Use your pinky, you didnt use it at all!!! Useing your pinky helps Alot and you can play better!
i noticed straight away UR PINKY is like a dead soldier man in the song,,, just because it may not need the pinky doesnt mean he jumps off the guitars neck

some sections sound nice but then there are others just sound like il lthrow that in

the main theme could be turned to something awesome if u were to add a rhythm section in and make it sound smoother not like play play pause play play pause

overall ur doing fine for a first year, but use ur pinky or at least move it closer to the guitrar
haha ya i know ive been trying alot but its just so hard to get used to. but ya ive been focusing alot on that but for that video i just wanted to play it good. but when i practice i try to use it.
and what main theme. haha and ya i was trying to add some rythym parts in but i just cant seem to write good rytym stuff well.
haha ok. and ya thanks for the help ive really been trying to fix the pinky thing. and ya about some parts randomly thrown in thats exactly what was happening. haha i was improvising alot of it. i just keep the main idea i dont have it written anywhere i just memorize it then change it around a little every time. Does anybody have any advice for writing rythem parts? cause im good at just the notes cause i know some scales. i used the minor pentatonic and blues alot in it. but what can i do for rythym parts that will help make the song more complete. cause i knew that was missing
hey for help with ur pinky try just playing something like

2,3,4,5 on any string in that order but obviously 2 is ur index 3, ur rude and so forth

then try it on other strings, speed it up, then even make gaps with it

or even

Other than the pinky which I think isn't too detrimental unless you want to shred or something...for advice i'd say work on your vibrato a little bit because it seemed a little uneven at times. Also I'd say, take out some notes and work on phrasing some of the stuff some more with some repetition so there's a little more rhythm in there. But overall nice job, and keep up the good work!
k thanks that really means alot. and shows that my hard work is paying off. and ya i really have to write down a final version so everything fits. and thanks for the advice with my pinky.
tone it down a bit, sometimes less is more. it sounds like you thrown riffs from different songs together. you do have the skills to make a good song just do a little less.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
i dont think i used any riffs from any songs. haha. ya i know i tend to think to much and try to make it complex instead of simple. its just how my mind works
I don't know, but the whole pinky thing bothers me. lol
It could help you out alot.

And another question, Music theory?
Know it, learning it, or just no?
ya i watched the video and ya the pinky bothers me too. haha. i try so hard it just feels so weird.

and i just started learning theory like a month ago. i know like 8 scales. alot about the major scale. and i know about key signatures and stuff. still alot more to learn about it though
Intervals and chords. That's where it's at
But just try to use the pinky more often
It feels weird at first.
But if you use it more and more, it becomes natural
And it'll increase your skill by 10%
ya okay ill really start working on that. and also am i doing good for a year of playing. or am i behind
Quote by bWsWwrestler
ya i watched the video and ya the pinky bothers me too. haha. i try so hard it just feels so weird.

and i just started learning theory like a month ago. i know like 8 scales. alot about the major scale. and i know about key signatures and stuff. still alot more to learn about it though
just do easy scales that work your pink too

E I-1-2-3-4-
A I-1-2-3-4-
D I-1-2-3-4-
G I-1-2-3-4-
B I-1-2-3-4-
e I-1-2-3-4-

and if you want to get really crazy throw some opens in there

E I-0-1-2-3-4-
A I-0-1-2-3-4-
D I-0-1-2-3-4-
G I-0-1-2-3-4-
B I-0-1-2-3-4-
e I-0-1-2-3-4-

just keep doing that untill you get use to using your pinky or untill you want to quit your guitar and play the flute
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
good advice

id work on some trills using your pinky too, that'll develop its strength and accruate along the fretboard
I'll have to follow the trend and suggest to really try to focus on getting your pinky going. Some good songs that require the pinky are the good old 12 bar blues rock and roll type songs like Johnny B Goode and Roll Over Beethoven.

If you get your little finger working early down the line, it'll really pay off.

Good job anyway!!
I basically would just go along with the pinky comments. Chromatic scales will fix that in time, though.

What kinda gear are you using in that vid?
all good but your song needs more....anyone (well not anyone but you know) can put together a whole lot of notes and call it a song, take canon rock for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&feature=related

its just heaps of notes but its got more of a Rhythm your song needs some awesome riffs ors something....some power chords and a chorus.

keep working on it
(and use your pinky! try the maj and minor pentatonic scales)
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
No offense, but I think that sucked.. Not the playing, but the song. It was just a couple of random notes played after each other without any trace of rhythm or feeling. Learn some more theory, stay within your scales and repeat. It's not bad to repeat, it makes a song better if not used to much.
At the moment it's just random notes, you need a chord progression under there to pull it together into something coherent. That'll also help with the few times when you slid to the wrong note or position, if you know the chords you're working over they act as a kind of road map.

Also, you said you made a few mistakes....well technically you didn't, you wrote it, therefore whatever you play is automatically right!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Too choppy and too many mistakes, also the song is incredibly disordered and atonal.
Your playing seems kind of stiff.
Loosey-goosey man, loosey-goosey.
Other than that, it's alright for playing just a year. You just have to get more rhythm in your playing, and maybe with a better song structure (chorus, etc)
Actually, i'm gonna comment on your youtube video on the site itself (I have the same username as on UG). And check out my guitar video. That's how you should kind of incorporate rhythm into your songs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by slayer89
What kinda gear are you using in that vid?

Im using an agile 3100 CSB through a roland microcube, love both of them, not great but good for practicing
I left you a comment on youtube.
Check out my youtube video and that is a good example of what you should try to incorporate into your songs. It's still an improv, but I did have rhythm parts going on along with different riffs and licks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by bWsWwrestler

I'd say you're as good as I was back then. I don't know if I was behind though xD
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by darkarbiter7
I left you a comment on youtube.
Check out my youtube video and that is a good example of what you should try to incorporate into your songs. It's still an improv, but I did have rhythm parts going on along with different riffs and licks.

yup i watched it and commented. that really helped give me ideas what to do.
i would suggest not attempting tapping or any advanced techniques right now.. first get the basics down (power chords, sliding etc..) then move onto the harder stuff
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
im actually very good at tapping. i just put on a new string today and i was used to playing that entire song without the high e string. so it was more flexible when tapping and screwed me up. and ya im ok at sliding i guess. And im good at powerchords i just dont bother with them ever
look at the advanced skills thread some where around here lists all the advanced techniques.. oh and sweeping?
ya ive looked at the list a little bit and sweeping... not my thing. haha i put like an hour into it then gave up. im not much of a shredder anyways
sweeping isnt just used for shredding and metal it is also used in many genres.. steve vai for instance *eugunes trick bag*
Quote by Milkywaykid1
sweeping isnt just used for shredding and metal it is also used in many genres.. steve vai for instance *eugunes trick bag*

hmm
the arpeggios in eugenes trick bag are all alternate picked
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
thats a song?

could have fooled me.

maybe you just arent very creative lol

you have 0 feeling at all, just a bunch of random notes you threw together in im guess ~10min?

want to learn how to improv and actually sound decent?
watch this video (marty friedman's melodic control, FREE on google video):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=melodic+control&ei=Jh4VSOyCK4WEqgOijqTTBA

Note: you will need to know your basic chords, and scales in order to actually learn anything of much use in the video...and after watching your "song" it seems apparent that you really dont know anything about theory, or how to even play scales...so maybe learn that first.

Most peoples' first song is based upon a scale they like, and sounds really scale-like, so they try to improve it by adding some originality etc etc....

yours however sounded like **** and was just a bunch of random crap.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Apr 27, 2008,
I thought it was terrible
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger