So different amps and guitars make dark and light tones..i got a rig with a hellraiser and 5150 but its just way to dark sounding, no good for anything but teh br00talz and its also just not lively enough. Would a maple neck guitar help things..or even a maple cap..im not sure of all the different permatations (ie which affects the brightness more greatly)

i realise pick, cable, string type, scale, pups, EQ etc all have an impact its more a question relating to the impact the different woods and where they are on the guitar has to brightness/darkness
I can't believe you didn't even mention amp.

Play your guitar through a 5150, then play through a fender tube amp.
Amp=Most of your tone
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I can't believe you didn't even mention amp.

Play your guitar through a 5150, then play through a fender tube amp.
Amp=Most of your tone

i just randomly named some examples. Question is relating to the woods on the guitar really.
Oic.
Well, the amp is THE most important factor to your sound.
But, with the stuff you listed, I think the body woods and the pickups make the most tonal difference. Scale and stuff like that matters too, but not near as much as an amp or body woods/pickups.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Oic.
Well, the amp is THE most important factor to your sound.
But, with the stuff you listed, I think the body woods and the pickups make the most tonal difference. Scale and stuff like that matters too, but not near as much as an amp or body woods/pickups.

again im trying to ask what sort of combination of woods is best. Basically i need a maple neck because its thinner so would that and a mahogany body be a good combo or would a maple cap as well work better? would a maple neck or a maple cap brighten up the sound more?