coordination is perfect and you are completely precise. Precision matters above all else.

Oh yeah, and the solo in Stabwound by Necrophagist is another good one to get some practice with.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Crazy Train, Rock You Like a Hurricane... Eruption maybe?

And yeah, Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert is pretty good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Sails of Charon by Uli Jon Roth/Scorpions is a pretty good choice for a first shred song; it's not stupidly fast but definitely worth learning for technique purposes if nothing else.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3JXaz78hD6w
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bdragob
Arppegios From Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen

im using this as my first "shred" song starting at 80 bpm zzzzz
Technical Difficulties, while not very Difficult(ies), really helps you work your chops.
You're funny! I applaude you, good sir!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
I wouldnt say Technical Difficulties is an easy song to start, i woudl reccomend much later after you alternate pick. Just because you learned how to alternate pick it doesnt mean you can pick it fast!

i Would reccomend anything Zach Wylde, it is all pretty much pentatonic and not hard shred but sounds fast
plus wah wah can be used to hide mistakes!

Also Heart Breaker by Led Zepplin, solo is also played quite sloppy and has some feedback
so once again don't need to worry about major mistakes!
i wouldnt say hangar 18. coz theres like 20 solos in there all sweeps and all quick

marty friedman = awesome.
Quote by henza_x
i wouldnt say hangar 18. coz theres like 20 solos in there all sweeps and all quick

marty friedman = awesome.

i was reffering to the dave mustaine solo parts
bangoodcharloteif you can't alternate pick then you can't shred.

I don't mean to discourage you if you're not yet proficient at the technique, but you need to practice and master it.

i hate how you're right. Im starting from scratch coz while i can do **** fast, alternate picking isnt second nature to me

sux
I can't believe no one's said this yet: Canon Rock. Really the only hard parts are the sweep picking. And after you master sweeping work on economy picking.
I'm not really sure if I'd consider Technical Difficulties an appropriate starting point.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
It depends on what technique you want to work, do you want to work all of the common techniques (i.e. sweeping, tapping, alternate picking, etc.) or do you want to work one technique specifically?
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by Crazymike100
I can't believe no one's said this yet: Canon Rock. Really the only hard parts are the sweep picking. And after you master sweeping work on economy picking.

I would master economy and alt picking before worrying about sweeping. I think sweeping takes more time to learn and is less common. So it would be more helpfull to learn the more common, essential and easier techniques first and then spend months sweeping the same licks over and over with painstakingly slow progress but thats just me.
I got a question and rather than starting a whole new thread I thought I'd hijack this one.

I'm looking for some nice shreddy undistorted songs. So, if anyone of you has got any suggestions I'd appreciate you sharing them.
Quote by mr_magic
I got a question and rather than starting a whole new thread I thought I'd hijack this one.

I'm looking for some nice shreddy undistorted songs. So, if anyone of you has got any suggestions I'd appreciate you sharing them.

Long Island Shred
Air
Quote by Jimi-is-god

Also Heart Breaker by Led Zepplin, solo is also played quite sloppy and has some feedback

The TS is asking about things he can practice. Recommending to him that it's a good idea to learn to play sloppy isn't the best advice.
Quote by troyponce
No Boundaries by Micheal Angelo Batio is designed to be a series of exercises in different techniques. It's perfect to get practice with. I don't know how good you are yet and I could be way off base, but I'm gonna have to say that you're probably best served working on other random stuff for awhile to get your chops up. Learn some Metallica solos, that kind of thing until you know your coordination is perfect and you are completely precise. Precision matters above all else.

Oh yeah, and the solo in Stabwound by Necrophagist is another good one to get some practice with.

stabwound? 16th note sweeps at 250bpm? Come on, thats not an easy shred song!

i recommend Arpeggios from Hell by yngwie, it really opens up the fretboard and you'll start using arpeggios in your solos more than ever, and not just the bland 5 string sweeps. AFH is a great picking workout, theres no sweeping really to the best of my knowledge. at least, the A section dosent.

i agree with bangoodcharlotte- get alt picking down more than anything. Technical Difficulties by Racer X is great for this, its pretty much an exercise in scales disguised as a song.

You might also like some Joe Satriani. Surfing with the alien, the extremist, etc....

Eugenes Trick Bag has been mentioned. I'd avoid spending hours on that one unless you really like it, its sweep oriented and you really need to practice alt picking more...
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Jimi-is-god
Rhode Island Shred

Fixed.

Quote by Night_Lights
Eugenes Trick Bag has been mentioned. I'd avoid spending hours on that one unless you really like it, its sweep oriented and you really need to practice alt picking more...

Isn't Eugenes Trick Bag alternate picked? Or at least the original is as far as I remember. Something by Steve Morse would be good for alternate picking anyway; Tumeni Notes is all that comes to mind right now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeh Mr vai has always said that he preferes to alternate pick eugenes trick back rather than sweep the whole damn thing which is very tempting

good thing about that tune is that it sounds nice at whatever speed you do it at unlike some other songs that sound like crap until you get it full speed
Quote by bdragob
Arppegios From Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen
I believe he said "beginning" shred songs. *ahem*
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Quote by The Lesser Paul
I believe he said "beginning" shred songs. *ahem*

Arpeggios from hell is really a great song to learn all the different techniques with (especially alternate picking and sweeping), I started playing this a month or something ago and it really improved my skills. You got to be patient and work hard though, never get discouraged. You ought to get the hang of it sooner or later.
I can't play it up to high tempo yet, but hey, I've been playing for 9 and a half months...
It's also a great song to put in some of your own accents btw
Just a quick note about technical difficulties, it depends on which solo's you learn imo.

Version 1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T2zXMR2yc8E&feature=related

Version 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fpaWI4bEnWE&feature=related

Version 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g&feature=related

Version 4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f893eOYCMXk&feature=related

As you can see there are many different versions.

Some other songs that have been brought up:
No Boundries--I somewhat agree here, though some of it may be just a bit fast for someone who's truly beginning. Even on simple sweeps, 23.3 notes per second may be tough to keep clean when starting to get into the genre.

Stabwound--The main technique in the solo's to this song is sweep tapping. In my opinion, Alternate picking should come first in reccomendations, and both sweeping and tapping should come before sweep tapping.

I'l post more later.
Quote by Jimi-is-god
I wouldnt say Technical Difficulties is an easy song to start, i woudl reccomend much later after you alternate pick. Just because you learned how to alternate pick it doesnt mean you can pick it fast!

i Would reccomend anything Zach Wylde, it is all pretty much pentatonic and not hard shred but sounds fast

When you are trying to get better at playing guitar, you don't want to try to hide your mistakes. You should try to hear them, that way you can improve them. If he was just trying to do an impressive performance while still being a pretty new guitarist sure, but for the sake of improvement, it's not a good idea.

Scarified, by Racer X--this also depends on what version you learn, because there are some large changes in the solo between versions, however, I do not recommend it as a starting shred song. Some of the alternate picking patterns imo are too complex for someone who's just starting to alternate pick a lot. Also, it often takes a long time for you to get comfortable with very wide stretches, so someone who hasn't worked on them may find the 3 note per string, string skipping diminished arpeggios a bid uncomfortable and difficult.
I'd suggest that you learn songs that have "shred" moments in them like a lot of 80's stuff.

Megadeth
Ozzy (Rhoads, Lee)
Dio

After you learn some of that, and have basic techniques down, then try and tackle some of the harder stuff like Paganini's 5th, Eugene's Trick Bag, Cliffs of Dover.

Unless your ambitious, like me, and try to tackle the 5th caprice at 6 months . If you do try to tackle the hard stuff, be prepared to have your ass handed to you for a long time. Even, after you think you have it down, you probably don't. The results are worth it though, but you have to put in the hard work.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
I'll agree with Crazymike. Canon Rock, as much as I hate it, is a good song to practise on. It gets progessively harder, the hardest part being a few 3-string sweeps at a good tempo. Nothing overly impossible, but a good challenge and a goal certainly achievable.

Scarified? Nuh uh. It requires extreme picking technique in the 'verse' parts, if you will. It incorporates a LOT of string changing, which makes it hard to build speed on. I can do 3-note-per-string runs of 16ths at 160 bpm, but I can only get Scarified up to 120.

And jeez, Eugene's Trick Bag is all with fingers. :P
I find sweeping easier than fast alternate picking. Am I weird...?

For instance, the sweeps in Canon Rock. They're easier to me than thosae little alternate picked runs.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I would recommend good old Paul GIlbert - Down To Mexico Nice, very nice sounding and not that hard
Page 1 of 2