Page 1 of 2
How well do you think concept albums are recieved among modern audiences what with downloading and such is there really place for concept albums in future music?
Why wouldn't there be? It's going to sell just like any other normal album.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
All a concept album is is an album which carries on a theme through the whole album.

Most people don't even realise they're listening to a concept album.

Iron Maiden's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" is a concept album and most Maiden fans I've talked to didn't even know.
Ghost Reveries was mostly a concept album. Damn good, too. Too bad the video for The Grand Conjuration had nothing to do with it.
Quote by Avedas
Ghost Reveries was mostly a concept album. Damn good, too. Too bad the video for The Grand Conjuration had nothing to do with it.

im suprised you didnt mention ziltoid.

ziltoid the omniscient - Devin townsend

ziltoid the omniscient is looking for best cup of coffee, yeah. just good damn songs
I think to have commercial success with a concept album these days is still very possible (love em or hate em, My Chemical Romance had 2 huge successes with concept albums) but they need to have songs that will work with singles on them. If there's nothing to hook a commercial audience in, then it's not gonna do well, it's really that simple.
Quote by Weybl Himself
(love em or hate em, My Chemical Romance had 2 huge successes with concept albums)

2? Wasn't it only The Black Parade?
Quote by theshroomman
im suprised you didnt mention ziltoid.

ziltoid the omniscient - Devin townsend

ziltoid the omniscient is looking for best cup of coffee, yeah. just good damn songs

Yeah I'm an idiot, I really should have. Another good one is Symphony X's V: The New Mythology Suite (2000).
Quote by InvaderTSN

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge was a concept album too, it was based on Demolition Lovers, the last song on their first album
Quote by Weybl Himself
Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge was a concept album too, it was based on Demolition Lovers, the last song on their first album

I see. I've only listened to Three Cheers and Black Parade so I wouldn't have known what it was based on.
Quote by InvaderTSN

Actually, i'm pretty sure all three of their albums are concept albums.

The first one was about this couple (somewhat like Bonnie and Clyde).

The second one is about the girl dying and the guy making a deal with the devil to collect him God knows how many souls in orded to get her back.

The third is about a dying cancer patient's journey through his memories while being led by death itself.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Quote by Jersey_Zombie
Actually, i'm pretty sure all three of their albums are concept albums.

The first one was about this couple (somewhat like Bonnie and Clyde).

The second one is about the girl dying and the guy making a deal with the devil to collect him God knows how many souls in orded to get her back.

The third is about a dying cancer patient's journey through his memories while being led by death itself.

Nah the first album was just a regular album, Demolition Lovers was the Bonnie and Clyde song, but the rest were just songs, that's what they've said in interviews anyway.
Quote by Avedas

Not...really...

Mikael said it was going to be a concept album, but when he wrote the lyrics for Isolation Years, he decided to scrap the idea.

Learn your stuff.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
The Wall by Pink Floyd is a good one.
Quote by Wiki

The album's overriding themes are the causes and implications of self-imposed isolation, symbolized by the metaphorical wall of the title. The album's songs create a very loose storyline sketching events in the life of the protagonist, Pink. Pink loses his father as a child (Waters's own father was killed in Anzio during World War II), is smothered by his overprotective mother, and is oppressed at school by tyrannical, abusive teachers, each of these traumas becoming "another brick in the wall". As an adult Pink becomes a rock star, but his relationships are marred by infidelity and outbursts of violence. As his marriage crumbles, Pink finishes building the wall and completes his isolation from human contact.

Pink's mindset deteriorates behind his freshly completed wall, with his personal crisis culminating during an onstage performance. Hallucinating, Pink believes that he is a fascist dictator, and his concerts are like Neo-Nazi rallies where he sets his men on fans he considers unworthy, only to have his conscience rebel at this and put himself on trial, his inner judge ordering him to "tear down the wall" in order to open himself to the outside world. At this point the album's end runs into its beginning with the closing words "Isn't this where..."; the first song on the album, "In the Flesh?", begins with the words "...we came in?" – with a continuation of the melody of the last song, Outside the Wall – hinting at the cyclical nature of Waters's theme.

The LP's sleeve art and custom picture labels by Gerald Scarfe tied in with the album's concept. Side one had a quarter of the wall erected and a sketch of the teacher. Side two saw half of the wall erected and a sketch of the wife. Side three had three-quarters of the wall erected and a sketch of the character of Pink, while side four had the wall completely erected and a sketch of the prosecutor.
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
Green Day - American Idiot

Case closed
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Not...really...

Mikael said it was going to be a concept album, but when he wrote the lyrics for Isolation Years, he decided to scrap the idea.

Learn your stuff.

Yeah, he says on Opeth's site that it was going to be about the various stages of Demonic Possession, but Isolation Years was too good to not use.

I have no idea how MCR's albums have concepts, I think they just say that to look deep.

Dream Theaters' Scenes From A Memory and Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime are cool.
Call me Batman.
Of course there's room for it in the future, more room if anything.

Anyway, there'd better be, because the concept album I just finished is going to blow your balls back inside your body.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Protest The Hero's first 2 albums are both amazing concept albums. But my personal favorite has to be Tommy by The Who.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Protest The Hero's first 2 albums are both amazing concept albums.

You're not including fortress?

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
You're not including fortress?

I count a Calculated Use Of Sound as a EP but yes it is also amazing. So when I said first two I meant Keiza and Fortress.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
I count a Calculated Use Of Sound as a EP but yes it is also amazing. So when I said first two I meant Keiza and Fortress.

oh.. I only have one song off calculated use of sound anyway, can't get it in england, even on itunes...

But why didn't you just say 'both of pth's albums'?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Protest The Hero's first 2 albums are both amazing concept albums. But my personal favorite has to be Tommy by The Who.

Fortress isn't really a concept album. Some of the songs are linked to each other but the theme doesn't run all the way through the album.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
Quote by J.A.M

I have no idea how MCR's albums have concepts, I think they just say that to look deep.

The Black Parade tells the story of a teenager with cancer. Like seriously, just look up the lyrics, it's pretty obvious.

And a question - What separates a Rock Opera from a regular Concept Album?
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
dont forget the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars!!!

Theyl just be the same. i dont think it will get to a point where no one listens to full albums anymore. there will laways be people who do and people who dont.

oh and my fave album of all time, mellon collie and the infinite sadness by smashing pumpkins is a concept album about life, according to the corgster
My favorite has got to be Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by the Flaming Lips. From Wiki -

"Indie rock band, The Flaming Lips's album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, follows the story of Yoshimi, a Japanese girl who is trained to battle robots intent on destroying humanity. One robot is different - "one more robot longs to be more than a machine." After two tracks defining the characters and two tracks of fighting, Yoshimi and the robot fall in love, creating the central conflict of the story."
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
I'm waiting patiently for Nostradamus by Judas Priest.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Anyone looking for a very good concept album should check out 'Thick As A Brick' by Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson wrote it to take the piss out of all the concept albums coming out at the time. Quite coincidentally, it was also miles better than all the other concept albums out at the time.

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
My favorite albums are concept albums.

Ziggy Stardust, Arthur or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, Addicted to Bad Ideas (Peter Lorre's 20th Century), Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Animals...I just really love how all of the songs are related to one another, and they tell a story.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Last edited by Gunpowder at Apr 27, 2008,
I absolutely adore concept albums. It's really rather difficult to predict whether or not concept albums will continue to be successful in the future because the music industry as it stands is very based upon singles. Therefore, most people will only hear the singles released off of the concept album and so the album will only be as successful as the singles.

A good example of this is Green Day's "American Idiot". It was/is an extremely successful concept album that had commercial success with American Idiot, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Jesus Suburbia - five singles.

There will always be people who will buy the whole album and listen to each and every track (like myself) but a lot of music is only as successful as the singles that the band releases.

Anyways, I adore concept albums and would be interested in hearing some more. Any suggestions? Here's a list of some I already know:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Who - Tommy
The Who - Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
The Mars Volta - Amputechture
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath
Green Day - American Idiot
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Red Sparrowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
____________ - Jesus Christ Superstar
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

For some reason The White Stripes' "Get Behind Me Satan" was listed as a concept album on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Concept_albums&from=Hunt+for+the+Gingerbread+Man%2C+The). I love it too, but didn't consider it a concept album...
All of Coheed & Cambria's are amazing and are all obivouslt consepts.

I'd proberly understnad it if i read the stpry tho
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Quote by Tsunoyukami
List of Concept Albums

Andrew Lloyd Webber did Jesus Christ Superstar.

To add to the list:

The Who - The Who Sell Out
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
King Diamond - "Them"
King Diamond - Conspiracy
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (This one is amazing)
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is debatable...I tend to think it was a concept album even though the band never actually admitted it.
Page 1 of 2