actually improvise their solos? I mean the ones that they do for their studio records. There are some awfully epic solos out there, and it kind of makes you think whose writing theirs and who is really improvising...

I know it isn't a huge deal, it really comes down to weather it's enjoyable to listen to or not because it's music, but i was just wondering.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Flying Couch
Zakk Wylde claims he does, though I hesitate to believe him.

I refuse to believe that...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I know ome songs were totally spurr of the monet and a lot of players improv live...like slash...his solos are very rarely note for note...and a studio example is Andy Summers on Every Breath You Take. Apparenty he walked in, and started recording before he even heard the song, and that was that.
John Frusciante does.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Most guitarists write up their solos prior to their recording. Either that, or they've improvised it so many times that they just follow a generic structure.
hendrix, frusciante, slash, srv? also most blues players obviously and well... me, heck i improv just about everytime i solo whether it is my own solo or a cover i rarely play note for note, where is the individualism in that?
My Gear

Guitars:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Standard Strat

Cort Acoustic

Amp:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Tony Iommi often does.

Probably something to do with his solo recording method, record 10 and pick the best one.
i know Satriani improvs all the solos for his records

John Petrucci does whenever he feels like it, or randomly plays a simpsons tune in live concerts
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Common misconception. He's usually out of tune or just screwing it up.

and i sit and wonder, falling under .
Any jazz musician.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TheyCllMeDrLove
Gilmour wrote Comfortably Numbs' Solo.

yeah he wrote all of his solos...he would write 3 solos, then pikc the best one out of the 3, or blend them all into 1.
Quote by Haggard13
yeah he wrote all of his solos...he would write 3 solos, then pikc the best one out of the 3, or blend them all into 1.

For some Epic win.
James Hetfield improvises solos on songs he demos and a lot of the Black album's solos were improvised and practiced again later by Kirk Hammet.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

I do think there is an art and talent to improvised solos, but even those have general guide lines. Like how it starts is always the same but it goes into something random...

ALTHOUGH!!! With improvised solos, there is less you can do. The duel harmonized guitars are less possible when it is made up on the spot, and some studio solos are simply amazing.. Even if they are the same every time, doesn't mean they are not good and it didn't take talent to write.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by Haggard13

and in doing so, he would end up with a total of three, count them THREE notes played.