What does a cab and head do? Does any noise come out of the head? If not, what the hell is the point of it? Can anyone just explain the whole shabang about half stacks and such? Please?
Cabinets are speakers u hear the term 2x12 or 4x12 something like that 2 x 12 means 2 speakers that are 12 inch each and 4 x 12 obviously 4 speakers by 12 inch

the head is the actual amplifier though being seperate from the cab means it can focus on the tone and volume etc and other thing while the cab is just there FOR LOUDNESS
the head amplifies the signal coming from your guitar

the cab is just a speaker, and the head has no internal speaker, so this is where the sound comes out.

imagine a combo split in 2
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
the head is the amp itself... its where the guitar signal is processed and amplified. the cab is simply a box with 2 or 4 speakers or more and its where the sound comes out of and it is connected to the head. the head itself doesn't make any sound.... a half stack is a head and a cab sold as one...
the head is the amplifier, no sound comes from the head unless you plug it into the cabinet. the cabinet is where the speakers are held and where the sound from the amplifier comes out. personally i prefer to buy an amp head rather than a combo amp ( amp and speakers in the same chasis) and just use a 2x12 cab or a 4x12 depending on where i'm playing. generally a head will be cheaper than a combo so if you already own a cab you can save some money and buy other stuff.
So the actual watt value of the system comes from the head, the cab just amplifies the amount of watts the head gives off, right?
Quote by Martindecorum
yep

Edit: My mistake

Edit: the head has to be more watts than the cab

wrong

the cab has to have a higher wattage than the head, otherwise it can get damaged
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
And by damaged, he means the speakers will blow out.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
Quote by Martindecorum
think about it if u have 250 w head and 250 w speakers u will run the amp at 100% causing added natural distortion

its called headroom

The only added distortion your going to get from the speakers alone is if you fry them, and it's not going to sound good. Cab Wattage > Head Wattage.

Headroom (as far as amps are concerned) is the amount of volume the amp can produce without distorting. And that's the amp itself, not the cab and speakers.

But hey, if you wanna blow out your speakers for "headroom", have fun.
alright, Headroom generally refers to the fact that an amp running at its maximum output will introduce distortion, much the same as your car makes a lot more noise as your speed increases.

For example: If you need 250 watts of power and only have a 250w amp, you'd be running the amp at 100%. If your needs were the same, but you had a 500w amp, you'd run at 50%, and with much greater clarity, and so on.

The 'headroom' is a result of the fact that amps actually don't operate on the basis of how much they let out, it's how much they let IN, and therefore, THROUGH! Running more power at a lower volume gives you all of the rich fullness, and hearty flavor a powerful amp provides, but without the total POTENTIAL volume.
The thing is, your cab has nothing to do with how much output your amp makes.

Do me a favor: go get a 100 watt head, plug it into a 50 watt cab, crank the amp, and enjoy your "headroom".
Quote by Moe.

LOOOOL
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Quote by xdeathxcorex
f u c k i n g funny mother-f u c k e r aren't you

No, due to the fact that I didn't make that picture.
So say i put a 200 watt head on a 400 watt cab...how much output would i get in total?
Last edited by mattj2192 at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by mattj2192
So say i put a 200 watt head on a 400 watt cab...how much output would i get in total?

200W.. I think <<
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Head = Amplifier (where the signal from the electric guitar is processed)
Cabinet = Loudspeaker (where the processed signal is now sent to the speakers in the loudspeaker cabinet to be produced into sound waves)

There is no sound coming out of the head, if there is, go see a doctor ASAP.
Quote by sektor47
Head = Amplifier (where the signal from the electric guitar is processed)
Cabinet = Loudspeaker (where the processed signal is now sent to the speakers in the loudspeaker cabinet to be produced into sound waves)

There is no sound coming out of the head, if there is, go see a doctor ASAP.

U missed the entire topic, we aint even talking about volume coming out of the head we are talking about wattage matching
Listen... natural distortion DOES NOT come from your speaker cabs. If your getting distortion from "farting" your speakers.. you have a major problem. WHen you drive an amp at full gain.. your breaking up the tubes which in turn gives your warm distortion. You cabinet must be able to handle the same amount or more wattage. Now ohms come in to play as well... the lower the resistance a cabinet is rated, the less wattage should be pumped through. Hence.. you see ratings of I.e. 100w @ 16 ohms and 50 watts @ 4 ohm... etc etc. You also have to consider the preamp section of your amplifier as well.... you cant crank up your pedals to the max and crank your gain also.

Wattage and volume is all related.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
wrong

the cab has to have a higher wattage than the head, otherwise it can get damaged

wrong +1

Most full stacks are lets say (the cabs only) 500W, what head do you know of 500W??? You'll have to chain 5 Mesa F-100 together!!!
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
Listen... natural distortion DOES NOT come from your speaker cabs. If your getting distortion from "farting" your speakers.. you have a major problem. WHen you drive an amp at full gain.. your breaking up the tubes which in turn gives your warm distortion.

How do you explain that Greenbacks brake up faster than V30's? Speakers do matter imo.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl