Is it possible to get a decent tube amp for £200 (400$)?
I play music like new found glory, paramore, jimmy eat world etc.
It needs to be reliable and able to play over drums.

EDIT: I would be willing to spend more, probably around £400.
EDIT 2: Do you know of any amps with a similar sound to the jcm900 series?
I like those amps but I know that the combos have been discontinued (i think?)
Last edited by doubtfull at Apr 28, 2008,
Laney LC15, perhaps?
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by happy-and-lost
Laney LC15, perhaps?

I've heard they're really unreiliable because it has such cheap parts and i've heard it overheats a lot. I was on harmony central and someone put in a review that the little bit that holds the tubes melted and that it rattles when you turn it up too loud.
You aren't going to get an all valve amp made with quality parts for £200 ('cept maybe an Epiphone Valve Jr)
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by happy-and-lost
You aren't going to get an all valve amp made with quality parts for £200 ('cept maybe an Epiphone Valve Jr)

Okay, forget the £200 bit then :P
I'm going to save up more. Are there any other amps you could
recommend around £400 or less?
Quote by Horlicks
There's nothing wrong with the LC-15's, maybe it was the older models?

Aren't the tubes mounted using plastic or something, so they melt? And the one's in the review were from 2001-2006
Last edited by doubtfull at Apr 28, 2008,
save up another 100 and you can get an Orange TT (the combo when its released maybe?)
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by musicfreak003
save up another 100 and you can get an Orange TT (the combo when its released maybe?)

I've heard the TT is too "dark" for pop punk music. whatever that means. When is the combo out?
TT was actually the amp I was gonna get before I got my VC15, but spending that kind of money on an amp with so little versatility was big no-no for me

P.S. Dark means bassy, brght means trebly
Quote by Horlicks
TT was actually the amp I was gonna get before I got my VC15, but spending that kind of money on an amp with so little versatility was big no-no for me

P.S. Dark means bassy, brght means trebly

Ohhh okay, thanks. Can you suggest a different amp, but not the LC. I mean, i know you say there's nothing wrong with it but I don't want to take any risks since anything i get usually breaks...
Quote by Horlicks
VC15 is the only other choice in that price range

Around 200 pounds you mean? I'd be willing to spend more than that, maybe around 400, i just need to save.
peavey valveking maybe?

or laney vc15/30 (though those might sound too vintage)?

peavey classic 30 (though peaveys aren't amazing value in the UK)?

marshall dsl401?

several options there for around the £300-£400 mark. £200 is a bit more awkward.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
peavey valveking maybe?

or laney vc15/30 (though those might sound too vintage)?

peavey classic 30 (though peaveys aren't amazing value in the UK)?

marshall dsl401?

several options there for around the £300-£400 mark. £200 is a bit more awkward.

I've heard really mixed opinions on the dsl401, like it has a crap speaker (same as the mg apparently). Is there any truth in that? Also, are there any other problems with that amp because I was considering getting it for a while but stuff I've heard about it has put me off.
^ no idea if it's the same speaker as the mg, but it does seem to be one of the first things most people upgrade...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no idea if it's the same speaker as the mg, but it does seem to be one of the first things most people upgrade...

Damn, i dont think I could really be bothered to change the speaker, too much hassle since I can't do it myself and all the guitar shops around here are rubbish. I might just save up for like 4 months and get an orange rocker 30. I tried the rockerverb 50 once and it was a really nice amp.
^ Changing a speaker is no harder than plugging something into a socket, you just unscrew the old one and go
Quote by Horlicks
^ Changing a speaker is no harder than plugging something into a socket, you just unscrew the old one and go

Really? Oh i thought it was more complicated than that :P
But still, i think it'd be easier to get an amp that is good stock rather
than having to change stuff as soon as i get it. Do you know any amps similar sounding to the jcm900?
yeah, as long as they have the quick connects, it's pretty simple (as far as i'm aware). no soldering or anything like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?