My Gear:

Epiphone Explorer (stock covered pickups)
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960 Vintage Cab
Sonic Stomp
boss NS-2 (suppose to get rid of feed back)

The boss NS-2 helps a LITTLE... But if I turn the 6505+ past 2 I get HORRIBLE feedback when i try and palm mute it and stop the sound (common for metal) And the NS-2 doesn't start to mute till for a good second after i play...

What gear do metal head guitarists here use, so we can turn the amp up and not have to stand a frickin' mile away to play w/o feedback..
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
thats not feedback what u are mentioning, that is a problem with ur guitars pickups

its a whistle sound now isnt it and its really HIGH pitched

as soon as u play a note the whistle goes away but once u stopped it returns am i correct?
is the NS-2 in the loop or in front of the amp. If its in front, all you are doing is quiting down incoming noise, but still living with preamp noise. Run it in your loop. It makes a world of difference.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Martindecorum
thats not feedback what u are mentioning, that is a problem with ur guitars pickups

its a whistle sound now isnt it and its really HIGH pitched

as soon as u play a note the whistle goes away but once u stopped it returns am i correct?

YESSS!!@!@!!! I use the stock humbuckers (as i said)

HEAL ME
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by Bloodshed
is the NS-2 in the loop or in front of the amp. If its in front, all you are doing is quiting down incoming noise, but still living with preamp noise. Run it in your loop. It makes a world of difference.

That is something I have yet to educate myself on.. This is how I plug in.

guitar > Sonic Stomp > (input hole) NS2 > (output hole) > Amp Head
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Apr 27, 2008,
Definitely try it in the loop, will most likely fix it.

Thank god I have a Mark IV now, no feedback <3
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My 6505+ doesn't have a LOOP on the back, it has EFFECTS with a send and return jack. Same thing?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Yes, it's the same thing.
The two threads you made, are also the same thing.
You do not, need two.
Quote by touji-za-nai
YESSS!!@!@!!! I use the stock humbuckers (as i said)

HEAL ME

If its not the loop pedal i am sure that ur Humbucker is featuring a problem, and needs to be re-wax potted which will cost the same amount roughly to just getting A NEW humbucker which is the way to go

What wax potting does is re insulates the pick up,

just picture a house in winter when they are insulated they are warm but if there isnt no insulation its cold

well in this case when there is no insulation the magnets are rebounding off each other causes a really disturbing whistle that wont go away unless fixed
Quote by Martindecorum
If its not the loop pedal i am sure that ur Humbucker is featuring a problem, and needs to be re-wax potted which will cost the same amount roughly to just getting A NEW humbucker which is the way to go

What wax potting does is re insulates the pick up,

just picture a house in winter when they are insulated they are warm but if there isnt no insulation its cold

well in this case when there is no insulation the magnets are rebounding off each other causes a really disturbing whistle that wont go away unless fixed

thanks a million mate

Quote by Moe.
Yes, it's the same thing.
The two threads you made, are also the same thing.
You do not, need two.

oh h0 h0000... somebody uses electric guitar
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Yeah, put the NS-2 in the Effects Loop.....like this

Send EFX=>Input NS-2 => Output NS-2=> Return EFX
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Or just move further from your amp, use less gain, or get something better than the NS-2, like an ISP Decimator.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Martindecorum

That's rediculous. You could do it yourself for like $5.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Martindecorum
then do it, it cost heaps in my town cause there is opnly 1 person who does it, i wouldnt no how to do it

If I remember correctly, there's a step-by-step guide in the gear customizing forum...

I really don't think it's your pickups though. If it's a fairly new guitar, this shouldn't have happened, pickups last a long time. It's just your settings on your pedal and where you're placing it imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Turn the pre gain down back, up and put the noise gate in the loop.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Stop going on about bloody noise gates!

This is clearly to do with pickup microphonics, for which a nOise reduction pedal is next to useless. Epiphones are especially bad for microphonics, the best option is to get new pickups. You can also wax-pot pickups yourself quite easily. If you're interested, the effect is usually caused by tiny bits of metal inside the pickup vibrating against each other, which is then picked up and amplified causing nasty, screechy feedback.

I usually fill an old tin can with candle wax (and a little beeswax when available), place it in a pan of boiling water and (once the wax has melted) dip the pickup in the wax and leave it there for about 15 minutes, or until there are no more bubbles visible. Most people tell you to use a meat thermometer to avoid damaging the pickup, but I just use a little common sense( ie set the heat to just keep the Water simmering).

Then remove your pickup, leave it to cool for a bit, wire it back into your guitar and you're done. Easy peasy.
Quote by kyle62
Stop going on about bloody noise gates!

This is clearly to do with pickup microphonics, for which a nOise reduction pedal is next to useless. Epiphones are especially bad for microphonics, the best option is to get new pickups. You can also wax-pot pickups yourself quite easily. If you're interested, the effect is usually caused by tiny bits of metal inside the pickup vibrating against each other, which is then picked up and amplified causing nasty, screechy feedback.

I usually fill an old tin can with candle wax (and a little beeswax when available), place it in a pan of boiling water and (once the wax has melted) dip the pickup in the wax and leave it there for about 15 minutes, or until there are no more bubbles visible. Most people tell you to use a meat thermometer to avoid damaging the pickup, but I just use a little common sense( ie set the heat to just keep the Water simmering).

Then remove your pickup, leave it to cool for a bit, wire it back into your guitar and you're done. Easy peasy.

HEY THANKS for finally someone agreeing with me about the situation, thank u lol

also thanks for telling me how i can do it my self, i never new how to do it and it seems simple, AWesome,
I'm actually gonna switch the standard humbuckers out with 81/85 pickups.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808