Page 1 of 2
So today i was like, **** it, im going to start building something, went to work, drew up a strat from some plans, modified the shape a good bit, made it a bit more sleek, added a scallop on the horn, kahler tremolo... etc. Its a two-piece walnut (my walnut lumber was 11 inches wide =[, 8 foot long board though!)

I made the measurements with an older neck that i had made that i will basically just be copying, here is the body after routing everything, and doing a good top-flattening. everything still needs to be sanded out. I am considering deepening the neck pocket 1/4 inch more and extending it into the pickup route to make a set-neck because i HATE bolt-ons... but im not sure yet... give me some ideas?

fight the power that be
What wood will you use for the neck? According to Warmoth: Walnut is in the heavy weight category but it's not quite as heavy as hard maple. It has a similar sound to hard maple but it tends not to be as bright.

The HH should tame the brightness a bit; so Mahogany or something similar for the neck?

its not going to matter, the whole different wood tone thing is kind of a load, people just buy into it big time. The neck will be a either a 3 piece or 5 piece laminate of 5a curly maple, walnut, ebony/rosewood/bubinga... The fingerboard will be goncalo alves.
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
its not going to matter, the whole different wood tone thing is kind of a load, people just buy into it big time. The neck will be a either a 3 piece or 5 piece laminate of 5a curly maple, walnut, ebony/rosewood/bubinga... The fingerboard will be goncalo alves.

lol, better grab that flame shield...

Different woods have different tonal qualities.
-Home brew tele
-Fender American Strat
-Fender mim Jazz
-Partocaster Strat
In progress: -Soloist build
-Vintage bass refinish

-vox 847 wah
-Blackstar distortion

+Vox AD30VT

"when I die, there won't be a funeral, but a jam session"
yeah, but you wont notice it much with an electric guitar. i know this for a fact and i don't really give a **** what anyone else says, sorry people, bask in your ignorance. a solid maple body and a solid mahogany body will vary in tone so slightly that its not easy to recognize, much blind testing under various conditions for guitar builder magazine, we did it with an amp tech named Dave Montalbano, look for the article, we also did tube amps vs. acoustic SS amps with an acoustic guitar.
fight the power that be
Ok, i see what your saying but you made a really general statement before. You wouldn't say agathis has the same tonal qualities as maple or mahogany would you?
-Home brew tele
-Fender American Strat
-Fender mim Jazz
-Partocaster Strat
In progress: -Soloist build
-Vintage bass refinish

-vox 847 wah
-Blackstar distortion

+Vox AD30VT

"when I die, there won't be a funeral, but a jam session"
the grain is quite loose and doesnt vibrate very well, but agathis vs. alder, you would never know, i dont care who you are. the only thing ive ever really noticed a difference in is plywood and a solid-wood. you can really make an electric guitar out of any hard-wood. agathis is a very poor-wood, very cheap, very nasty looking, very loose grained, etc.
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
the grain is quite loose and doesnt vibrate very well, but agathis vs. alder, you would never know, i dont care who you are. the only thing ive ever really noticed a difference in is plywood and a solid-wood. you can really make an electric guitar out of any hard-wood.

I agree with this, and got into an argument about this issue, and someone said they could hear the difference in tone on fretboard wood.
well, there is a very different feel, and actually a different tone, noticably, with fingerboards. only for one reason... theres a difference in tone between WOOD and FINISH. aka maple w/ hard finish will sound slightly more crisp and straight oiled wood. polyurethane and lacquer barriers will inhibit the tone slightly.
fight the power that be
Working on sanding this out right now, just ordered my electronics cavity template and im going to start on my neck tomorrow, 3 piece maple/walnut/maple laminate, curly maple of course. double action truss rod, likely going to be a goncalo alves fretboard, if i can get my hands on a good piece.
fight the power that be
Sanded out alot of the body today, almost done sanding the sides. Heres a preview of the hardware, neck is coming soon, i glued up the laminates today. curly maple/walnut/ curly maple. will likely do a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. My Critter Sprayer came today. its a little mason-jar sprayer, its pretty rad, cant wait to use it. still need to by sanding sealer and everything for my wood.

I used a drill with a sanding cylinder on it, and i made my scallop a little un-symmetrical, so i ave to redo that with a rasp or something... arg.

And there is the beautifully matched, right in the center end-grain of my geetar.

fight the power that be
nice dude!!!
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
That is sexy. Can't wait for it to be done, with a nice dark stain on it, it'll be awsome.
Quote by Guitarzan1143
yeah, but you wont notice it much with an electric guitar. i know this for a fact and i don't really give a **** what anyone else says, sorry people, bask in your ignorance. a solid maple body and a solid mahogany body will vary in tone so slightly that its not easy to recognize, much blind testing under various conditions for guitar builder magazine, we did it with an amp tech named Dave Montalbano, look for the article, we also did tube amps vs. acoustic SS amps with an acoustic guitar.

I've heard of that blind test. I agree totally, people obsess over the wood too much, and companies feed into that. I figure thats why Warmoth and other guitar companies get away with selling your 'guitar woods' for outrageous prices. Go to the lumbar yard, way cheaper IMO.

Anywho, you're strat looks incredible and very inspiring

Cheers
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Yeah man, i got the piece of lumber for this guitar for 120 dollars. I have enoguh wood to build 3 guitar bodies, or around 9 necks out of it. ****ing retarded. my piece of alder which was big enough for SIXXXX one-piece guitar bodies was 90 dollars...
fight the power that be
Last edited by Guitarzan1143 at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by Guitarzan1143
Yeah man, i got the piece of lumber for this guitar for 120 dollars. I have enoguh wood to build 3 guitar bodies, and around 9 necks out of it.

3 guitars AND 9 necks?
or 3 guitars OR 9 necks.
either way damn good deal.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
its not a good deal, thats actually rather expensive. warmoth/carvin/ebay lumber dealers are just raping people. no one is smart enough to look in the phone book for lumber dealers. i can get 8/4 curly maple for 6 dollars a board foot. curly birds eye maple for 6.80 a board foot. etc.
fight the power that be
hmm
will any local lumber yard carry this? or special yards for furniture making and such.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
nope, any hard-wood lumber yard will have some sort of maple, walnut, mahogany, ash, basswood, etc. you have to go through and root through TONS of heavy lumber and apallets to find the perfect piece, but its way worth it. they are always looking for a sale sine the lumber business is dying due to people ordering MDF furniture from china and ****.
fight the power that be
hmm
thanks man
sorry for hijacking your thread. lol
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Guitarzan1143

Spot on.

An electric guitars tone depends 80% on the amp you are using, 15% on the pickups, and 5% on everything else. All the wood really does is "bring out" the tones from the pickups. Where wood does make a different is in an acoustic guitar, where every wood choice and design decision will ultimately impact the tone of the guitar.

Good project so far. Amen on the going to local lumber yards. You can find the best deals there. My personal favorite place to look is at cabinet shops and carpenter shops. They often will sell you their hard wood for very cheap (and sometimes, they will give it to you).
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
I go to my local lumber yard, JC forest products, he gives me his maple/mahagony cutoffs for usually 5-20 bucks a board, in which i can get 2-3 necks out of, or 1 or 2 bodies. very nice deal for me. When his HUGE lumber twists/warps he puts it in that pile, i got some 16/4 rock maple, 8 foot long, for 35 dollars.
fight the power that be
I think i am going to do a fender-style headstock (scooped, not angled). For numerous reasons that i dare not list due to ignorant people flaming me in disbelief. The only lame thing is that doesnt exactly look awesome with laminates. we will see though, it will be all about placement of the laminates and where the logo goes and etc. If the middle laminiate works out right, i might just inlay my logo into the center of the middle laminate, that would look pretty cool, i think.
fight the power that be
the arm cutaway and outside cuts look pretty uniform in the rough pics... CNC router?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
very nice build- yes, do set in, but u dont have to extend the route into the pup route- just make it deeper

do the fender headstock no matter what anyone says, this is a strat build!

and one suggestion- dont know if its been mentioned yeat, but locking tuners will be a good idea with the kahler
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ i agree with number 2... i found a lumber yard by my house that has all exotic hardwoods available at what seems to be dirt cheap prices compared to the woods that luthier shops and ebay has to offer

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
no, not a CnC. i have developed a router system that id rather not share. ill just say benjamin franklin invented the idea. im going to deepen my neck pocket about 1/4 or 1/6 of an inch, and see what i got. i am thinking 1 1/8'' deep is going to be the sweet-spot.
fight the power that be
You should do the headstock as a slightly smaller Fender one. Imo they look too big.
the headstock shape will be original, but the over-all style of the scooped-peg head type thing will be fender-esque.
fight the power that be
Quote by Guitarzan1143
no, not a CnC. i have developed a router system that id rather not share. ill just say benjamin franklin invented the idea. im going to deepen my neck pocket about 1/4 or 1/6 of an inch, and see what i got. i am thinking 1 1/8'' deep is going to be the sweet-spot.

you invented a router that runs off of electricity, has an odometer and fire insurance and wears bifocals?

yes, i did. no benjamin franklin invented this thing with writing, i do the same thing, except with routing.
fight the power that be
did u patent the idea? maybe it's worth making and selling?

You could easily just angle the body, and put the router on a flat plane and route the cutaway.
my way is 10000 times easier. its been done by other people, its just not a commonly known wood-working secret. the plans for it i found were about 600 dollars. just a small booklet with pictures, haha.
fight the power that be
wow lol, definitely not worth 600 dollars. I never do regular strats anymore. Iwanna do a black one.
im not familiar with the term, im sure ive seen one before. define.

bolt on necks to me... well from a luthiers stand point, definitely not a big-seller for a "custom made guitar"

bolt on, pickguards, pickup rings, anything with like... screws, to me, seems chinese-assembly-line-cheapo to me. id just rather not deal with it, and give people what they are paying for, precision craftsmanship and beautiful tonewood. bolt-on necks are far from precise, you can fit that thing 5 different ways in that neck pocket.
fight the power that be
^ i prefer bolt ons... custom or not... i like the freedom of being able to replace a neck if it warps, cracks, breaks, get too much beer on it, etc.

Page 1 of 2