Page 1 of 2
I'll apologize... this might get a bit lengthy, but I think it needs to be...

Consider that music is cyclical. Typically, a genre will start small, quickly gather momentum, become bloated and predictable, having achieved the status of way more style over substance, and then self-destruct when a catalyst is introduced. Perfect example... hair metal. Ultimately, the catalyst was the Nevermind album, and the whole thing came crashing down almost overnight like a house of cards.

Now... consider hip-hop. It is, undeniably, the biggest cultural movement of the Western world in this generation. It started off underground, and is now, sitting in the same precarious position that hair metal was in 1990. Take your average hip-hop video, and it's all about the bling bling (cf. glam) and image is everything. Substance is virtually non-existant. Everyone is just spouting about how great they are, or how bad-ass they are. Take out the gangsta brothers and replace them with long-haired skinny white dudes with tatoos and you have Girls Girls Girls-era Motley Crue all over again.

It takes itself far too seriously, and is on probably fourth-generation recycling artifacts.... just like hair metal had Warrant, Firehouse, etc. - all a pretty far cry from the first-generation Crue's, Ratt's, etc.

So.... given that premise... it is only a matter of time before hip hop caves in on itself and buckles under its own weight. All it needs is a catalyst. What's on the horizon?

I think whatever it is is out there already. It just hasn't been picked up on the radar yet. Hip Hop won't die, just like hard rock never died. It just mutated. It became more honest in presentation, more gritty, much less slick in production and image, and more organic in sound. What will the next mutation of hip hop sound like? What will it look like?

What will the next big thing be that will replace hip hop as we know it... or at least as what it has become of itself?

Thoughts?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i have no idea whats comign next but I CANT WAIT for this hip hop rape your mother b.s. to be gone...
Hip hop's nothing like hair metal, nor is it the biggest thing going on right now. I think rap is more analogous to reggae or maybe even jazz - an incredibly broad selection of organically evolved musical styles, really, that rise and fall - witness party rap, gansta rap, southern rap, etc. What's next in rap? I don't think we're looking at a paradigm shift just yet, but the general trend seems to be toward more intelligent lyrics and a renewed emphasis on sampling instead of studio beats and background, at least as far as mainstream rap goes, but no significant change in subject matter or presentation really. More indie, stuff, I dunno what will happen, because production isn't driven so much by money and thus far harder to predict.
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
I think that Ska is making a comeback. At least in my city, there are way more people at Ska shows then there are at metal or rock shows. It's already beat down Hardcore here (w00t!)

I wouldn't mind Ska ending mainstream Hip-Hop/Rap too.
man...my head hurts from reading all that
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
progressive metal is starting to get more and more popular. protest the hero's new album went to #1 in canada and bands like mastodon are getting a lot of mainstream exposure.
Well i will agree that musical styles go through, if not cyclical, at least parabolic lifetimes. But what kind of question is, what is the next big thing?

Think about it really there are essentially a million variants of music, producing and reproducing genetically every day. I think it would be fair to say that your approach to the question is already outdated, as it can clearly be seen that hip-hop has branched way beyond any unifying singularity. Obviously hip-hop has branched off into rap and the plethora of rap styles (gangsta, east coast, dirty south, laid back, island, west coast) but hip-hop itself has retained its essential Hipopishness while translating itself into different genres itself such as Midwest indie hiphop and so forth. To understand the way music evolves it is more important to look at each genre as a sort of "standard" form of a hodgepodge of dialectical music styles. Thus Rock and Roll is a "standard" for a multitude of dialects that are similar enough to be classified under a unified title, but are different enough to be similar in their own right (upon inspection no one would consider the Rolling Stones and Zeppelin "essentially the same")

So the question should be more along the lines of, "In what capacity will a certain dialectical change supersede the common definitions of genres and create a new classification of music?" Because as we have all seen music occurs in gradualistic terms until a certain tipping point (think about the switch from hardcore to emo, what really changed, and how did that expansion relegate emo to a new definition?).
i enjoy head
i have a feeling polka is gonna be huge by 2009
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Jazzcore23
Well i will agree that musical styles go through, if not cyclical, at least parabolic lifetimes. But what kind of question is, what is the next big thing?

Think about it really there are essentially a million variants of music, producing and reproducing genetically every day. I think it would be fair to say that your approach to the question is already outdated, as it can clearly be seen that hip-hop has branched way beyond any unifying singularity. Obviously hip-hop has branched off into rap and the plethora of rap styles (gangsta, east coast, dirty south, laid back, island, west coast) but hip-hop itself has retained its essential Hipopishness while translating itself into different genres itself such as Midwest indie hiphop and so forth. To understand the way music evolves it is more important to look at each genre as a sort of "standard" form of a hodgepodge of dialectical music styles. Thus Rock and Roll is a "standard" for a multitude of dialects that are similar enough to be classified under a unified title, but are different enough to be similar in their own right (upon inspection no one would consider the Rolling Stones and Zeppelin "essentially the same")

So the question should be more along the lines of, "In what capacity will a certain dialectical change supersede the common definitions of genres and create a new classification of music?" Because as we have all seen music occurs in gradualistic terms until a certain tipping point (think about the switch from hardcore to emo, what really changed, and how did that expansion relegate emo to a new definition?).

i agree with this. only 50 years ago, there were really only 3 kinds of western music: blues, jazz, and rock & roll. today there are literally hundreds of different genres with artists combining genres and trying to defy boundaries created by such genres. perhaps there won't even be a "next big thing" because it will have all leveled out.
.....Beebop
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I hear Death Yodeling is on the rise guys
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
I think that certain types of metal could be much bigger if they were exposed to more people. Folk Metal could easily be the next big thing if it's exposed properly, but according to that statement, anything could lol.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
I'm seeing Progressive Metal being the next thing. There are so many good bands out there and its undeniable how influential they will be. Protest the Here, The Human Abstract, BTBAM, etc.
Quote by Ramones06
I hear Death Yodeling is on the rise guys

Holy shit that sound awesome! Bands?
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by keithmoon15
i have no idea whats comign next but I CANT WAIT for this hip hop rape your mother b.s. to be gone...

I've been doing some stuff for school on this - the evolution of hip hop and the like. Strangely, I'm finding it quite fascinating. The early days of hip-hop - folks like Afrika Bambaataa and Kool DJ Herc.... the '70's.... this Afrika Bambaataa dude was part of a vicious gang in the Bronx, and wound up going to Africa and meeting a Zulu king and came back a changed man. He came back to NY and helped start this movement that would become hip hop, under the basic principles of the Zulu nation - unity, peace, knowledge, and having fun. Early hip-hop had a lot of socially conscious personalities spreading these values to some degree or another. People like Bambaataa and Chuck D from Public Enemy and KRS-One are really outspoken about the state of hip hop now, and how it goes against those core values that it espoused in the early days.

Chuck D has worked pretty extensively on two documentaries (both highly recommended) - one called Consequences and Repercussions. http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-236765144374628955 and another called Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes. http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2020029531334253002

He talks a lot about the negative imagery of modern hip-hop and calls for more awareness on behalf of the artists.

There are some artists out there now who are showing promise in this direction, but not nearly enough.

I really think that part of the 'new movement' will be more music with a message.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

wait. wait. wait. did you just call nirvana hair metal?? **** you in your tight little asshole
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain
Quote by mathieupM13
If you want to see scary pics you should google Rosie O’Donnell
Quote by Metal claw
I don't really have a preference as to what genre becomes popular next.

But I wouldn't mind seeing more Avril Lavignes in the music industry, I think she looks sexually attractive when she's wearing make up. Perhaps her successor can pull it off without wearing anything.

You've certainly been gone for a long time.
Quote by nirvana23freak
wait. wait. wait. did you just call nirvana hair metal?? **** you in your tight little asshole

Really? Was that needed. Read it again please.
Country
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by nirvana23freak

Ignorance = bliss.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
@jazzcore... very good point. However... there will be a next generation of hip hop - though yes, it will be a movement of a style or subgenre within it, as grunge and hair-metal are both subgenres of rock.

CT

Quote by nirvana23freak

No, I said that Nevermind was the catalyst that blew down the house of cards known as hair metal.

CT

Quote by keithmoon15

It's survived for about 80 years. I won't die out too easily.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by axemanchris
I'll apologize... this might get a bit lengthy, but I think it needs to be...

Consider that music is cyclical. Typically, a genre will start small, quickly gather momentum, become bloated and predictable, having achieved the status of way more style over substance, and then self-destruct when a catalyst is introduced. Perfect example... hair metal. Ultimately, the catalyst was the Nevermind album, and the whole thing came crashing down almost overnight like a house of cards.

Now... consider hip-hop. It is, undeniably, the biggest cultural movement of the Western world in this generation. It started off underground, and is now, sitting in the same precarious position that hair metal was in 1990. Take your average hip-hop video, and it's all about the bling bling (cf. glam) and image is everything. Substance is virtually non-existant. Everyone is just spouting about how great they are, or how bad-ass they are. Take out the gangsta brothers and replace them with long-haired skinny white dudes with tatoos and you have Girls Girls Girls-era Motley Crue all over again.

It takes itself far too seriously, and is on probably fourth-generation recycling artifacts.... just like hair metal had Warrant, Firehouse, etc. - all a pretty far cry from the first-generation Crue's, Ratt's, etc.

So.... given that premise... it is only a matter of time before hip hop caves in on itself and buckles under its own weight. All it needs is a catalyst. What's on the horizon?

I think whatever it is is out there already. It just hasn't been picked up on the radar yet. Hip Hop won't die, just like hard rock never died. It just mutated. It became more honest in presentation, more gritty, much less slick in production and image, and more organic in sound. What will the next mutation of hip hop sound like? What will it look like?

What will the next big thing be that will replace hip hop as we know it... or at least as what it has become of itself?

Thoughts?

CT

I think you're confused. First of all, you can't compare hip-hop to hair metal because that's comparing a genre to a sub-genre. Hair metal died, but last time I checked, metal is still alive and well in other forms. And to say substance is non-existant in hip-hop is absurd. Listen to the human the death dance cd by sage francis or undisputed truth by brother ali and tell me there is no substance in hip-hop music. Ridiculous. You're basing your entire argument on the mainstream, and in the mainstream, genres "become bloated" when money can be made off them. Every rat wants to get a piece of the cheese! Once the cheese is gone, the rats move on to find food elsewhere. That's why genres seem to "die".

But they never really die. Hair metal is still alive and well (they just call it emo, now. OOOH! buuurrrn.) Having said that, I think a better question would be, "What genre will clear channel rape and pillage and leave for dead after they're finally done with defiling the corpses of nu-metal and hip-hop?"
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
^I hope you're not calling Jazz/Blues hip hop...
Nebredit: to that guy who said it's been 80 years...
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by nebraskan
^I hope you're not calling Jazz/Blues hip hop...
Nebredit: to that guy who said it's been 80 years...

What's a Nebredit?
Quote by Avedas
What's a Nebredit?

a nebraskan edit, I assume.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
a nebraskan edit, I assume.

Sounds stupid to me.

Avedit: Yup, I was right.
Nebraskan Edit= Nebredit
I'm not in the pit very much *looks at sig*
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by the_poison125
*sigh*

His names nebrasken

NEBrasken
------EDIT:

I get the idea, it's just stupid. As bad as asian smileys where every sentence ends with ^^;"^_^o_OxD
Quote by RPGoof
I want classical back!

If only that would happen.....It would be way cooler if it were all really dark with some dark theme chorus stuff....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's always hard to say. I bet the majority of UGers consider the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, etc. to be the big bands of the 60s. With the exception of the Beatles, this isn't true; Neil Sedaka and other pop machines were on top. You're asking us what's going to be popular, and I say more of the same: rap, hip hop, R&B, this weird country-pop crap that the whole college system in America seems to willingly permeate, and the basic Pop artists like Mariah Carey etc. If you're asking anything else, you're just asking for what we want to hear besides hip hop and what we are going to selectively find and listen to ourselves.
In that case, this thread has nothing more to say, but I'm not enough of a prick to say "CLOSE THE THREAD, BECAUSE I JUST SOLVED IT."

Quote by aaron6890
hardcore/screamo definately the next big thing, like 5 hardcore bands go to my school, and everyone i talk to lately has been talking about hardcore music. its going to get big. trust me.

Ugh, it's barely any different from emo. When emo goes, hardcore will be right on its tail.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Last edited by crazynickman at Apr 27, 2008,
^That's too bad...
IMO of course!
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Page 1 of 2